PDA

View Full Version : Compact crank in an 8 spd set-up?

thwart
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Has anyone used a compact crank (like FSA or Stronglight---those designed for both 9 and 10 spd) in an 8 spd set-up?

The problem: Wife's bike is currently built with a beautiful Campy Athena 8 spd gruppo, 53/39 crank and 13/26 cassette. She's growing tired of low cadence climbing... but loves the simplicity of 8 spd shifting, and the 650c Campy wheels (it's a 49 cm Waterford frame) with smooooth 8 spd hubs. I've been trying to figure out a way to help her on the hills without dumping the baby out with the bathwater...

Haven't had much luck finding wider range 8 spd cassettes, and after all, the RD is short cage.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Ray
10-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Has anyone used a compact crank (like FSA or Stronglight---those designed for both 9 and 10 spd) in an 8 spd set-up?

The problem: Wife's bike is currently built with a beautiful Campy Athena 8 spd gruppo, 53/39 crank and 13/26 cassette. She's growing tired of low cadence climbing... but loves the simplicity of 8 spd shifting, and the 650c Campy wheels (it's a 49 cm Waterford frame) with smooooth 8 spd hubs. I've been trying to figure out a way to help her on the hills without dumping the baby out with the bathwater...

Haven't had much luck finding wider range 8 spd cassettes, and after all, the RD is short cage.

May not be helpful in that it doesn't involve Campy, but... I used to have a compact crank (I think it was one of the older Ritchey square taper cranks) with Shimano 8-speed. I was using barcons and DT shifters though, so the front was totally friction and perhaps a bit easier to get to work than with an ergo shifter. Still, if you can set up the front derailure to work with the compact crank, the shifters and chain should be fine. I'd be very surprised if its a problem.

-Ray

maunahaole
10-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Could you use an old style mountain crank that has the big ring in the 48-50 range and just take the granny ring off? I have a FD that will work for this in 1.25" clamp size. Old school XTR would be sweet.

TMB
10-07-2008, 08:04 PM

I've used a Compact with a 6 speed set-up.

No issues at all.

staggerwing
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I thought a Campy front wasn't truly indexed anyway. Set the limits on the front deraileur, and trim away as needed to run silent.

I'm running a Sugino Alpina II triple on my Campy 9speed shod bike, and a regular Campy Veloce double on my otherwise Shimano equipped commuter. Neither setup has given me any issue whatsoever.

Jump right in, the water is fine.

rustychisel
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Agree. Something like a Stronglight Impact for 9 speed is your (wifes) friend.

palincss
10-08-2008, 07:30 AM
How about a 48/34 double like this Sugino Alpina? Even comes in a 165mm length.
http://velo-orange.com/sualcr.html

The TA Pro 5 Vis also lets you create some fairly low-geared doubles, such as
48/30 or 46/30. Also comes in a 165mm length. Inner rings for the TA come as
small as 26 teeth on up to 36 teeth in 2-tooth increments.
http://velo-orange.com/pro5viscr.html (arms)
http://velo-orange.com/tapro5visch.html (rings)

thwart
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your kind replies and suggestions.

She actually can wheel pretty well, so the 48 may not be her cup o' tea. ;)

My assumption is that a 9 spd chain would be the best way to go... but maybe I'm wrong and the 8spd chain'll work just fine. I suppose I'll try that first.

This may mean no more waiting at the top. Well... now she'll be doing the waiting. :D

Vancouverdave
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll second the Sugino Alpina recommendation--a great functioning, good value crank that uses a pre-fraudulent-era square bottom bracket.
A source for custom 8 speed cassettes with as large as 28 teeth and any steps in between that you want are the Miche Primato brand. Your LBS can order them from Red Rose Imports in PA. I retail them for $80, so they're only slightly more money than a Shimano Ultegra cassette.

sc53
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Thwart--I was in the exact same situation--I have a beautiful 8-sp Campy Record group on my CSI that's in excellent condition, but I couldn't hack the 53/39 anymore on any kind of hills. I called Peter White Cycles and got a beautiful TA Specialities crankset, I think I went with a 48 outer ring and a 34 inner, plus he had an IRD cassette 12-28 that was compatible with my Campy 8-sp hubs. My old CSI has a braze on for the front derailleur so that was the only hitch; the slot had to be filed down a little on the bottom to allow for proper gap with the new 48 tooth ring. The new look is beautiful and the shifting is perfect. Plus I can now ride the CSI on hilly rides, which I couldn't do with the old set up. Peter White is an expert at advising on these conversions, mine worked perfectly.
Oh, and you just keep using an 8-speed chain.

vqdriver
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
i've run 8sp setup with compact, but all shimano.
i had 600 tricolor sti setup with a r700 50/34 compact, 12-25 cassette, and 9 speed chain. all shimano components. the rear shifting was fine with the 9sp chain. but with the gear spread up front i was not able to cross up small/small. the 9sp chain was too wide to clear the shifting pins on the shimano crank. not a trim issue.
10sp chain was too narrow for the rear to work consistently. i think with a 48 or smaller big ring up front you'd be fine.