PDA

View Full Version : New Time Pedal

saab2000
11-06-2004, 07:55 AM
I have seen that Time is introducing a new pedal. I am a bit surprised at this as the Impact has not really been on the market for that long and this new pedal seems to be one which will take the Impact's place.

I know that the Impact has not had great acceptance in the marketplace, but that is IMHO, based largely on price. They are not cheap. But they are a good pedal and I really like mine.

It seems as though about 90% of US riders ride Speedplays or Shimano Dura-Ace.

Anyone have any idea on the new times and if they bring anything new?

dirtdigger88
11-06-2004, 08:30 AM
I did read (I think?) that the platform is actually SMALLER. I may be wrong- but that seems to have caught my eye. I found it funny after all the flack Speedplay has taken over the years for the small platforms that one of the companies giving all the flack is joining the fold. Like I said- I may be wrong- I just saw a picture in one of the Euro. mags as of late.

Jason

Johny
11-06-2004, 12:18 PM
According to Bicycling (they keep sending new issues to me even though I've stopped my subscription...), there is one functional difference: the release point is fixed at 15 degrees for the new RXS pedals. They are lighter and cheaper (made of cheap plastics? :rolleyes: ). Bicycling also says you cannot feel a difference in ride qualities b/w the RXS and the Impact model. The new cleats are also lighter and are compatible with the Impact model.

Russ
11-06-2004, 02:15 PM
....that the platform is actually SMALLER. I may be wrong- but that seems to have caught my eye.

This is what I have read in Velonews.com (http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/6899.0.html), the actual Time Sport web site (http://www.time-sport.com/), is a bit confusing in terms of finding detailed information on a specific product.

Velonews: "Time RXS The RXS is an all-new design from the clipless-pedal leader. The RXS Ti Carbon has, no surprise, a carbon fiber body and a titanium axle, which yield a claimed per-pair weight of only 195 grams (30 grams lighter than the magnesium-body Impact, which the RXS replaces). The new RXS body is shaped for easier entry, and has a large platform surface for stability. The RXS cleat requires no spacers or adapters for any existing shoes, and offers 2.5mm of lateral (Q-factor) adjustment. Accompanying the RXS pedal is the new RXS shoe, designed in conjunction with DMT, and the VXRS frameset, which comes complete with Time's Translink seat tube, an extended affair that incorporates a seatpost, the Avant Safe+ full carbon fork, Time's patented Quickset pre-adjusted headset, and the Monolink carbon stem. Time even includes a carbon bottle cage in the package for the full Paolo Bettini effect."

I concur with Velonews's description as I heard that several Pro Riders thought that the platform of the Impact is too small.... I remember seeing pictures of Gilberto Simoni's Time Impact pedals with the platform altered with a larger carbon piece, see this article: http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4514.0.html

I have personally not ridden with the RXS pedals (they will be in the USA, mid Nov. 04), but I can't wait to get my hands on a pair and ditch my current Impacts.... Although I would never trade my Times for SpeedPlay, I have had it with the Impact making squeaking noises!!! Although Time is very good at replacing/overhauling their pedals, it is a hassle to have to ship them.

By the way, the new cleats for the RXS's is different than the Impact, so they are NOT interchangeable. :(

Anybody interested in getting Time Impacts and cleats, let me know... I will be selling mine.

saab2000
11-06-2004, 04:28 PM
There is a pretty good chance that my next pedals will not be Times. I like mine, but I am not interested in investing in something new again after having in the past couple years in expensive pedals.

My next ones will probably be Shimanos.

BdaGhisallo
11-06-2004, 05:20 PM
If you guys don't want to wait until the end of the year to get them state-side, they are available in Europe now. Total Cycling, Sigma Sport and Parker Intl all have them in stock.

I have a pair winging their way to me from P.I. I am anxiously awaiting them! I am quite pleased with the decrease in lateral float to 2.5mm and the fact that the lateral float is unaffected by changes in the q factor adjustment which is now achieved by switching cleats from shoe to shoe. The brass cleat is offset some on the cleat base such that switching them gives a different q factor.

Also for some more info check this thread on weightweenies

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

rePhil
11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=saab2000]
It seems as though about 90% of US riders ride Speedplays or Shimano Dura-Ace.

I guess I am a 10 percenter. I went clipless when Look first came to market, and have never switched brands.

Johny
11-06-2004, 06:08 PM
By the way, the new cleats for the RXS's is different than the Impact, so they are NOT interchangeable. :(

Russ are you sure? Check http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 -- "Very important to mention: the old Impact cleats DO work with the new RXS pedals too, so no need to buy new ones..."

boneman
11-09-2004, 06:58 AM
They were on display, prototypes, at the London Bike show in September. I talked to their UK distributor who told he that the cleat is different and not compatible with the Impacts.

He also said that like the Equipes, they would continue to make the Impact cleats.

I was in Verona for the World's and was taking pics of the Spanish team bikes outside of their motorcoach. Interesting to see that Astarloa still rides Equipes.

Russ are you sure? Check http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 -- "Very important to mention: the old Impact cleats DO work with the new RXS pedals too, so no need to buy new ones..."