PDA

View Full Version : So, am I going to get in trouble...?

TimB
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
So, yesterday I got to thinking about it (I was bored), and decided to remove the decals from the chain stays on my Concours (no paint, brushed finish). So, I know the general topic has been covered before....but I have to say, I REALLY like the look of the bare stays compared to having them cluttered with stickers. I mean, what's the use of having all those sexy curves if you just go and hide them?

Smiley
01-09-2004, 04:19 PM
The advantage to your frame is that YOU can change the look every year by just changing the decals. I bet it looks real nice . Ask Sandy about his Nude Ottrott.

Len J
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
I agree, naked chainstays are nice.

Len

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Hubba! Hubba!

BBD:banana:

Chief
01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Did it to my Ottrott and I think it looks better. Simple is beautiful and cool! :cool:

Jay Torborg
01-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I had my chain stays finished with the polished logo against brushed stays. Very subtle but looks classy.

- Jay

Ahneida Ride
01-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Tim B

I requested Naked seat and chain stays.
Small Serotta decal on Downtube. S on downtube.

Serotta builds some of the best looking bikes.
Oj thoses tubes ! and then plasters the frame with Decals.
I just understand this. Shame on Serotta. Shame.

It's kinda like great looking girls that wear makeup. You
just can't improve upon perfection.

Larry D
01-10-2004, 09:37 PM
What method did you use to remove the decals?

TimB
01-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I used a hair dryer and a PLASTIC putty knife. The hot air will soften the decals, making them much easier to scrape off with the putty knife. Really any fairly stiff thin piece of plastic would work. After the majority of the decal is removed, I used paint thinner to remove the residue, then alcohol to remove the paint thinner.

Howie
01-12-2004, 07:45 AM
My Concours was built with no decals, no paint at all.
Benefits:
1. No one knows what kind of bike you ride, therefore reducing the "punk theft" or random "my bike's better than yours" challenges.
2. Easy to clean. Wipe down the frame and you have a perfectly new bike again--at least the frame is.
3. It's that much lighter.
4. All my gear matches my bike.

Cons. No ego boosting "nice bike" words from other riders--see benefit #1.

Howie