PDA

View Full Version : Is it foolish to expect some good change from that which is mostly bad?

RPS
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
For some time I’ve been experiencing soreness in my left shoulder which bothers me when riding; although I can feel it most of the time. Initially I started wondering about my bike and reach, but then dismissed it since my right shoulder is just fine. Fortunately it improved – gradually I guess -- without me really knowing what I had done differently until it started to hurt again about a month later.

I’ll admit I was a little slow connecting the dots, but the underlying cause of the problem was revealed only after I cancelled my Internet service for about a month. That experiment turned out to be a disaster because I missed having access to information much more than I ever anticipated; but at least something good came from it. Once I got it back I noticed I slouch too much of my weight on the left elbow, driving my left shoulder almost out of joint. Without internet my shoulder recovered quickly so now I make it a point to not rest much weight on my elbow. In this case minor good change came from that which was mostly bad. Obviously it was consequential and not intentional, so I’d be lying if I said I canceled my internet service expecting to cure my shoulder.

Have you done or tried something (preferably cycling related) that didn’t work out at all but benefited from it indirectly in some small way? Care to share? Just looking for a little silver lining during rough time. :)

false_Aest
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I spoke to a physical therapist about upper back problems while riding. I described my lifting routine, how much I ride, etc.

After that she asked, "Are you right handed?"
"yes"
"You use the computer a lot?"
"kind've"
"Try adjusting your keyboard and, more importantly, your mouse position."

Back isn't perfect but its better . . . . .

STUPID COMPUTERS!

RPS
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
STUPID COMPUTERS!Sometimes it’s something unexpectedly dumb like driving with a thick wallet in a back pocket that places the back in poor alignment. Or sometimes a car seat that is not level.

In my case I type with both hands, but when surfing I rely on my right hand to use the mouse and lean my left elbow on the office chair’s armrest. I also found myself leaning on the same side when watching TV or reading on the couch. I’m almost certain cycling had nothing to do with it.

palincss
10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Have you done or tried something (preferably cycling related) that didn’t work out at all but benefited from it indirectly in some small way? Care to share? Just looking for a little silver lining during rough time. :)

I crashed badly in 2003 and broke my shoulder. It took 3 surgeries and a year of physical therapy to get me back. I'd definitely call that a "didn't work out at all" thing.

As for the benefit: I've been a classical music listener all my life. Blues and folk music too, but mainly baroque. When it came time to start the arm pendulums to rehab from the accident, I found I needed music to get through them. Classical simply didn't work. Neither did vocal music - anything with words interfered with my ability to count.

So I went down to the library, picked up a bunch of CDs of different kinds of music, and found Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It was perfect. It had also been out since I was in high school! (But then, that's what "timeless classic" means, right?) That initial CD grew into a fairly large collection of Brubeck's music and a deep appreciation for it.

I wrote Dave Brubeck a Christmas card that year. I told him about how I discovered his music, how much it had meant to me, and how surprised I was, given my listening history, that I'd taken to it so readily. He wrote me back and told me he wasn't surprised at all, since what baroque musicians did was exactly the same as what his group did, the only thing that was different was the tunes they worked with.

The DBQ in turn led me to the Bill Evans Trio and "California Jazz". It's been 5 years, rehab is long since over, and I'm listening to California jazz at this very moment on the Pandora "Bill Evans Channel". My musical horizon expanded tremendously, and I'd call that a silver lining if ever there was one.

Ken Robb
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
[

So I went down to the library, picked up a bunch of CDs of different kinds of music, and found Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It was perfect. It had also been out since I was in high school! (But then,

The DBQ in turn led me to the Bill Evans Trio and "California Jazz". It's been 5 years, rehab is long since over, and I'm listening to California jazz at this very moment on the Pandora "Bill Evans Channel". My musical horizon expanded tremendously, and I'd call that a silver lining if ever there was one.[/QUOTE]

I heard Brubeck's album "Jazz Impressions of the USA in 1957. Bought the album. Joe Morello's drum solo on "Sounds of the Loop" is unsurpassed ATMO.

chuckroast
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
What a great story about Brubeck. I have several of his records (on vinyl I'll add) and they still sound great.

He's still touring BTW, 88 and playing this week in KC.

palincss
10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
What a great story about Brubeck. I have several of his records (on vinyl I'll add) and they still sound great.

It's amazing to watch him. An old man walks in, sits down at the piano... and somehow, miraculously, 50 years lift him as soon as he starts to play.

johnnymossville
10-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Ohhh man, Brubeck is close to my heart. I haven't seen him, but I saw his sons, The Brubeck Brothers Quartet, play in West Hartford, Connecticut a few years ago and it was pure joy. Talented family and incredible music.

Tobias
10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I had to go way back to elementary school after drawing a blank on more recent experiences. Like many children I grew up with I didn’t have close parental supervision, so one day I decided to emulate dare devils by jumping my bike over a makeshift ramp. I was about 10 or so and the best I could do (particularly with my limited attention span) was leaning a piece of old plywood against a sawhorse – roughly three feet tall. It never crossed my mind that I needed to nail it together or brace it.

After getting up to full speed (limited by spinning out) I hit the ramp hoping to go airborne – which I did. However, it was mostly head first as the sawhorse fell over when I was about half way up the ramp sending me over the bars.

Considering I didn’t have a helmet I was fortunate not getting hurt, but it did leave me dazed for a few minutes. On the bright side I never tried it again, but more importantly it stimulated my curiosity about what when wrong, and why the ramp didn’t work. :rolleyes:

I realized I needed to learn much about mass, acceleration, forces, inertia, etc… even if I didn’t know what these things were or what they were called. I was always interested in science, but that failed experiment definitely reminded me that there was a lot out there to learn.

Joellogicman
10-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I crashed badly in 2003 and broke my shoulder. It took 3 surgeries and a year of physical therapy to get me back. I'd definitely call that a "didn't work out at all" thing.

As for the benefit: I've been a classical music listener all my life. Blues and folk music too, but mainly baroque. When it came time to start the arm pendulums to rehab from the accident, I found I needed music to get through them. Classical simply didn't work. Neither did vocal music - anything with words interfered with my ability to count.

So I went down to the library, picked up a bunch of CDs of different kinds of music, and found Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It was perfect. It had also been out since I was in high school! (But then, that's what "timeless classic" means, right?) That initial CD grew into a fairly large collection of Brubeck's music and a deep appreciation for it.

I wrote Dave Brubeck a Christmas card that year. I told him about how I discovered his music, how much it had meant to me, and how surprised I was, given my listening history, that I'd taken to it so readily. He wrote me back and told me he wasn't surprised at all, since what baroque musicians did was exactly the same as what his group did, the only thing that was different was the tunes they worked with.

The DBQ in turn led me to the Bill Evans Trio and "California Jazz". It's been 5 years, rehab is long since over, and I'm listening to California jazz at this very moment on the Pandora "Bill Evans Channel". My musical horizon expanded tremendously, and I'd call that a silver lining if ever there was one.

From his beginnings with some of the great '50s era band leaders, through his various trios and untimely death: Just an amazing talent.