PDA

View Full Version : Sole Searching Questions

keno
11-06-2004, 07:18 AM
I have recently entered the world of road shoes and pedals. (I had been using mtb shoes and pedals on my road bikes as I have a bit of walking to do on rough surfaces getting to and from rideable ones, but thought it would be worth a try to convert based upon urging from respected authorities. How right they were.) I bought on eBay Shimano SH-R150 shoes and Shimano PD-7800 (Lance) pedals and can attest to positive results far outweighing the walking problem. I am thinking about a second pair of road shoes and am confused about mounting systems and shoe/cleat compatibility. I know that my cleats use the SPD SL system, but I know there are several others around. My understanding is that all cleats and all shoes are not compatible.

1. Can you refer me to an article discussing cleat mounting systems?

2. Can you refer me to a chart indicating shoe/cleat compatibility? Or, maybe a list of SPD SL compatible shoes?

I will probably be selling at least one set of Shimano 959 pedals, one pair of Sidi Dominator 4 (47) shoes, and one pair of Diadora (47) shoes, all in excellent condition and used only on the road. You can reach me at keno@blast.net if interested.

Thanks,

keno

Smiley
11-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Keno Man , welcome to the world of the 20 th century :) . I think that all the new systems like ShimNo and Look and even the new Time pedal are drilled for the three hole LOOK pattern , I think the one you need to watch for is the Speed Play pedal drilling pattern . My question to you "wise one" is WHY switch from Shimano if your having good results with them . The shoes you bought are one small notch below the R215 and I have those and like them very much . If I was you, my next step might be in CUSTOM shoes and not another stock pair . I just have done a few bike sizings with custom shoe clients to believe that they seem to be spot on for the money spent .

Sandy
11-06-2004, 07:33 AM
It was really nice seeing you on the Pumpkin ride.

Soul Searching Sandy

keno
11-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Smiley, I would get a second pair to let the first dry out after a wet or sweaty day. I've also found that switching shoes once in a while keeps the feet happy, happy. The Shimanos are fine, but I love the Sidi 47 fit, for example. Also into a little variety. BTW, you are a century short.

Sandy, good seeing you, as well. Maybe there will be another opportunity to ride together this year before the snow falls. Did I hear someone say "soup"?

keno