PDA

View Full Version : Clincher Opinions

yodelinpol
10-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Looking for good clincher tires for training that have good protection as well as good performance. I'm 210 lb.

cost vs. performance vs. miles etc...

basically looking for the best all around bang for the buck on clinchers...
(700 x 23)

Opinions?

Ti Designs
10-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Just borrow a set of wheels from someone...

yodelinpol
10-07-2008, 06:34 AM
;)

palincss
10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Looking for good clincher tires for training that have good protection as well as good performance. I'm 210 lb.

cost vs. performance vs. miles etc...

basically looking for the best all around bang for the buck on clinchers...
(700 x 23)

Opinions?

At 0.1 tons you would be well advised to switch to 700x25s. You could run them at <100 psi rather than the 120-130 needed for 700x23s, they'd be a lot more comfortable and a lot less likely to puncture if you ran over a tiny sharp stone.

yodelinpol
10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
That is a thought... I am running a pair of 23 gatorskins now at around 115 to 120 that came on the bike(used). They are worn though and wanted to try something different. Not sure how they hold up since the miles put on them were by someone around 180 from what i am told. As far as ride comfort they seem fine at that pressure with my weight.

TAW
10-07-2008, 09:04 AM
A general consensus on previous threads was the Michelin Pro Race 2. I think they provide a good balance of wear and decent road feel.

dauwhe
10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I recall Andy Hampsten rides the Rivendell Jack Brown tires, which are 33.3mm. Of course, the bike would need to have clearance for something like that, but I think going wider makes a lot of sense. Among other advantages, tests show that wider tires have less rolling resistance than narrow tires...

Dave

MarcusPless
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm usually closer to 200 than I like to admit :crap: and I always ride 700x25s. I'm currently rotating through three different bikes with three different sets of tires, Schwalbe Stelvio, Conti GP4000, and Michelin PR2. No complaints about any of them.

--Marcus

yodelinpol
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I recall Andy Hampsten rides the Rivendell Jack Brown tires, which are 33.3mm. Of course, the bike would need to have clearance for something like that, but I think going wider makes a lot of sense. Among other advantages, tests show that wider tires have less rolling resistance than narrow tires...

Dave

As far as clearance, I think I would need to stay around 25. (possibly 28 but would have to check) Might try the GP 4000 25s, or maybe Rubino Pro 25s.
Anyone ride the Rubinos?

Birch
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I've used Rubino's and really really like my GP4000-s tires.

SoCalSteve
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Michelin Pro2 Race 700 x 25...nice beefy set of tires that will give you a comfortable ride, be less prone to punctures and wear nicely...

Good luck,

Steve

Louis
10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Are the Pro2's still in production? I do like mine, but haven't seen them in the "usual suspects" catalogs.

rustychisel
10-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I've used Rubino's and really really like my GP4000-s tires.

Yeah, I hear ya.
Rubino Pro's are, for me, the tyres which will not die. 3500km on the pair so far and counting. No punctures, 1 ripped valve stem, some cuts which didn't get through the rubber, and no troubles. They're less sticky than many tyres and feel slightly heavy and sluggish, but they've been excellent for what they are (and the price I paid). I'd call them a training tyre par excellence.

maunahaole
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I have had good luck with the Michelin Krylion tire in 700x25. Keep in mind that the michelin 25 is big. I love the ride of the pr2, but have had too many flats on them. The krylion feels lke it has a stiffer carcass and harder/denser compound than the pro race. Michelins in 25 seem to be a little hard to find right now, though, too.

jhcakilmer
10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Nicest clincher IMO is the Vittoria Open Pave. Supple ride, great cornering, above average treadwear and super stylist classic green sidewalls!! The tubular version is what many of the guys use at P-R, in the spring.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/apr08/roubaix08/tech.php?id=/photos/2008/tech/features/boonen_roubaix08/Slipstream_Backstedt_FW

The downside is that they're a little pricey, and aren't quite as strong as some of the other "over built" training specific tires, but the trade off is ride quality. These have the best all around, of any clincher, IMO.

I bought a couple pairs for $35/tire this summer, when I found them on sale...at totalcycling.....here is the current price, which is still darn good, compared to other sites

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/TI_VITTORIA_PAVE_CG.html?action=currency&id=USD

happycampyer
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM

DaveJust got back from a Cinghiale tour (in Tuscany, not the Dolomites) a few weeks back. AH has the Jack Brown's on his bike in CO, but runs the 27mm Rol-y Pol-y's from Rivendell on his bike in Italy, and loves them.* Out of curiosity, I ordered a pair and will have them later this week or next, so I'll see how they feel. I'm used to 23mm tires. I have used the Vittoria Open Pave clinchers that jhcakilmer mentioned (which are 24mm) as a winter tire, and they are excellent tires.

*The scary thing is the guy can just fly up the Stelvio and Gavia Passes with those things...