PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds forks?

soulspinner
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
No forks in the Reynolds 2009 catalogue. Alpha Q and Edge are now the Indy Fab offerings. The ouzo was the cost effective go to fork for a long time and sales still had to be strong. :confused:

sbornia
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I asked this same question on another forum, was told that the 09 forks just haven't made it to the Web site yet. I guess we have to stay tuned...

cadence90
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Definitely one of the best carbon-fiber forks out there; I doubt they would discontinue them.

Maybe they're on hold because Reynolds is making the graphics "New and Inproved!!!" again. :rolleyes:

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fork_oppeloton.jpg http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/images/products/large/10225.jpg

mikki
10-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I love my Ultra light fork; they are too good at them to discontinue IMHO.

Sandy
10-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I love my Ultra light fork; they are too good at them to discontinue IMHO.

I really like that look. Have you ever posted a photo of your entire bike? I would like to see one if possible.

Sandy

R2D2
10-07-2008, 12:57 AM
No forks in the Reynolds 2009 catalogue. Alpha Q and Edge are now the Indy Fab offerings. The ouzo was the cost effective go to fork for a long time and sales still had to be strong. :confused:

You've forgot Easton. Their Sl and SLX are fine light weight forks.

I'm sure Reynolds hasn't quit forks. That was their bread and butter but wheels are catching up fast. But they sure dropped handledbars in a hurry.

I think I misundersood. Are you saying only Alph Q and Edge are being offered by IF for their frames?

cadence90
10-07-2008, 02:25 AM
I love my Ultra light fork; they are too good at them to discontinue IMHO.mikki, I sure hope you don't have the recalled UL fork (only about 330 units though) (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08040.html).

Other than that, yes, all excellent forks, maybe the primo choice among builders (certainly with Dario, who could use Mizuno (quite popular with Italian builders) and a host of others).

I also really like Alpha-Q forks, but their "big hips" at the crown look good only with OS tubed frames, imho.

cadence90
10-07-2008, 02:39 AM
I think I misundersood. Are you saying only Alph Q and Edge are being offered by IF for their frames?I'm confused also: on the current IF website (copyright 2008) they still list "IF Custom Reynolds Ouzo Pro all carbon 1.125" fork included" on a lot of their frames, and they extensively use Reynolds tubing. I would think their relationship with Reynolds would not lead them to discontinue the use of Reynolds forks.

soulspinner
10-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I spoke with someone at IF who said their offerings were Edge 2.0 and Alpha Q for the CJ. They like the Edge alittle better( I had to ask).

Ti Designs
10-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Basing your opinion about forks on what IF says may not be so wise at this time. There are other forces in the bike industry which cause changes that have nothing to do with ride or availability.

Spicoli
10-07-2008, 07:30 AM
They are re-and or/designing some new forks and thats why they took them off the website. My Brother spoke w/Reynolds directly 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure how they can make em any better but hey.....should be interesting! Best forks in the business IMHO. Dont sweat it, they will be there and maybe even better :D

soulspinner
10-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Basing your opinion about forks on what IF says may not be so wise at this time. There are other forces in the bike industry which cause changes that have nothing to do with ride or availability.

Oh....

Kirk Pacenti
10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
There are other forces in the bike industry which cause changes that have nothing to do with ride or availability.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. I would add that said changes often have little to do with what's "best" either...

EDIT: I am not referring specifically to Reynolds, but rather the "industry" as a whole, in very general terms.

Acotts
10-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Great forks. I have two Ouzo Pros. I just wish they weren't so ugly. Both bikes I went in thinking I was going to put an EDGE fork on it. Simply becuase they look cool, and both times the LBS convinced my to stick with the Ouzo Pro. Not saying one is better than the other, but they were just better matched for my bike. Especially the Serotta. They practically refused to sell me another fork.

I still think the EDGEs look cooler.

mcteague
10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Here is your answer:

And what about the venerable fork line? Reynolds didn’t display any forks at all, saying they were currently being redesigned to meet new stricter CEN testing standards. The new models are slated to hit the market in about 90 days, but the once-comprehensive range will be reduced to only a lightweight road model and a cyclo-cross fork, both with straight, non-tapered steerer tubes and semi-integrated crowns similar to the now-defunct UL.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/interbike-new-wheels-and-forks-18838

Tim McTeague

soulspinner
10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Tanks Tim....

victoryfactory
10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Wait a minute. Didn't Serotta purchase reynolds a while back?

VF

cadence90
10-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Wait a minute. Didn't Serotta purchase reynolds a while back?

VF
Good question.

Serotta bought MacLean Composites' Poway, CA. facility, effective 1/2007, which did have Reynolds as a brand. I don't know if the purchase included all of MacLean's Poway brands, or just the carbon-fiber frame tubing branch, in order to control in-house Serotta c-f frame production.

From MacLean/Serotta:
"MacLean Quality Composites’ Poway facility will become a part of NY based Serotta Competition Bicycles from January 2007.
The transition is the result of months of discussions between the collective management teams of MacLean Quality Composites (MQC) and Serotta. Ben Serotta and Dean Gestal, the respective CEO’s of the firms said, “Our companies have enjoyed an excellent working partnership of more than five years. At the core of the relationship has been our honest and open dialog, in which we’ve shared some of our long range strategic plans and concerns with each other.”

Serotta’s annexation of the Poway facility stems directly from these talks as Serotta sought to increase its potency in composites while MQC continues to both strengthen and streamline its operations by concentrating efforts on its two main facilities in Salt Lake, UT and Hangzhou, China.

As part of the agreement, Serotta will retain employment of the small dedicated Poway staff headed by lead engineer Mike Lopez. Under the agreement, Lopez will continue to provide engineering and consulting services to MQC and its customers on an ‘on-call’ basis.

Over the past two years, Serotta has brought a number of operations to in-house status and has been seeking the right path to do the same in composites. “We’re fanatical about controlling our own destiny, says Founder Ben Serotta, “and for us, the formula for success includes controlling as much of the R&D and manufacturing processes as possible so we’re absolutely thrilled to be adding the composites ‘A’ Team to the Serotta roster.” "
Publication Date: 11/11/2006

Maybe Serotta did purchase all of it, and will continue to produce both Serotta branded c-f products and Reynolds branded c-f products, much as True Temper retained the Alpha-Q brand name after buying them out.

MAP
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I got an update from Reynolds. Here it is - "We are redesigning the forks for 2010. We will be releasing them at Interbike 2009".

Pete Serotta
11-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Serotta bought the California facilities to continue making forks for SEROTTA.

I am not sure where the Reynolds forks are made.

Lanternrouge
11-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Serotta bought the California facilities to continue making forks for SEROTTA.

I am not sure where the Reynolds forks are made.

China as I have heard.

GregL
11-14-2008, 04:28 PM
China as I have heard.

If they are being manufactured in China, this is a change from their original production site. My 2003 vintage Ouzo Pro was "American Designed, American Manufactured" according to the silk screen image on the right fork blade.

Regards,
Greg

totally_fixxate
11-15-2008, 02:42 AM
If they are being manufactured in China, this is a change from their original production site.
My 2003 vintage Ouzo Pro was "American Designed, American Manufactured" according to the silk screen image on the right fork blade.

you don't see that USA flag on their newer offerings.
5 years is a long time in the manufacturing business.

Keith A
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I got an update from Reynolds. Here it is - "We are redesigning the forks for 2010. We will be releasing them at Interbike 2009".Did this happen? Their 2010 catalog doesn't show any forks???

Pete Serotta
10-20-2009, 02:09 PM
If they are being manufactured in China, this is a change from their original production site. My 2003 vintage Ouzo Pro was "American Designed, American Manufactured" according to the silk screen image on the right fork blade.

Regards,
Greg

See the thread on F3 one inch. SEROTTA acquired some of the machines and facility....BUT MORE IMPORTANT, they got Mike Lopez and his crew to wear the SEROTTA hat...