PDA

View Full Version : Borrowed equipment...

Ti Designs
10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
How much use can you make of borrowed equipment before it becomes a sale? I ask 'cause I seem to abuse lender's trust in me. When my Seven broke they lent me a Serotta Ottrott. I used it until the bearings in the dropouts failed (the roads around here are poorly paved, the trails are only slightly better). The other day the rear hub on my rear wheel started to fail. It's a second generation Mavic Ksyrium with about 50K miles on it. I started to think about the cost per mile ratio and how those wheels didn't owe me anything, then I realized that I owe something for those wheels!

I feel bad about these things - I'm an honest guy! I feel bad about the Serotta (I did purchase a frame, so in a way their ploy worked). I feel really bad about the wheels. I feel bad about the lawn mower I borrowed about 20 years ago (I've moved many times since then - I can't even grow a lawn!). What makes me feel the worst is that I have a broken wheel on my bike. If you're gonna lend me things, make sure they last!

Louis
10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
A buddy of mine has a set of rollers I lent him about three years ago.

Are they still mine?

jbrainin
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
A buddy of mine has a set of rollers I lent him about three years ago.

Are they still mine?

Yes and if you ask nicely, he might even let you visit them!

WadePatton
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a loading press I borrowed in the late 80's.

Well, it is scheduled to go back home soon.

The crime is in the eyes of the lender methinks. If they don't make much noise-then what the hey? I should lend more stuff out. Then I wouldn't have to keep up with it. :rolleyes:

rounder
10-07-2008, 11:58 AM
How much use can you make of borrowed equipment before it becomes a sale? I ask 'cause I seem to abuse lender's trust in me. When my Seven broke they lent me a Serotta Ottrott. I used it until the bearings in the dropouts failed (the roads around here are poorly paved, the trails are only slightly better). The other day the rear hub on my rear wheel started to fail. It's a second generation Mavic Ksyrium with about 50K miles on it. I started to think about the cost per mile ratio and how those wheels didn't owe me anything, then I realized that I owe something for those wheels!

I feel bad about these things - I'm an honest guy! I feel bad about the Serotta (I did purchase a frame, so in a way their ploy worked). I feel really bad about the wheels. I feel bad about the lawn mower I borrowed about 20 years ago (I've moved many times since then - I can't even grow a lawn!). What makes me feel the worst is that I have a broken wheel on my bike. If you're gonna lend me things, make sure they last!
That was funny.