PDA

View Full Version : SRAM MTB question

d_douglas
10-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I am thinking about buying some SRAM trigger shifters to try out ( I use XT thumbshifters but I think it is time for a change! )

I have heard that there are X9 shifters that work with shimano derailleurs and others that work with SRAM ones.

Knowing this, should I be investing in SRAM derailleurs as well, or should I just stick with the 8 speed XTR ones that I have? They work fine.

Do the shifters actually work better with SRAM derailleurs?

Secondly, does anyone have some that they want to part with?

Richard
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Are you going to use 8 speed or are you going to go to 9? I think I have 8 speed xt triggers (I would have to check) in my garage that would allow for use with shimano derraileur. If you want me to check let me know through a PM.

benb
10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I have X.0 shifters...

X.0 Rear deriauller
Shimano LX front deraiuller

No problem with front shifting, it works great. (As in better then my SRAM Rival front shifting *ever* worked.) The front X.0/X.9 shifter seems to pull the same amount of cable as a Shimano shifter.

The rear you definitely want to get an X.0/X.9 deraiuller. Their deraiuller design is brilliant, even if it was compatible with Shimano (I don't think it is), it's highly worth getting the SRAM one. There is no loop of housing at the rear deraiuller like a Shimano derailleur, and the SRAM design is much less susceptible to "ghost shifting" on a F/S MTB as it requires more cable pull to actuate a shift as far as I can tell. It is by *far* the best shifting I've ever had on a MTB and it can get incredibly dirty and still work flawlessly.

My X.0 shifters buzz quite a bit now. (bought them in 2006). I pretty much only hear it when I'm riding on pavement though. Something inside them will buzz when you're on pavement & the vibrations come through just right.

dnades
10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
with x9 rear derailleur. Works incredibly well. Very crisp shifts. I have an LX shimano front derailleur which works fine with the front trigger shifter. I got rid of some old 8 spd xt shifters. Haven't looked back.

bnewt07
10-07-2008, 01:56 AM
A word of caution. Much as I liked the shifting of X-9 (which is very slick and easy to set up) I had two rear mechs break within a month of use. One looked like a manufacturing fault, the other just appeared to give up the ghost after a trivial impact. I may have just been unlucky but I've used faithful Shimano ever since.

One breakage was rather a long way from anywhere, in driving sleet. I cannot now think of SRAM without a Pavlovian shivering :)

Bruce

Bernie
10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
SRAM X series shifters work only with SRAM rear derailleurs (X0, X9 X7, etc). The cable pull on the Shimano vs Sram is different (1:1 for SRAM, 2:1 for Shimano). SRAM used to make a shimano compatible derailler, but they dropped it from their product line. That is, a SRAM style derailler that had the same cable pull as Shimano that worked with shimano shifters. SRAM Attack line shifters are 2:1 cable actuation and work well with Shimano derailers, but they aren't as light or as nice in my opinion as the X0, X9 X7 shifters (260g vs 225 g). However, they are good stuff. If it were me, I'd go with the X series Sram stuff. I use X9 on both my mountain rigs cause I'm known to bust up Deraillers, would cry if I broke several XO ones a year!

d_douglas
10-08-2008, 01:55 AM
So, it sounds as though the Shimano compatible ones work quite well also, but I would be missing the 1:1 actuation goodness if I stayed with the Shimano derailleur.

I have been using XT thumbshifters (yes, really) for the past 18 years (with one or two several month dviersions to STI) THey are great, but perhaps getting a little awkward to use given how good new shifters are now!

In any event, they still work, so I will ponder further . . .