PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are Locked Threads more interesting?

ti_boi
10-06-2008, 11:48 AM
It seems that they are the ones with the most pages views....coincidence??? Your Vote Counts! Please, no hanging chads.

Louis
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
How about if we try to stick to cycling for a day or two?

Lifelover
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
For the most part, the threads that get locked, should get locked.

Your last one was a perfect example of a OT thread that provided zero enlightenment.

Just a bunch of silly back and forth.

jhcakilmer
10-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I find that the most interesting threads (of any topic) include individuals stating their own informed positions......which does not include many of the recent political threads.

The majority of the time it's just a few guys, posting quotes, and links to others thoughts......can't we think for ourselves. I can always tell the informed, objective individuals (in any field/topic)....because they don't stick to any single ideology......instead they objectively integrate a multitude of aspect that they authentically believe in.

No one "side" has all the right answers......that's the beauty of the democratic process.

michael white
10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with the above. I don't mind strong opinions from strong people. That part is good. The lengthy repostings of clips, etc.--with some text highlighted in bold--that is boring, mindless, meaningless, drone-like activity. I can't imagine anyone, cyclist or noncyclist, finding that interesting or relevant.

RPS
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
More interesting than what, a train wreck?

Certainly more controversial, but whether that makes then more interesting depends on whether you like controversy. Sometimes I do, until it gets old.

William
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.lmnotees.com/store/images/products/guys_135_M4.jpg

fiamme red
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
;)

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/uc06330.jpg

RPS
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
;) Great penmanship. ;)

cadence90
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
No, they are not more interesting.

Locked threads get locked in general because of the flaming, bickering, and reduncancy, not because of subject matter.

They are plenty of open threads here re: political/economic/social issues and plenty re: cycling:...the good ones.

I suspect that the "political" threads rather than the "cycling" ones get locked more here because a lot of members here are quite intelligent and passionate about the political, etc. issues at stake right now. Then, as in most 7-15 page threads, regardless of subject, all the valid points have been made and the rest of the discussion results in insults rather than in continued respectful debate/discussion. Human nature, I guess.

Go look at Weight Weenies: no locked politics, etc. threads, but plenty of ridiculous locked bicycle component threads (at least back in the day it was like that).

As an architect, I can tell you, even with the immense (city board politics, citizen protest, massive coordination of consultants, building department regulations, $ funding $, etc.) complexity of building large buildings, the projects that most often result in real and sometimes horrible acrimony (i. e. "locked") are single-family homes. Why? Because at the most basic levels, those intimate projects do bring to a head the one-on-one differences between couples, in which one of the two clients, or both, have the ONLY power, and sometimes the differences of opinion are the last straw and are irreconcilable. Projects get cancelled because of tile selection.

We get tile differences of opinion here too, whether it be political/eco/soc or Campa vs. Shimano vs. SRAM vs. maritaca slate (dang...there I go again. :rolleyes: ).

PS: I completely agree: regardless of subject matter, tedious clipped articles or endlessly self-reposted quotes are truly boring, and not worth, in my opinion, the newspaper in which those fish are wrapped.

e-RICHIE
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
one of my all time faves (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28505) atmo, and a top five in the threads viewed stats toomo!

Louis
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
one of my all time faves (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28505) atmo, and a top five in the threads viewed stats toomo!

Don't get too conceited. We can start an "e-R loves Palin" rumor and destroy you in no time..

e-RICHIE
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't get too conceited. We can start an "e-R loves Palin" rumor and destroy you in no time..
russia - foreign country or neighbor.
hmmm...

Ti Designs
10-06-2008, 06:04 PM

e-RICHIE returns to post a link to a locked thread about e-RICHIE leaving. I don't know if "interesting" is the right word...

cadence231
10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
e-RICHIE returns to post a link to a locked thread about e-RICHIE leaving. I don't know if "interesting" is the right word...

He left?

capybaras
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
wc? twss

Louis
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Recursive, perhaps?

Lifelover
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM

A thread about a great moment in Forum history that has and will continue to repeat it's self over and over and over. :crap:

ti_boi
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
A thread about a great moment in Forum history that has and will continue to repeat it's self over and over and over. :crap:

Oh lover be gentle.

rounder
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I find that the most interesting threads (of any topic) include individuals stating their own informed positions......which does not include many of the recent political threads.

Yeah, that is what i like too. That is the thing i miss the most about the cool kids leaving...they knew what they were talking about and shared that and more without asking for anything in return (hey...atmo posted to this thread). anybody can clip in a link and you can go anywhere online to find out whatever you want to know. but how many places can you go to where well informed folks hang out to discuss interesting things about bike stuff and other issues that we want to/need to know about. that is why i like this forum. this is still a good place to hang out but it would be even better if some of the cool kids would stop by more often.

cadence90
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
one of my all time faves (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28505) atmo, and a top five in the threads viewed stats toomo!I always (almost always) liked and respected your posts in the past, your insight, and your work. But I'm inclined now, at this date and under these circumstances, to believe more in the departed Norman Neville's "relentless self-promotion" quote, frankly.

Being top 5 viewed (sounds "sort of like" American Idolish to me), when you were an active participant, doesn't in my view make that thread, as this thread asks, one of the more interesting ones, not by a long shot.

The state of individual forum members' other forum activities, etc. just really doesn't interest me at all.

Sorrymo.... :rolleyes:

Then again, this thread has turned onto the slipppery slope, where one old and hackneyed issue begins to dominate (doominate?) the original post. I realize that by even posting I'm contributing to the slide, so it's one turn at bat and then the bench for me.

As for the repeated bemoaning of the "loss" of "the cool kids", who left of their own accord, frankly I find it insulting to current forum members of all stripes (yes, including zebra) who do participate, and a really, truly dead horse.... :crap:

e-RICHIE
10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I <cut>
agreed.
it was a joke, and a stretch at that.
mi dispiace etc -

ps

arrange disorder
:) :) :cool:
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:cool: :cool: :)

MarleyMon
10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
... Forum history that has and will continue to repeat it's self over and over and over....
see Mircea Eliade's The Myth of the Eternal Return

" One of his most influential contributions to religious studies was his theory of Eternal Return, which holds that myths and rituals do not simply commemorate hierophanies, but, at least to the minds of the religious, actually participate in them. In academia, the Eternal Return has become one of the most widely accepted ways of understanding the purpose of myth and ritual."
Think of the definition of "atmo" embedded in 23 links - its an initiation ritual that leads to knowledge of one's self
(ie - "I am wasting too much time on this.").

The top-5 thread is like Samuel Beckett wrote Waiting for Atmo, except he shows up at the end.

Locked threads can sometimes be like forbidden fruit, sometimes just rotten fruit.

RPS
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
In general I find that closed threads have a lot more whacky ideas expressed as fact that quickly lead to bickering when challenged by those who seem more knowledgeable or have different opinions.

That’s not to say that silly assumptions, ideas, and/or conclusions expressed on many closed threads can’t be entertaining to read -- at least until they turn nasty. I personally see it as an opportunity to gauge what others are thinking -- or not thinking – even if the assertions are absurd. I find that not only interesting but also enlightening.

Besides, in the very hot topic of politics (particularly at this time with so much riding on it) too much is driven by emotions rather than facts. Quarreling is inevitable – not that a good fight can’t be fun to watch as long as no one gets hurt. No low blows and we should be OK. ;)

girlie
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
In general I find that closed threads have a lot more whacky ideas expressed as fact that quickly lead to bickering when challenged by those who seem more knowledgeable or have different opinions.

That’s not to say that silly assumptions, ideas, and/or conclusions expressed on many closed threads can’t be entertaining to read -- at least until they turn nasty. I personally see it as an opportunity to gauge what others are thinking -- or not thinking – even if the assertions are absurd. I find that not only interesting but also enlightening.

Besides, in the very hot topic of politics (particularly at this time with so much riding on it) too much is driven by emotions rather than facts. Quarreling is inevitable – not that a good fight can’t be fun to watch as long as no one gets hurt. No low blows and we should be OK. ;)

Agree.