PDA

View Full Version : 7900 Ugly? What about Red Crank?

tv_vt
10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
The thing I like about the new DA7900 crank is that it now comes in 177.5 and 180 compact. (What I don't like is the $700 sticker on it.) But I can also get those combos in Red for much cheaper - so what about the look of the Red crank? How about those crazy big letters - are they stickers that I could peel off or are they painted on? And what about that ceramic BB - is there a real diff between that and a regular SRAM bb?

Thx,

Thom

johnnymossville
10-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I always thought the Red Crank looked way better in person than it does in pictures. That said, it could be better of course.

tv_vt
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
geez, no Red riders? This must not be the "Red Riding 'hood." (couldn't resist.) No ceramic bb users?

Satellite
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I went with FSA Ti K-Force Light Compact with Ceramic Bottom Bracket. I love the looks, gearing and stiffness. I wanted to use the 7900 DA but I found out the Crankset wasn't compatiable with 7800 because of a trim issues and chain width. I don't know if it matters any but I just bought the FSA S-10 compatable crankset. I can't tell a bit of difference between the ceramic in the FSA than the 7800 bottom bracket of Shimano.

I personally don't like the looks of the Red Cranks; I have never used them only seen them.

I doubt this helped you any.

Satellite

bostondrunk
10-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm tempted to try Red, but I keep reading negative comments about the crankset, and about the front derailleur trim, and problems using cross gears (which I tend to do...)

William
10-07-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm tempted to try Red, but I keep reading negative comments about the crankset, and about the front derailleur trim, and problems using cross gears (which I tend to do...)

Quit reading through the bottom of Miller Genuine Draft bottles. :p ;)

William

soulspinner
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I went with FSA Ti K-Force Light Compact with Ceramic Bottom Bracket. I love the looks, gearing and stiffness. I wanted to use the 7900 DA but I found out the Crankset wasn't compatiable with 7800 because of a trim issues and chain width. I don't know if it matters any but I just bought the FSA S-10 compatable crankset. I can't tell a bit of difference between the ceramic in the FSA than the 7800 bottom bracket of Shimano.

I personally don't like the looks of the Red Cranks; I have never used them only seen them.

I doubt this helped you any.

Satellite

Try as I might I could never tell BB stifness. I know which frame I own deflects the most only when I watch on the trainer. Seems tire pressure/squirm would matter more...

Satellite
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Try as I might I could never tell BB stifness. I know which frame I own deflects the most only when I watch on the trainer. Seems tire pressure/squirm would matter more...

Never meant to imply this crank was or is any stiffer than another, I am just saying it is stiff enough for my Low Wattage @ss. I can't tell any difference in the ceramic either just hype to me. I wanted the gear reduction that was my main goal some where in the list was aesthetics and these hit the mark. Mine have the red and white strip on them gorgeous, I really dislike the looks of the SRAM.

Thank you FSA.

benb
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know about the safety of it on a carbon crank, or if SRAM clearcoats over the decals on the Red Cranks.. BUT...

Any of the alloy SRAM components have no clearcoat over the decals/paint... a very small amount of "paint safe" brake cleaner will wipe the logos off just about instantly.

Want to try that on your wicked expensive cranks go for it..

dtandy
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I just checked my Red crank and the graphics can not be peeled off. They are under a clearcoat.

With regard to the ceramic BB bearings... I can't tell a difference. Perhaps under ideal conditions there is a couple % difference in resistance but any difference to me is lost in the noise of all of the other factors affecting the experience of riding a bike. Of course, just because I can't feel it doesn't mean it isn't there. Unfortunately, I don't seem to go any faster on the Red bike than I do on my Force or Rival bikes despite the big difference in cost. :crap:

I have Red on a Look 595 Ultra, Force on a Moser M81 and Rival on a steel lugged ParkPre 925 Team and each group performs well. I could be happy with any one if I was forced to live with a single bike.

With regard to the lack of front derailleur trim, I think it is an over blown issue. In the big ring on any of my bikes I can ride in any gear combination and have no front derailleur chain rub. In the little ring, the front der is chain rub free until I hit the next to the last highest gear (next to the last smallest cog on the rear cassette). At that point the chain starts to rub on the front der. I suppose trim capability could eliminate this condition, but for my riding style, I never seem to cross chain little/little so any chain rub in that situation is a non-issue. Others may care, though.

Hope this helps,

Dave

toaster
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
SRAM Red crankset looks great, especially on newer generation carbon bikes with similar graphic styling, e.g. LOOK, Pinarello, DeRosa, etc.

Wouldn't look as nice on classic frames like Serotta, Seven and many other steel/ titanium/ aluminum bikes, IMHO.

Viper
10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Shimano is made of recycled Dr. Pepper cans and tests positive for lead. I always suspected this, the photo of that Dura Ace crank confirms it.

:beer: