PDA

View Full Version : For dog/bike lovers

FATBOY
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Sandy, this is right up your alley. I had the good fortune to meet this fellow as he passed thru Salt Lake a few months back and he is a really good guy. His name is David Sylvester and his pooch is Chiva. They have damn near made it coast to coast on David's big ol'Surly. Good kid, good cause..check them out here......http://bikingdog.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Chris

William
10-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Very cool! Thanks for posting.

William

Sandy
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the post and link. Unfortunately, due the economy and home foreclosures, animals are being turned into local shelters because they cannot afford to keep them. I adopted a dog in December and had no idea how much veterinary costs were going to be. I know that I am obsessive about his care, but no doubt veterinary care, other than basic, is almost beyond the means of many in this country.

I guess it might just be too simplistic or easy for me to say, but I could never give up my pet. He is an integral part of my family. I do understand the enormity of financial demands on so many here in the U.S. and elswhere. Unfortunately, there are simply too many animals produced, and little control of such. Shelters and rescue groups are simply unable to adopt out many wonderful animals- Too little demand and too much supply. My dog sat in two shelters for 8 months total before I adopted him. He was an exceptionally fortunate pit bull. He was liked so much by staff and shelter management that he survived. I have read that only 1 in 600 pit bulls make it. Clearly pit bulls are less likely to be adopted than most any other breed ( actullay more than one breed), but the situation is similar in concept for basically all breeds.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it.

Animals need our help.

Sandy

RPS
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Enjoyable post. That dog seems so content just sitting there with his head out in the wind.

I’ve been meaning to get myself one of those dog trailers; or something similar. The idea of taking Bailey with me on easy rides to the park or lake where we could walk from seems really cool. Or being able to use the trailer to haul groceries, etc…

I’m just not quite sure about a two-wheel trailer yet; and have continued to think in terms of a cargo bike outfitted to carry him if he would sit still enough to make it safe and maneuverable. The greenbelts where we would ride a lot are only about 5- to 6-feet wide, and passing wobbly little kids on their bikes while I was towing a trailer is not very appealing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone taken a mid-size dog (about 40-50 pounds) on a bike or single-wheel trailer? Does their shifting weight become a serious problem?

FATBOY
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Enjoyable post. That dog seems so content just sitting there with his head out in the wind.

I’ve been meaning to get myself one of those dog trailers; or something similar. The idea of taking Bailey with me on easy rides to the park or lake where we could walk from seems really cool. Or being able to use the trailer to haul groceries, etc…

I’m just not quite sure about a two-wheel trailer yet; and have continued to think in terms of a cargo bike outfitted to carry him if he would sit still enough to make it safe and maneuverable. The greenbelts where we would ride a lot are only about 5- to 6-feet wide, and passing wobbly little kids on their bikes while I was towing a trailer is not very appealing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but has anyone taken a mid-size dog (about 40-50 pounds) on a bike or single-wheel trailer? Does their shifting weight become a serious problem?

One of the guys at my shop has a chariot-thing he rigged into his Bob and he pulls a 70lb. Boxer around with it. In fact, with a pair of Doggles and a jacket on, they can go all year. He likes the cornering of the single wheel and his route has very few stop/starts so it is perfect. If you start and stop a lot on what you feel will be a typical ride the two wheel trailers are a lot less work.

P.S. Glad you guys liked the thread. David was a really nice kid with zero pretense. He is not the kind of fellow to wear his cause on his sleeve and was incredibly appreciative of any help offered.....and Chiva is a great little dog and has seen more of this country than me!

Wayne77
10-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Chris, that was great - thanks for sharing. Boy...another life..I would kill to do something like that. sigh...

RPS
10-07-2008, 10:39 AM
One of the guys at my shop has a chariot-thing he rigged into his Bob and he pulls a 70lb. Boxer around with it. In fact, with a pair of Doggles and a jacket on, they can go all year. He likes the cornering of the single wheel and his route has very few stop/starts so it is perfect. If you start and stop a lot on what you feel will be a typical ride the two wheel trailers are a lot less work.Thanks Chris, sounds like balancing a bike with inline arrangement may work. I’m guessing that as long as the dog platform is made so he can’t move side-to-side too much and that he is kept close to the ground that his shifting mass won’t be too hard to control. Bailey is only about 45 pounds so I should give it a try and see what happens. If it works I’d prefer that over a two-wheel trailer.

He loves to travel with us on road trips so it’s only natural we introduce him to cycling. I hope that by me hauling Bailey around my wife and I will be able to ride separate bikes at approximately the same pace. I know we could do the same by pulling a trailer behind our tandem but then I wouldn’t have a single bike to ride; and taking a single, tandem, and trailer on a road trip is a bit much for us.

Blue Jays
10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Cool "cycling dog" pics there as well...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ovAJyIom6O0/SOtZIPVW8kI/AAAAAAAABJI/b6eKdrVrtpQ/s400/NewYourTourdeDog+090.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ovAJyIom6O0/SOs_WnLT0uI/AAAAAAAABHQ/ezAX9rrGrxY/s400/NewYourTourdeDog+059.jpg

RPS
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I like this set up, maybe a little smaller. Good utility too.

Sandy
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I like this set up, maybe a little smaller. Good utility too.

For you, the dog, or both? :)

:) Schlitz Sandy :)

FATBOY
10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Chris, that was great - thanks for sharing. Boy...another life..I would kill to do something like that. sigh...

No kidding!

p.s.
You're still around? I thought you had already left on a similar journey. Last I heard you were riding to Hawaii for dyslexic :beer: circus performers, or something just as hard.

zip
10-10-2008, 09:53 AM
While in Austria we came upon this dog having dinner in a local establishment.

Tobias
10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
For you, the dog, or both? :)

:) Schlitz Sandy :)The beer is for Bailey. ;)
Maybe King can go over and join him.
If you are willing to pedal, maybe Rick will let you haul him around. :)
That's one way for you to get back in shape in a hurry.