PDA

View Full Version : I Love My Bike!

Onno
10-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Just got back from a lovely ride in quintessential fall weather--50 degrees, light wind, the first leaves beginning to skitter across the road, low clouds scudding across the sky. After a hard week at work, and too much rain to think about getting out on the bike, today was perfect. The Concours was humming, and I was spinning. It was one of those days on the bike when one couldn't imagine being on a better bike. And on Sunday morning around here everyone else is either in church or still in bed, so hardly a car passed me. It made one feel the world was made for bikes.

About half way through the ride, it occurred to me that in spite of bad economic news, and a deeply uncertain state of affairs in the nation, there is still lots of joy to be had. It also occurred to me that the money I spent on the Serotta eight (!) years and about 16,000 miles ago was the best money I'd ever spent. That works out to about two bits per mile (or about 7 cents per minute), and the investment only gets better.

Thanks Ben!

Onno

Karin Kirk
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Lovely sentiments.

I agree that it's all too easy to get caught up in the mess-du-jour and lose sight of the simple, joyful parts of life. Nothing like a bike ride to set things straight again! Good for you for savoring the sweet stuff.

konstantkarma
10-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. I was out yesterday...sunny, no clouds, 66 degrees, the soya beans fields a beautiful yellow color, and my Concours just floating beneath me. I saw a kestrel...the bird, not the bike, and a hawk.....also got chased by a pit bull-looking mutt. Not even he could catch me on my Serotta. :) I love early autumn riding!

mikki
10-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I can only imagine how wonderful and pleasurable a ride would be. Been homebound since the 13th Sept. with 2 broken ribs, 2 fractured vertebrae and a fractured in two places, scapula. Ugh. Seeing the Ortho surgeon tomorrow...Ya never know how much you appreciate something until it's been stripped away...

I long to be out there again. So have my share of the fun as well!!

P.S. I love my bike 2

soulspinner
10-06-2008, 06:39 AM
56 degrees, windy, on the beater 8 speed, except for debris on the road, an amazing ride. Even the drivers of those ton and a half gas guzzlers seemed polite :)