PDA

View Full Version : Political process. Broken... can it be fixed?

thwart
10-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Great article on a retiring moderate Republican from Virginia and his take on the process. Perhaps should be required reading for all voters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/magazine/05Davis-t.html

Too much money, too much partisanship... not enough "getting things done".

Louis
10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Last I checked, we get the politicians we vote for, and nobody puts a gun to the voter's head telling them what to do.

Elefantino
10-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Last I checked, we get the politicians we vote for, and nobody puts a gun to the voter's head telling them what to do.
+1.

And we deserve the politicians we get.

gdw
10-05-2008, 01:16 PM
It takes money and influence to play the game. The best drop out or choose not to play and we are left with the flawed or compromised survivors. That's why many of us don't vote or hold our noses and choose the best of a poor lot.

cadence90
10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Great, but pretty sad, article.

Of course, reading of "terrorist" accusations; reading absurd citations of Weather Underground "associations" (why the NYT went front page with that is beyond me: the real WU activities were 40 years ago when B. O. was 8, right around the Kent State murders, etc.,...so, will Jerry Rubin and Tom Hayden soon also be named as O's "terrorist pals"?); and reading of constant "anti-patriotism" from a "Country First" platform, etc. etc., must get pretty d*mn*d tiring too....No wonder Davis is exhausted.

The first line that needs to be banned from all political rhetoric is the incongrous term "reaching across the aisle". Maybe it would be better to just remove the actual aisle itself, and get rid of that lame excuse for not governing with real responsibilty and altruism.

Elefantino
10-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Let's see if I have this right:

Obama voted to raise your taxes. Therefore, he will raise your taxes.

McCain also voted to raise your taxes. But he will cut your taxes.

Obama voted to cut funding for the troops. Therefore, he will "cut and run."

McCain voted to cut funding for the troops. But he will keep us there for 100 years.

Obama is too timid. Therefore, we will soon be at war with Iran, Russia and other rogue states.

McCain is too hot-headed. Therefore, we will soon be at war with Iran, Russia and other rogue states.

Obama is too inexperienced.

McCain is too old.

Is that about it?

EDS
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Let's see if I have this right:

Obama voted to raise your taxes. Therefore, he will raise your taxes.

McCain also voted to raise your taxes. But he will cut your taxes.

Obama voted to cut funding for the troops. Therefore, he will "cut and run."

McCain voted to cut funding for the troops. But he will keep us there for 100 years.

Obama is too timid. Therefore, we will soon be at war with Iran, Russia and other rogue states.

McCain is too hot-headed. Therefore, we will soon be at war with Iran, Russia and other rogue states.

Obama is too inexperienced.

McCain is too old.

Is that about it?

That is it except McCain has apparently sold himself to Karl Rove and his lackies in an attempt to gain the white house. Speaking as a life long republican, I think 8 years of Karl Rove in power has been quite enough.

mwos
10-05-2008, 05:54 PM
And if you're a woman and don't support the McCain-Palin ticket this will be your fate! Quoted by Sarah Palin from a Starbucks cup!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/05/palin-misquotes-albright_n_131967.html

Thanks, Sarah Palin for being the judge of my afterlife.

gdw
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Watch the clip. The huffington post makes Fox look unbiased. It's really sad how both parties and their extreme followers manipulate sound bites.

Ray
10-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Watch the clip. The huffington post makes Fox look unbiased. It's really sad how both parties and their extreme followers manipulate sound bites.
Yeah, and the quote on the cup was actually from Madelaine Albright, who was CLINTON'S secretary of state, so I guess its she who's judging your afterlife, except the quote didn't sound like she was terribly serious about it either. I'm a rather committed Obama guy and I have any number of serious gripes about Palin, but this one doesn't even register.

-Ray

paczki
10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
It takes money and influence to play the game.

+1

mwos
10-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, and the quote on the cup was actually from Madelaine Albright, who was CLINTON'S secretary of state, so I guess its she who's judging your afterlife, except the quote didn't sound like she was terribly serious about it either. I'm a rather committed Obama guy and I have any number of serious gripes about Palin, but this one doesn't even register.

-Ray

In context the quote from Madelaine Albright refers to women who reach the top of the corporate ladder and for whatever reason pull up the ladder and are unwilling to mentor qualified women below them. Politics of a sort but little meaning to national politics.

There are so many meaningful and understandable quotes that Starbucks could have used I wonder why they used that one?

Ray
10-05-2008, 08:28 PM
In context the quote from Madelaine Albright refers to women who reach the top of the corporate ladder and for whatever reason pull up the ladder and are unwilling to mentor qualified women below them. Politics of a sort but little meaning to national politics.

There are so many meaningful and understandable quotes that Starbucks could have used I wonder why they used that one?
Right. I just don't see why its such a big deal for Palin to quote it, even if she screwed up the quote. There's MORE than PLENTY to take issue with about her, but for the Huffington Post to make a huge issue out of that? It doesn't contribute much to the level of discourse, which is part of what I thought this thread had become about.

-Ray

Tobias
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Political process. Broken... can it be fixed?To me it seems inadequate rather than broken. Society has changed too rapidly and the process hasn’t been able to keep up with changes. The inner workings of the political process appear overwhelmed IMHO.

As just one example: Advances in technology have grown exponentially making life and the choices we make far more numerous and also more complicated. And because choices generally mean having to compromise, the political process is overwhelmed with different interests pulling in too many directions. That's why it's so hard to get anything done, and often even that is wrong.

ti_boi
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Springsteen said it best "It needs care; it needs saving, it needs defending against those who would sell it down the river for power or a quick buck. " :beer: