PDA

View Full Version : Mich Pro3 vs Conti GP 4000S

SoCalSteve
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone tried these tires from both companies?

Any comparisons?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

dekindy
10-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I have been riding Conti's but I bought a set of Pro3's because my LBS recommended them and I wanted red sidewalls. However I returned them because I read many negative comments. They are supposed to be grippier than the 2's but not as durable or puncture resistant. Several reviewers that had ridden Pro's forever do not like them are looking to buy as many 2's as they can or hoping Michelin will keep producing them. There were many positive comments also but I got scared off because I have had great personal experience with Conti's.

Some of my riding buddies rode 2's until the 4000S came out and switched because the new Conti was now more puncture resistant. They were going to switch back to the Michelin's because the new 3 was supposed to be puncture resistant. Maybe I will get some feedback from them.

Ahneida Ride
10-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Steve

I know I sound like a broked CD ...

But I've had sidewall issues with all my Conti ...

keep an eye on them ...

Elefantino
10-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Not having ridden the 4000S, I will say that the 4000 is an revolutionary improvement over the 3000, which may have been the worst top-end clincher ever made by a major company, the Pinto of bicycle tires.

I have had no sidewall issues with the 4000s.

toaster
10-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Anyone looking for a Michelin Pro 3 with red sidewall color PM me. I'll sell it cheap.

It's only been on the front for 500-600 miles, no punctures, no cuts.

Michael Maddox
10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
My friend Roger had a sidewall blow out on a new pair of Pro 3s, while descending Hog Pen last weekend. Scary? Uh, YEAH! Has contacted Michelin about them, but have heard nothing yet.

I rode Pro 3s this morning, same color, from Roger's shop, in fact. (Crossing my fingers.)

cdimattio
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone tried these tires from both companies?

Any comparisons?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

For me the Pro 3's seem to have a better grip and feel more lively. They are prone to cuts and appear to wear quickly. Pro 2 version seemed more durable. No flatting issues due to a choice to replace them after the accumulation of cuts.

Conti 4000S wears much better and would seem less prone to flats.

No problem with the sidewalls on either brand of tire.

Oakely-Erik
10-05-2008, 07:59 PM
GP4000s seem to hold up a lot better in my experience. I rode Pro Race 2s and liked them a lot but the 3s just don't seem to hold up very well (600 miles the set I tried then blew out).

alancw3
10-06-2008, 07:04 AM
i am on my third conti 4000 rear tire now. prior two both got 2500 miles each right down to the core w/o a flat. very durable and consistant wear! i am not a weenie at 6'4" and 220 lbs. i still have the original conti on the front. i use to rotate but now i am either too lazy or old to do that. i find that i go thru three rear tires to one front and therefore usually buy four at a time for a price break. these tires came on my six13 when i bought it. i was thinking about trying the pro3 but i guess i am so happy with the conti's i will stay with them. in my many years of cycling i use to get alot of flats before the 4000. for me i guess it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! no side wall issues for me.

jrmerson
10-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Had my fourth sidewall blowout this summer with a conti 4000 5 miles into the MS 150 this past weekend. :crap:

dekindy
10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Had my fourth sidewall blowout this summer with a conti 4000 5 miles into the MS 150 this past weekend. :crap:

I have ridden a lot the last three years and have never seen or even heard of a sidewall blowout. What is the cause and why so many? Do you have rough roads with lots of grooves in them? Overinflating?

jrmerson
10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Ya know, I don't know.

120 psi is the max recomended and where I inflate them. We do have a lot of chip seal around here. I have only one left. I am using some gatorskins on another wheel set and we'll see how they go. After over two years on conti 4000s, the wear indicators have not been necessary. The sidewalls go much sooner. I like the ride, cornering, and all that other stuff. Side wall blow outs are loud unexecpted, and spectacular. A true test of my CDA's handling was a high speed front tire blow out going down on of our hills here in the Hill Country. Very stable ride until until we got below 10 mph. I was able to handle it from there. Thanks Ben. Thanks Kelly.

android
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I tried Pro 3s over the summer. Got a little less than 900 miles on two rear tires with several flats a week before they were no good due to major cuts.

I went back to Conti 4000S and no more constant flats.

The Pro3s ride nice, but not worth the aggravation. I'll use up the 2 remaining as front tires, but won't be getting anymore.

marle
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
The Pro 3s are fantanstic in the wet.

SoCalSteve
10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
The Pro 3s are fantanstic in the wet.

Whats that?

Just sayin'

Steve (from Sunny SoCal)

alancw3
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Whats that?

Just sayin'

Steve (from Sunny SoCal)

i hear you! just wish i could afford to live in la jolla!!!!

Dan Le foot
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I kept blowing out the side walls on the 3000. Started buying the Hutchinson price point tires from Performance for about $24. But they are real soft and cut and flat often. I change them at about 1500 miles or so if they last that long.
My wife has switched over from the Pro 2/3 to the Conti 4000 and loves them. Seems to wear much better than the 3000s.
Thought I would give the Conti's another try.

Who has the hottest current price on the 4000s?
Thanks
dan

R2D2
10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I have switched to GP4000S.
They have come a long way.
Great wear. Took hundreds of miles to wear out the little mold seem on the front tire.

Simon Q
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone tried the new Schwalbe Ultremo R clinchers?

From what I have read they seem to be a more supple ride than the 4000S but have a Vectran later like the 4000S for better flat protection so maybe they are a good compromise?

blschaefer1
10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I've currently have both the Pro3's and 4000s installed on different wheelsets. The 4000's are clearly wearing better and in my mind have a more supple ride quality. The Pro3's are developing small 'cracks' in the main contact surface which seem strange and concerning to me. The Pro3's do stick like bubble gum, though, and make a cool humming sound when they are really pushed in corners.

Interestingly, I have not flatted the Pro3's but have had two in the 4000s's though. Must be an anamoly though as I have historically had great flat resistance with Conti's.

rustychisel
10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Pro3's less resistant to cuts than Pro2's?? No way am I going down that path...

I know it's off topic, but if you're worried about longevity, puncture proofing and no sidewall blowouts, Vittoria Rubino Pro is the way to go. These tyres will not die.

tuscanyswe
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
beeing a messenger i put alot of miles in and i hit just about anything thats out there on the roads. I love 4000s, infact i havent had a flat with them yet and they look really good after 4 month constant use. I never tried pro 3 but i feel no need to change from the contis. The feel fast and have exellent grip.

Id buy em again anyday!

john903
10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I must be the exception, I put the pro 3's on in June have 1000 mi on them and never had a flat. Yes they do have very small scraps on them but not cuts, yes the rear is showing wear but just starting to. They are great in the rain much better then the original axial pro's. They are very grippy in corners and supple. I ride in all types of conditinons even a bit on gravel rail to trail sections, now the disclaimer I have never used Conti tires(perhaps some day but if your happy with what you have,) so that disqualifies me as far as a comparison but I will definatly stay with the pro 3's
Have a great fall.
John

rounder
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I blew out a sidewall on a front gp 4000 two weeks ago. i had been riding contis for years with no problems other than occasional explainable flats. it was so unexpected that i replaced the tube without even checking for a tear in the sidewall. ten yards later, another flat when the tube got sucked into the hole. hoping that it was an anomaly (sp?) and went out and bought a set of gp 4000s'.

blschaefer1
10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Your spelling (anomaly) is correct, sir. Mine is not so good - fingers moving faster than than mind these days...and there is no spell check here to save me.