PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Vinokourov has announced plans to return to professional cycling

jmc22
10-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Disgraced Tour de France star Alexander Vinokourov has announced plans to return to professional cycling, with the Astana team of Lance Armstrong, according to reports in Belgium on Saturday.

The 35-year-old Russian from Kazakhstan was handed a one-year ban after testing positive for homologous blood doping at the 2007 Tour de France, from which his former team Astana, then under different management, was thrown out.

According to Belgian television channel Sporza, Vinokourov is aiming to return in 2009. But he said the Giro d'Italia, held between May and June, would be his first priority before an eventual return to the Tour de France in 2010.

"My first objective will be the Giro," Vino said in an exclusive interview to be aired by Sporza on Sunday.

Vinokourov believes he would manage to rejoin Astana, which since his ban has undergone a management overhaul with the arrival of Johan Bruyneel, the man who helped steer Armstrong to seven straight yellow jerseys.

"I think I would be able to return to Astana, the team I launched after Liberty Seguros folded," added Vinokourov, who according to Sporza is due to speak about the doping controversy which has surrounded him.

It remains to be seen how those intentions are welcomed by Bruyneel, and his latest recruit, Armstrong.

Armstrong has recently come out of a three-year retirement and will race for Astana next season, with a view to winning an eighth yellow jersey.

On Saturday several leading newspapers in Europe carried reports about Vinokourov's return, although Bruyneel, according to Dutch paper De Telegraaf, said he is "unaware" of the Kazakh's intentions.

Advertisement
However, if the Kazakh owners of the team sanction Vinokourov's return - Vinokourov personally knows the Kazakh Minister of Defense Danyal Akhmetov, who is also the president of the Kazakh cycling federation - to the team, Bruyneel could be in the privileged, but frustrating position of having four star riders on his payroll.

Bruyneel signed Armstrong to Astana despite the team's current leader, Alberto Contador, winning his third Grand Tour within 15 months two weeks ago when he added the Vuelta a España trophy to his 2008 Giro d'Italia and 2007 Tour de France crowns. Contador finished the Vuelta 48 seconds ahead of his Astana teammate, Levi Leipheimer, who has also been touted as a possible team captain.

Vinokourov announced his retirement from cycling after being handed a one-year ban by the Kazakh cycling federation.

The UCI may also be prompted to react to the news.

After being handed just a one-year ban by the Kazakh cycling federation, the UCI said in June - after Vinokourov hinted he might participate at the Olympic Games - it reserved the right to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to increase the sanction

The only reason the UCI did not immediately appeal the length of the ban - which began in mid-July, 2007 - was because the Kazakh retired almost as soon as it was officially confirmed.

Now Vinokourov is planning to return, the UCI's appeal to CAS - for a possible year's extension - may be reactivated, meaning the Kazakh would be sidelined until July 2009.

The blond-haired all-rounder claimed his first three-week stage race victory when he won the Vuelta in 2006, adding to successes in the Liege-Bastogne-Liege (2005), the Amstel Gold Race (2003), Paris-Nice (2002, 2003) and three stages on the Tour de France.

Erik.Lazdins
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the post - this story is getting more interesting every day!

When is Jan coming back? :)

Tom Kellogg
10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
hire him. Simple as that. He appears to be living in a different dimension from the rest of us. He seems to think that what he was caught doing is somehow OK.

cadence90
10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the post - this story is getting more interesting every day!

When is Jan coming back? :)
And the Chicken, etc?

Like in golf and the oft-proposed "doped Olympics" and "clean Olympics", maybe we need a "clean ProTour" and a "Masters ProTour".

Heck, the Masters peloton might even outnumber the clean one.
"Mr. Riccardo Ricco', the new junior member from Italy, just said...." :rolleyes:

1centaur
10-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

or, with apologies for putting alliteration above geopolitics,

"the Rock Racing of Russia."

Kloeden, Tour Podium, Option 5; Zubeldia, Tour Top 5, Option 6.

The very reason Astana was not let in the Tour in 2008 despite Astana not being Astana anymore, threatening to wreck the party for everyone. If I were Contador, I think I'd be flinging my bike in disgust right now.

And then there's the great ironic possibility: Bruyneel begs the ASO to keep Vino off Astana so Johan doesn't have to fight the paymasters.

Climb01742
10-04-2008, 05:32 PM
an idea: anyone who is suspended, to ever be readmitted to race, must give a full allocution/confession of their offense, naming all names. if they don't, they can't be race. fess up or shut up.

jmc22
10-04-2008, 05:57 PM
an idea: anyone who has been suspended for dopping - should only be allowed to be on a team that only has previously suspended riders on it.....ohhhh wait a second, there is already a team out there...Rock Racing.... :fight:

GoJavs
10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd like to see them all come back next year. Basso, Lance, Vino, Heras, Ullrich, Landis, etc....For one year, let all of those dudes come back and just race.

I don't care if some of them glow in the dark. :)

cadence90
10-04-2008, 06:51 PM
an idea: anyone who is suspended, to ever be readmitted to race, must give a full allocution/confession of their offense, naming all names. if they don't, they can't be race. fess up or shut up.
Plus new, complete and accurate blood "passports".

cadence90
10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I'd like to see them all come back next year. Basso, Lance, Vino, Heras, Ullrich, Landis, etc....For one year, let all of those dudes come back and just race.

I don't care if some of them glow in the dark. :)
I would hope that a lot of (hopefully) clean riders would protest that.
If one lets them come back, one can't really sanction their participation to one year.

Let them ride in the Tour de ex-Dopers, for all I care.

cadence90
10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
France hates Lance yet again. (http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-armstrong&prov=ap&type=lgns)

“I’ve stated clearly, my main objective in 2009 is to bring about global awareness of a disease that kills 8 million people annually worldwide. Nobody ever said that I need the Tour de France in order to try and achieve this,” he said in a statement.

“It comes down to an issue of distraction—while I love the event and France’s people, I cannot accept this sort of grandstanding which distracts from the Livestrong message that is urgently needed, and being sought out, in many other places around the world.”

Well, bud, then get out there as LAF Chairman and Founder and speak, raise money, deal with other cancer foundations, deal with the CDC, deal with the Department of Health and Human Services, etc...instead of spending "I'm on my bike 6 (Nike) hours a day" again.

“The last time I checked I won the tour seven straight years and was never once found to be guilty of doping despite seven years of intense scrutiny,” Armstrong said. “Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also never found to be positive. We won clean and fair."

Well, not quite accurate: riders banned/fired while on Armstrong teams:
Gianpaolo Mondini, USPS, 2002
Ivan Basso, Disco, 2007

Ex-Postal/Disco riders banned soon after leaving:
Manuel Beltrán
Vladimir Gusev
Tyler Hamilton
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis

I don't hate Lance (quite the contrary), but I do think it's time to move on....

neverraced
10-04-2008, 08:49 PM
"Disgraced Tour de France star "

Reported to the Department of Redundancy Dept.

JMerring
10-05-2008, 09:34 AM
methinks it is time for johan and lance to get doctors michele ferrari, manolo saiz and eufemiano fuentes on board.

jmc22
10-05-2008, 06:30 PM
France hates Lance yet again. (http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-tourdefrance-armstrong&prov=ap&type=lgns)

“I’ve stated clearly, my main objective in 2009 is to bring about global awareness of a disease that kills 8 million people annually worldwide. Nobody ever said that I need the Tour de France in order to try and achieve this,” he said in a statement.

“It comes down to an issue of distraction—while I love the event and France’s people, I cannot accept this sort of grandstanding which distracts from the Livestrong message that is urgently needed, and being sought out, in many other places around the world.”

Well, bud, then get out there as LAF Chairman and Founder and speak, raise money, deal with other cancer foundations, deal with the CDC, deal with the Department of Health and Human Services, etc...instead of spending "I'm on my bike 6 (Nike) hours a day" again.

“The last time I checked I won the tour seven straight years and was never once found to be guilty of doping despite seven years of intense scrutiny,” Armstrong said. “Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also never found to be positive. We won clean and fair."

Well, not quite accurate: riders banned/fired while on Armstrong teams:
Gianpaolo Mondini, USPS, 2002
Ivan Basso, Disco, 2007

Ex-Postal/Disco riders banned soon after leaving:
Manuel Beltrán
Vladimir Gusev
Tyler Hamilton
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis

I don't hate Lance (quite the contrary), but I do think it's time to move on....

But Armstrongs statement is 100% accurate if you read his statement in the content in which it was written as he was only talking about the TDF when he stated: Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also never found to be positive.

Gianpaolo Mondini, USPS, 2002 - The US Postal team has sacked Italian cyclist, Gianpaolo Mondini, in light of yesterday's recommendation by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) to suspend him for four and a half years for drug possession. The USPS team management issued a statement to that effect today in Brugge, Belgium, in accordance with its "zero-tolerance" drug policy.

Mondini was one of 13 cyclists recommended for suspensions ranging from 6 months to four and a half years by CONI, who based their findings on the results of the investigations into the 2001 Giro blitz. According to prosecutor Giacomo Aiello's report, police found EPO and growth hormones in his hotel room when it was searched. Mondini also admitted to using illegal substances when questioned earlier this year.

At the time of the Giro, he rode for Marco Pantani's Mercatone Uno team, before joining USPS at the end of last year. "When forbidden products were found on him, he was riding for another team," said the USPS statement. "The team management did not know that Mondini was at fault when he joined the US Postal Service team."

Ivan Basso - joined the team after LA retired from the sport.

And as you stated:
Ex-Postal/Disco riders banned after leaving:
Manuel Beltrán
Vladimir Gusev
Tyler Hamilton
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis

Yet still after all of the testing done on LA and his team during the TDF, no one ever tested positive and yet people still belive they doped...I don't understand it!?!?! :crap: :crap: :crap:

BBB
10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
But Armstrongs statement is 100% accurate if you read his statement in the content in which it was written as he was only talking about the TDF when he stated: Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also never found to be positive.

Gianpaolo Mondini, USPS, 2002 - The US Postal team has sacked Italian cyclist, Gianpaolo Mondini, in light of yesterday's recommendation by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) to suspend him for four and a half years for drug possession. The USPS team management issued a statement to that effect today in Brugge, Belgium, in accordance with its "zero-tolerance" drug policy.

Mondini was one of 13 cyclists recommended for suspensions ranging from 6 months to four and a half years by CONI, who based their findings on the results of the investigations into the 2001 Giro blitz. According to prosecutor Giacomo Aiello's report, police found EPO and growth hormones in his hotel room when it was searched. Mondini also admitted to using illegal substances when questioned earlier this year.

At the time of the Giro, he rode for Marco Pantani's Mercatone Uno team, before joining USPS at the end of last year. "When forbidden products were found on him, he was riding for another team," said the USPS statement. "The team management did not know that Mondini was at fault when he joined the US Postal Service team."

Ivan Basso - joined the team after LA retired from the sport.

And as you stated:
Ex-Postal/Disco riders banned after leaving:
Manuel Beltrán
Vladimir Gusev
Tyler Hamilton
Roberto Heras
Floyd Landis

Yet still after all of the testing done on LA and his team during the TDF, no one ever tested positive and yet people still belive they doped...I don't understand it!?!?! :crap: :crap: :crap:

And what of Andreau who said he doped in order to perform to the required level as to did one other, on the provision of anonymity - presumably Vaughters. Neither recorded a positive test but made it quite clear they doped. And really, do you think all those riders that were caught after they left suddenly discovered doping only after they left?

cadence90
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
This entire thing is becoming "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." - W. J. Clinton

jmc22
10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
And what of Andreau who said he doped in order to perform to the required level as to did one other, on the provision of anonymity - presumably Vaughters. Neither recorded a positive test but made it quite clear they doped. And really, do you think all those riders that were caught after they left suddenly discovered doping only after they left?

So you do you really think that once these riders left LA's side they forgot how to fool the testing and then all of a sudden got caught dopping whereas if LA was there they wouldn't have? or that LA is that much smarter then everyone else that he can attempt a come-back to the sport where most ppl especially the French are out to try and prove at any costs he does dope?

Time to wake up and smell the coffee here folks...

BBB
10-05-2008, 08:10 PM
So you do you really think that once these riders left LA's side they forgot how to fool the testing and then all of a sudden got caught dopping whereas if LA was there they wouldn't have? or that LA is that much smarter then everyone else that he can attempt a come-back to the sport where most ppl especially the French are out to try and prove at any costs he does dope?

Time to wake up and smell the coffee here folks...

So no comment on the Andreau situation? LA seemingly ignores it as well. Never let the facts get in the way of a press release I suppose. I guess you can spin it by reason of the fact that Andreau and the mysterious one other did not get caught, but that would be being disingenuous.

No I do not believe they forgot how to fool the testers. Maybe they got sloppy or maybe they did not receive the same 'support' outside the US Postal/Discovery camp.

jmc22
10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
So no comment on the Andreau situation? LA seemingly ignores it as well. Never let the facts get in the way of a press release I suppose. I guess you can spin it by reason of the fact that Andreau and the mysterious one other did not get caught, but that would be being disingenuous.

No I do not believe they forgot how to fool the testers. Maybe they got sloppy or maybe they did not receive the same 'support' outside the US Postal/Discovery camp.

Andreu admitted that he had taken EPO to help prepare for the 1999 Tour de France...not while riding in the TDF...also never said that he saw LA take EPO before/during the TDF...Andreu said he was introduced to performance enhancing drugs back in 1995...lastly Andreu was the same person and only person that also said that LA admitted to taking EPO while he was recovering from his fight against Cancer...not worth much weight in my book if you ask me...just more or the same boring unfounded "facts" about LA...

Do you like cream and sugar in your coffee?

BBB
10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Andreu admitted that he had taken EPO to help prepare for the 1999 Tour de France...not while riding in the TDF...just more or the same boring unfounded "facts" about LA...

Do you like cream and sugar in your coffee?

So what you are saying is that drugs were involved? That's a little different than the LA spin.

Sure milk in coffee is fine. I'll make myself one and bring you some ignorance with your bliss... :)

mikki
10-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Agree. Current enrollees will be fighting for the limelight; no one helping anyone. Will be interesting to see who's going to shake out.

Lifelover
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Agree. Current enrollees will be fighting for the limelight; no one helping anyone. Will be interesting to see who's going to shake out.

I disagree.

I could see this group getting angry and riding in rage, simply to cause pain.

I'm Fn lovin it. This could be the best year of racing EVER. Of course it could just as easily fizzle out.

Viper
10-05-2008, 11:06 PM

Lance
Lance
Lance

Peoples of the world, make the bet and take the bet for one US dollar/FRN. If there is anything crystal clear in the coming months, while our election twists and our economy turns, it's that Mr. Lance Armstrong came out of retirement not for cancer in Cambodia, China or Canton, Ohio, it's that Armstrong is clipping back in to win the Tour de France.

The races Armstrong enters are merely photo ops, fodder for financial support, but they'll also serve as warm-ups for le Tour. Armstrong will ride the races that suit his skin and the only hide that matters is his arse atop the podium in Paris.

Let their be no confusion, Armstrong didn't join the captial city of Kazakstan's group of professional cyclists, Astana, they joined him. More bluntly, Armstrong would've joined whichever team Johan Bruyneel, CEO consultant of JBSM*, was managing. It's the year of election anytime one listens to Armstrong, regardless of what he says or anyone on the team offers, the moment the record-setting, seven time Tour de France winner signed on the dotted line with Astana, all riders on that team knew it was all for one and one for the win.

Алексaндр Николаевич Винокуровwas, known to many as Alexander Nikolaevich Vinokourov, was the face of Russianish Team Astana for years, he can assist in generating both interest and financial support for Team Lance. Perhaps Vino is warming up to take Alberto Contador's spot as Armstrong's had enough and it's time for Contador to ride into the sunset.

It's about money. It's not about cancer when on the bike, it's about business and taking care of business means winning the Tour de France. As a group of Kazakh state-owned businesses finance Team Astana, Johan and Lance are in it to win it and it is the malliot jaune. A coalition of cyclists willl be assembled on Team Astana and their sole purpose will be to deliver first place in France next summer, with a Texan as Moses; live by my rules, especially # 2, "Do not have any other cyclists before me."

Ciffnotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQGaPszs8Fk

* = http://www.johanbruyneel.com/services.html

As CEO of Johan Bruyneel Sports Management, Johan leads a full service sports marketing and management company. With offices throughout Europe, JBSM is committed to providing business-building solutions, allowing teams, athletes and brands to attain their maximum global potential.

JBSM’s areas of expertise include:

Team start-up & management consulting
Marketing & PR consulting
Media production & distribution
Event/hospitality creation & management
Brand management and consulting
Sponsorship sales
Consumer product licensing
Athlete representation
Website creation & management
Protection of intellectual property rights
Legal, financial & tax planning

Lifelover
10-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Lance
Lance
Lance

Peoples of the world, make the bet and take the bet for one US dollar/FRN. If there is anything crystal clear in the coming months, while our election twists and our economy turns, it's that Mr. Lance Armstrong came out of retirement not for cancer in Cambodia, China or Canton, Ohio, it's that Armstrong is clipping back in to win the Tour de France.

The races Armstrong enters are merely photo ops, fodder for financial support, but they'll also serve as warm-ups for le Tour. Armstrong will ride the races that suit his skin and the only hide that matters is his arse atop the podium in Paris.

Let their be no confusion, Armstrong didn't join the captial city of Kazakstan's group of professional cyclists, Astana, they joined him. More bluntly, Armstrong would've joined whichever team Johan Bruyneel, CEO consultant of JBSM*, was managing. It's the year of election anytime one listens to Armstrong, regardless of what he says or anyone on the team offers, the moment the record-setting, seven time Tour de France winner signed on the dotted line with Astana, all riders on that team knew it was all for one and one for the win.

Алексaндр Николаевич Винокуровwas, known to many as Alexander Nikolaevich Vinokourov, was the face of Russianish Team Astana for years, he can assist in generating both interest and financial support for Team Lance. Perhaps Vino is warming up to take Alberto Contador's spot as Armstrong's had enough and it's time for Contador to ride into the sunset.

It's about money. It's not about cancer when on the bike, it's about business and taking care of business means winning the Tour de France. As a group of Kazakh state-owned businesses finance Team Astana, Johan and Lance are in it to win it and it is the malliot jaune. A coalition of cyclists willl be assembled on Team Astana and their sole purpose will be to deliver first place in France next summer, with a Texan as Moses; live by my rules, especially # 2, "Do not have any other cyclists before me."

As CEO of Johan Bruyneel Sports Management, Johan leads a full service sports marketing and management company. With offices throughout Europe, JBSM is committed to providing business-building solutions, allowing teams, athletes and brands to attain their maximum global potential.

Sponsorship sales
Athlete representation

True Dat!

I suspect this Astana team will be focused and might win every race they enter.

soulspinner
10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
hire him. Simple as that. He appears to be living in a different dimension from the rest of us. He seems to think that what he was caught doing is somehow OK.

+1-with Brunyel on board it aint gonna happen, Vino.

jmc22
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
So what you are saying is that drugs were involved? That's a little different than the LA spin.

Sure milk in coffee is fine. I'll make myself one and bring you some ignorance with your bliss... :)

I didn't say they were involved, you and Frankie said that they were taken before the 99' tour...right now I don't think a lot of people believe much of anything that Frankie says...This is a guy that can't hold a job and is currently working for a womens cycling team...but you're free to read and believe in anything you want if it helps you sleep better at night…

The mind is a terrible thing to waste…. please put it to good use. :rolleyes:

soulspinner
10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Play nice. Dont make brother Pete get out the nightstick :crap:

Viper
10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Lance
Lance
Lance

Sponsorship sales
Athlete representation

Note: I am willing to bet anyone $1.00, one US FRN that Lance wins the Tour. Think of the odds that he won't. Think of what a $1.00 will get you next July?

PS. I'll make the bet, but will only pay out in beer at some Serottaesque TdF gathering next summer. My money, I mean, my beer is on Lance for he is Moses and will part the Alpes.

:beer:

BBB
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
The mind is a terrible thing to waste…. please put it to good use. :rolleyes:

Indeed. For a thread that started off about Vino and his un-retirement plans, to digress to working for a women's team and credibility and a cyclist as a biblical figure, I'm inclined to agree you.

soulspinner
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Note: I am willing to bet anyone $1.00, one US FRN that Lance wins the Tour. Think of the odds that he won't. Think of what a $1.00 will get you next July?

PS. I'll make the bet, but will only pay out in beer at some Serottaesque TdF gathering next summer. My money, I mean, my beer is on Lance for he is Moses and will part the Alpes.

O.K. Problem is 1.00 worth of beer aint much. I will accept a whole Harps though. :) 3 seasons away?

Viper
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
O.K. Problem is 1.00 worth of beer aint much. I will accept a whole Harps though. :) 3 seasons away?

July is beer month and the beaches WILL be open. Gonna be one helluva fourth of July. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Note: I am willing to bet anyone $1.00, one US FRN that Lance wins the Tour.

Viper ... You are on! 1 frn bet !!!!! Ok ? :p ;) :banana: :beer:

and by that time 1 frn won't even buy a stick of chewing gum. :eek: