PDA

View Full Version : stack height: speedplay vs lance pedals

Climb01742
11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
does anyone happen to know the difference in stack height between speedplay X1 pedals and shimano lance pedals? merci.

DfCas
11-04-2004, 07:55 PM
The published specs,as they use various ways to measure.Your best hope is someone will measure from the center of the axle to the sole of the shoe.

I'll give you more useless info-Coombe Pros with the Sidi cleat were the lowest I've ever had.My list includes Speedplay X,Frogs,Zero,Look,Time Impact,Time ATAC,Keywin.

Dan C.

Too Tall
11-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Pedal Stack Heights I have on hand:

Speedplay Zero 11.5mm
7750 SPD-SL 13.93mm
Time Impact Mag 14.56mm
Look CX-7 23.6mm

Climb01742
11-05-2004, 08:32 AM
thanks, too tall. so if i'm understanding things correctly, if i were switching a bike from SPD-SLs to speedplays, i should lower my saddle around 2-2.5mm, yes? thanks alot.

Bittersweet
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Climb:

Please file a ride report on your switch to Speedplays. I realize that this topic has been hit pretty hard on the forum but I'm interested in a direct comparison between the SL to the Speedplays from a recent convert. I purchased a new bike this summer (Comp Cyclist/Merckx Team SC/OrangeBlue paint/orange Flite/orange tape/ DA10/ SSC-SL (you can see pic on their site)) and have the SLs on it. I mention the bike only because I believe you also have a recent orange Team SC addition in your stable. I don't tend to fiddle too much by trying various parts but I am seriously considering a change to the Zeros after three months of being OK but not madly in love with the SLs because they have so little float. I've done FIT KIT RAD, etc., etc., etc, but they are still a little funky for me.

Thanks

Climb01742
11-05-2004, 09:27 AM
bittersweet, i'll definitely report back. i'm riding the speedplays (X1) this weekend. yes, i do have a blue/orange team sc. which i love. and right now it has SPD-SLs on it. i'm in the same boat as you. i'm pretty happy with the lance pedals. given my funky biomechanics, rather than finding the perfect pedal solution, i may be searching for the least imperfect one. enjoy your merckx. it's sweet, isn't it?

Bittersweet
11-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Absolutely no disappointments on the Merckx. Guys at Competitive Cyclist were really nice as well. The geo of the Merckx was almost identical to my custom steel which is great for someone as tall as me. Post a pic of yours somewhere (bikefanclub/serotta forum) as I'm always keen on seeing how people build up their dream machines.

I'll look for your thougths on the Speedplays.

Keith A
11-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Climb -- Too Tall gave you the exact numbers already, but I was going to simply state that from my own measurements (I have both pedal systems) I found them to be very close in stack height. If you are highly sensitive to your saddle height, you might want to make the minimal change -- otherwise you should be fine with your existing seat height.

Bittersweet -- I am riding with both pedal systems (altough I'm using the Zero's instead of the X1's) and have posted a number of reviews on this subject. I have had both sytems for about 18 months or so after switching from the original Shimano SPD's. I was undecided at the time about which pedal system to standardize on, so I set up a bike with each type of pedal. If you do an advanced search on my name "Keith A" and SpeedPlay and you should find my comments. I've also did a somewhat lengthy review on the old Serotta Forum and this can be found at My Pedal Review (http://www.hydromedia.com/serotta/read.php?f=1&i=41905&t=41905&v=f)

Bittersweet
11-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Keith A:

Thanks I'll take a look at your previous posts