PDA

View Full Version : OT: Update on my friend

hansolo758
10-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Serottaworld:

Many of you know that a friend of mine was in a serious bicycling accident recently that left him paralyzed from the chest down from a broken neck. I posted about it here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50348&highlight=serottaworld)

You might be interested to know he's doing well, relatively speaking. He can't walk but is using his arms. He's out of the ICU and going to rehab. He's exhausted by rehab but understands he needs it. When my friend used to run marathons, he would approach a hill by roaring and baring his teeth at it -- I guess the hill became a living organism that needed to be told it didn't intimidate him -- and he's approaching rehab the same way, which is only a good thing.

So, he's in remarkably good spirits -- which is something I'm sure I wouldn't be. My friend is a man of strong religious convictions and says that God must have a purpose for him. His family is adjusting to all this better than I would have thought. There is a group of people knowledgeable about construction that is going to be looking into remodeling his home so that he can get around in a wheelchair when he finally leaves the hospital. So, things are going as well as they can.

Thank you all for your messages of support. He and his family read every single reply to the thread. They are extremely grateful for your messages and humbled that people would be supportive of someone they didn't even know. There are remarkably good people on this forum.

Again, if any of you would like to read his story on the hospital website or post comments in his electronic guestbook, please pm me and I can send you the relevant link.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
If he's able to use his arms then I would think that's a tremendous difference in being able to care for himself, get around, and possibly get back into some form of cycling with a hand cycle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that recovery and repair of these types of injuries is a constantly improving area as new research is done in nerve regeneration and repair.

I'm so glad to hear he's in good spirits and attacking his rehab with such a great frame of mind!

BBD

hansolo758
10-04-2008, 06:54 PM
If he's able to use his arms then I would think that's a tremendous difference in being able to care for himself, get around, and possibly get back into some form of cycling with a hand cycle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that recovery and repair of these types of injuries is a constantly improving area as new research is done in nerve regeneration and repair.

I'm so glad to hear he's in good spirits and attacking his rehab with such a great frame of mind!

BBD

Dave:

Thanks so much. I was disappointed to hear about your job situation and I hope your job search is going well. It says a lot about you that in the midst of your situation, you can take time out to empathize with the plight of another.

All the best to you.

Karin Kirk
10-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Hansolo, thanks for the update. A friend and teammate here recently suffered a similar injury with a similar outcome. Yesterday team members were just discussing a remodel of her house, which really makes it sink in that this is permanent. Scary stuff indeed.

It's great news that your friend has a positive outlook and is taking on the rehab with his usual strength of character. In the end it's the mindset that makes all the difference and I applaud him for being able to maintain his healthy attitude. I wish him and his family all the best.

link
10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
The story here is a genuinely humbling one for me. It reminds me of how I want to live my life ...generous, caring, gentle and loving with moments of bravery and zest. The friend, your friend, of whom you speak is an inspiration for me to reach out and hold all that is worth while in life.

Thank you for sharing ...my thoughts and prayers are with your friend, his family and friends.

paczki
10-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the update. He sounds like an extraordinary person and my thoughts are with him.

hansolo758
10-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks so much, everyone. Be careful out there and take care of yourselves.

Joellogicman
10-05-2008, 07:24 AM

Yesterday riding about, I saw what appeared to be a recumbent coming my way. As it got closer I realized it was a hand cycle.

Technology is really helping people who lose the use of their legs continue with their lives. The good attitude this person has will make the difference, I hope.

mikki
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
HansSolo,

I am grateful for the progress your friend is making. You are a BIG HEART (I have always thought that) and a good friend to have.

Will continue to pray for your friend's continuing improvement. Although I am sure he has some depression for what he has lost, he must be grateful to be alive.

All my best,
Mikki