PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Concept lll

surf239
10-03-2008, 06:12 AM
I have am considering buying a used steel CSl. However there is 2003 aluminum Concept lll on ebay. Anyone familar with the ride/performance of that bike? Any feel for price ?
Thanks

Pete Serotta
10-03-2008, 07:01 AM
I would take a CSI over an aluminum (old one) any time. GO for the CSI for ride and smiles. It is lugged and aluminum is not.

Elefantino
10-03-2008, 07:24 AM
I'd go for the Atlanta on eBay.

Pete Serotta
10-03-2008, 07:25 AM
If ATLANTA is your size it is a very good ride and will last a l-o-n-g time :)

93legendti
10-03-2008, 07:41 AM
I have am considering buying a used steel CSl. However there is 2003 aluminum Concept lll on ebay. Anyone familar with the ride/performance of that bike? Any feel for price ?
Thanks
CIII is steel.

surf239
10-03-2008, 07:44 AM
thanks for the imput. It reinforces my opinion of steel vs aluminum even with a carbon fork. Of course it also raises the debate of CSl vs Atlanta.

Birddog
10-03-2008, 08:40 AM
CIII is steel.

Are you reading this!

CIII's are steel, said to be basically the same as a CSi except tigged instead of lugged. Atlanta's are said to be about 80% of a CSi. I have both an Atlanta and a CSi, there is not too much perceptible difference between the two.

Birddog

surf239
10-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you for answering my question regarding the difference between Atlanta and CSI. My original question referred to an aluminum Colorado Concept lll with a carbon fork on ebay and the virtues of that bike vs a steel CSI.

Birddog
10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
My original question referred to an aluminum Colorado Concept lll with a carbon fork on ebay

That's the point. To the best of my knowledge, there was never an aluminum CIII. The last aluminum frame that Serotta made was in the 90's IIRC. I can't recall the model name just now, and they only sold it for a short time. Also, I believe it was actually produced by Kinesis in Oregon. There were some who liked the frame, but overall, I think it was not too popular, therefore the short life. Others more up on the history can set this straight. There is either something wrong with your description or the seller's.

Birddog

VeloSlug
10-03-2008, 11:03 AM
There were two aluminium Serottas in the 90's; at different times. One was the "Colorado AL." The other was the "Flanders" produced for the '99 model year.

The Flanders was produced by Kinesis, as Birddog states. I believe Colorado AL might've been from Kinesis as well, but I'm not positive. They were basically price point bikes. Nothing wrong with them, however.

If the OP is after the ride of a Serotta, then the CSi would be the way to go; as long as it FITS .

surf239
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Not that it matters since I have decided to go with the CSI but the seller must be incorrect since it is listed as a 2003. Thanks again for the advice.