PDA

View Full Version : Regal Differences

yodelinpol
10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Is the only difference between this Regal....

http://cgi.ebay.com/SELLE-SAN-MARCO-REGAL-SADDLE-TITANIUM-RAIL-WHITE-WCS_W0QQitemZ320301491720QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116#aboutUs

and this Regal ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SELLE-SAN-MARCO-REGAL-TITANIUM-SADDLE-WHITE_W0QQitemZ300257185349QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid= p3286.m20.l1116

just graphics on one?

Is the unpainted one just more desirable therefore more expensive... cause i don't mind the paint... would look just fine on my blue ride...

Plus, not knowing if i like the Regal, (ride a brooks B17) I don't mind saving the cash.... for more stuff to try out...

Any opinions on the Regal in general? I know it's subjective but oh well... might ass well ask...

Louis
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Any opinions on the Regal in general? I know it's subjective but oh well... might ass well ask...

Earlier this year the Selle Italia I was using went soft and gave me all sorts of problems. That model is no longer in production so I started a long and painful process to find a replacement. I couldn't find anything that worked. I probably tried 6 different models. Finally I settled on a Regal. For me it's OK, but not as comfy as what I'd gotten used to using. Up to 2 hrs it's fine. Between 2 and 3 hours I start to feel slight pain. Longer than three hours, and things start to get quite painful. I haven't found anything better. so I'm still using it.

Random comments:

1) They have very little padding.

2) I did a ride a while back with four other guys, all of whom hang out on this forum. Four of us were riding Regals...

Bottom line for me: A good short term fix until I can find something better.

Birddog
10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I believe the only diff is the graphics. FWIW, I ride a Regal, A B17, Brooks Pro, and an Alliante. I like em all, though they differ. They're all good for a hundred miles or more with me.

Birddog

keno
10-03-2008, 06:28 AM
three are older and black with silver rivets and I recently bought a white one with graphics different from either you linked but with silver rivets. I love the black regals. I am unable to mount the white one as the rails are closer together than the clamp grooves. It is basically useless.

In your position, I would ask the seller to measure the distance (between or outside) specs. in order to see if they will fit the clamp. This will become a question I'll ask on future saddle purchases.

keno

flickwet
10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
these all work for me and are equally comfortable, anything else for me bums me bum.

Pete Serotta
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Richard Sachs on his web site has the "original" style REGAL. They are in RED, BLUE, WHITE. (not sure what he has in stock though)

yodelinpol
10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
What would be the difference as far as the material/build etc of the ones on the Sachs site and the others? I do like the look of them for sure.

Also, I have a 10 year old selle san marco concor lite that came on my Atlanta. Does anyone know if the padding on the Regals is similar? Just looking for a basis of comparison since I don't have a Regal to test or in my hands...

Pete, I see that you live in Raleigh... Do you know of a triangle area shop that carries Regals (or Brooks for that matter? Still haven't counted out another Brooks...) I wouldn't mind being able to check some out in person...

Thanks!

-Kenny

Birddog
10-03-2008, 08:36 AM
My Regal that I assume is an older style as it is 5 years old, has about 5mm of padding under the cover. The padding seems to be consistent throughout the saddle, i.e., there are no built up spots. I have not noticed any loss of shape or flex, and I'm sure I have close to 5,000 miles or more on the saddle. They are a classically handsome saddle with many fans. Mine also has Ti rails for whatever that is worth.

Birddog

malcolm
10-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I like regals and none have ever been very padded however the newer ones seem to become uncomfortable after a season or so. They also came in perforated models which I detest. The perfs look cool but they grip your shorts and cause pinching whereas the smooth ones allow some movement. Great saddle but not as comfortable as a B-17 for the long haul but I do centuries on them with minimal discomfort.

Pete Serotta
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Sach's will be the same (but no black ones) as to Raleigh Shops

Franks in BrierCreek can order them as can SPIN CYCLE in CARY. both are excellent shops as is Morth Raleigh TREK.

SanMarco if I recall is a little more cushy. I have a REGAL here you can try I am in N RALEIGH and ride out of BLue Jay Park on WEEKENDS>

Hope to meet you. PETE

What would be the difference as far as the material/build etc of the ones on the Sachs site and the others? I do like the look of them for sure.

Also, I have a 10 year old selle san marco concor lite that came on my Atlanta. Does anyone know if the padding on the Regals is similar? Just looking for a basis of comparison since I don't have a Regal to test or in my hands...

Pete, I see that you live in Raleigh... Do you know of a triangle area shop that carries Regals (or Brooks for that matter? Still haven't counted out another Brooks...) I wouldn't mind being able to check some out in person...

Thanks!

-Kenny

rounder
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Excel Sports sells Regal (and also Rolls) saddles. I don't know about any differences in padding, but Excel offers the Regal with both titanium rails (119.95 - 300 gms) and steel rails (89.95 - 371 gms). I bought a ti Regal from Excel last year for about 85.00, so the prices are going up and there are not many places that sell them.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=18

Sasha18
10-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I bought one from the same location. With stripes. They're not too garish. The rails were a bit narrower (a few mm) than standard, but still fit on my seatpost. Get one.

cadence90
10-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Richard Sachs on his web site has the "original" style REGAL. They are in RED, BLUE, WHITE. (not sure what he has in stock though)
To answer yodelinpol's OP, I personally found the Regal a bit hard at first and then too soft (but hard at the same time) pretty quickly, as if the padding sort of disintegrated (too bad, because I did like the shape), but that was quite a while ago and I haven't tried any any new ones. I agree with Louis, at least with regards to my old one, on the long-ride comfort (lack of) and with malcom re: the padding and the perfs (terrible).

Am I seeing things, or are the rivets silver on the striped one?

On Richard's site the red one looks like it has silver rivets, but the blue and white models have brass rivets. He's currently out of stock (at least on the site) of the white ones.

I wish they would bring back the silver rivets on the white version.

It's all subjective, but I also liked the Concor, though I'm on an Arione now, which I like, and would like to try the Aliante although I've read that they are very different from each other.

MilanoTom
10-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I like regals and none have ever been very padded however the newer ones seem to become uncomfortable after a season or so. They also came in perforated models which I detest. The perfs look cool but they grip your shorts and cause pinching whereas the smooth ones allow some movement. Great saddle but not as comfortable as a B-17 for the long haul but I do centuries on them with minimal discomfort.

I didn't have the same experience. I bought a NOS steel-railed white perforated model about five years ago from Nashbar (an alleged second, due to a tiny glue stain on the top, for $9.99). It sat in my house for a couple of years, and when I finally put it on my Grandis, I was hooked. I wish I'd have bought a half dozen more. No problems with gripping/pinching, and the perforated leather looks uber-cool IMHO. I agree, however, that the newer ones don't seem as comfortable. I think the padding is firmer.

Regards,
Tom

Ray
10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
The older ones had more padding than the newer ones, but none have or had much. The one I have feels like it just has a 2-3mm piece of neoprene or something between the leather and the shell. I find it to be a great saddle when I'm between saddles - always good for 30-40 miles, but I've never been able to do long rides on it. I rode mine again for a while this summer while I was testing other saddles, but was really happy to discover the Specialized Phenom, because the Regal was getting pretty irritating. I, it turns out, have pretty widely spaced sit-bones and saddles that are too narrow or too rounded end up putting the pressure in all the wrong places. The Regal is plenty wide but a bit too round for me except when I shove my sit-bones all the way back to the rivets, which is also uncomfortable. I seem to need something in the mid-140s or wider with a reasonably flat profile.

-Ray

malcolm
10-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Mine was NOS as well, not a second and bought NIB from a forumite. It is an awesome looking saddle but it seemed to grip my shorts where as the smooth ones don't. It is the only one with perfs I've tried and probably with the same shorts/bibs so maybe it is the combo of the saddle and that particular brand of shorts. The regal shape seems comfy though.