PDA

View Full Version : What the Eff!!

William
10-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I quote the Declaration of independence and it gets locked immediately????

William

fiamme red
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I quote the Declaration of independence and it gets locked immediately????Are you trying to start a revolution, to have Rhode Island secede from the USA? :)

Louis
10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe you should try quoting from Das Kapital or Mein Kampf. Those are much safer, less controvertial documents.

paczki
10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
You know we still shoot at you damned RI dissenters over the border from Massachusetts. ITt's legal in the home of Cotton Mather. Watch it.

William
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Is the head of Putin floating over our airspace????

William

William
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
You know we still shoot at you damned RI dissenters over the border from Massachusetts. ITt's legal in the home of Cotton Mather. Watch it.

Yeah, yer all sore loosers since Roger Williams beat Cotton in that arm wrasslin match. :p

William

dauwhe
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Try after the election!

Dave

michael white
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I enjoyed rereading the document. It reminded me of how brilliant our founders were--not only obviously well educated, but concerned with writing an artfully crafted text that would stand the test of time. Intellect matters; it really matters a heck of a lot.

(Not trying to start anything, by pointing out severe/glaring/sad deficiencies in recent/current "leaders"--I'm just sayin')

Sandy
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Just a guess, but maybe those who moderate have decided that there have been too many political/goverment threads recently for a bicycle forum. Yours was governmental and/or political in nature and perhaps the moderators simply thought it was time for no more, at least for a while, and your thread happened to be the one in whch said decision was made.

Thomas Jefferson

Ray
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I enjoyed rereading the document. It reminded me of how brilliant our founders were--not only obviously well educated, but concerned with writing an artfully crafted text that would stand the test of time. Intellect matters; it really matters a heck of a lot.

(Not trying to start anything, by pointing out severe/glaring/sad deficiencies in recent/current "leaders"--I'm just sayin')
They were elitists, though, every damn one of 'em. Couldn't get elected dog-catcher today.

-Ray

Blue Jays
10-02-2008, 10:25 AM
"...Maybe those who moderate have decided there have been too many political/goverment threads recently for a bicycle forum. Yours was governmental and/or political in nature and perhaps the moderators simply thought it was time for no more, at least for a while, and your thread happened to be the one in whch said decision was made..."Very likely what transpired.

dekindy
10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
It is definitely not labeled off-topic in the title and neither is this one so I would lock it, too, if I were a moderator. No sympathy here.

I come here to read about bicycles and not to be reminded about politics, economics, etc. If I were moderating I would not allow any off topic discussions. Just my two cents.

Ahneida Ride
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
The US Constitution is the most dangerous document ever written.

Our inalienable rights are granted by our Creator, not government,
and hence cannot be revoked at any time for any reason.

sjbraun
10-02-2008, 10:56 AM
"Our inalienable rights are granted by our Creator"

My Mom and Dad did that for me?

Cool

Kirk Pacenti
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

That's right... On the other hand, if there is no Creator, there are no inalienable rights.

Human Secularism is defined as a "religion" by our government and protected by the 1st Amendment. I believe people who subscribe to that world view are entitled to practice it as they see fit; even lobby for changes to our laws to better reflect their world view, as is their right provided by said government.

But I'm not so sure they'd have the right to complain if they are successful in doing so, and someday those "inalienable" rights were revoked.

Cheers,
KP

Bruce K
10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Wow,

I actually try to stay away for a few hours and look what happens.

BK

girlie
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=567742&postcount=7

William
10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=567742&postcount=7

Peas in a pod I tell you (or pumpkin patch as it were). :)

William

sg8357
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM

I take it you don't fly commercial much. :)

girlie
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM

The Declaration of Independence is not the Constitution...different documents with different purposes.
girlie

mobile homeless
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I enjoyed rereading the document. It reminded me of how brilliant our founders were--not only obviously well educated, but concerned with writing an artfully crafted text that would stand the test of time. Intellect matters...And to think, it was really that damn, highfalutin' Thomas Jefferson that wrote the rough draft that basically remained intact besides some wording and editing details. What an amazing piece of writing that surely could not come from many in our current administration (the word "many" was chosen with care as the lack of the "m" might be too tough to swallow for some, though probably true).

It seems our country has been mired in celebrating what Sam Harris so aptly described as "the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance."

kh

johnnymossville
10-02-2008, 01:52 PM
And to think, it was really that damn, highfalutin' Thomas Jefferson that wrote the rough draft that basically remained intact besides some wording and editing details. What an amazing piece of writing that surely could not come from many in our current administration (the word "many" was chosen with care as the lack of the "m" might be too tough to swallow for some, though probably true).

It seems our country has been mired in celebrating what Sam Harris so aptly described as "the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance."

kh

Jefferson was pretty cool, but I've always been more of a fan of the lowerfalutin more humble background of Ben Franklin.

Joellogicman
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Jefferson was pretty cool, but I've always been more of a fan of the lowerfalutin more humble background of Ben Franklin.

I am re-reading Cornelius Ryan's 'A Bridge to Far' There is a great mention of Franklin I either forgot or glossed over when I read it first (hey, I was an undergrad with all sorts of important undergrad distractions).

General Brereton, First Allied Airborne Comander, kept a plaque on his desk with a quote from Ben Franklin predicting the tactical advantages of an airborne assault.

A true genius.

johnnymossville
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I am re-reading Cornelius Ryan's 'A Bridge to Far' There is a great mention of Franklin I either forgot or glossed over when I read it first (hey, I was an undergrad with all sorts of important undergrad distractions).

General Brereton, First Allied Airborne Comander, kept a plaque on his desk with a quote from Ben Franklin predicting the tactical advantages of an airborne assault.

A true genius.

"Where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense, so that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not, in many places, do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?" -Benjamin Franklin, 1784

there it is.

Kirk Pacenti
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Joellogicman
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
"Where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense, so that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not, in many places, do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?" -Benjamin Franklin, 1784

there it is.

Note the year. 119 years before the Wright Brother's little stint at Kitty Hawk.

mobile homeless
10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I second all the praise of Franklin.

How can one not admire Franklin? Although I'd add that there is an even more pertinent quote these days:

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."

- Benjamin Franklin

Kirk Pacenti
10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I second all the praise of Franklin.

How can one not admire Franklin? Although I'd add that there is an even more pertinent quote these days:

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."

- Benjamin Franklin

One of my all time favorites!

Viper
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason, Common Sense, The American Crisis and The Rights of Man, content I truly enjoyed along with Machiavelli's The Prince. Paine passed away in Greenwich Village, I like knowing how many cool cats hung in the Village. Great writers get arrested, jailed for their pov, I get banned. :)

:beer:

PS. My signature is a neat fyi for all. While I want to save the planet and the smurf village in Mogadishu, right now I gotta focus on a smaller picture, my village, town, city and country. Truth be told, when the sh*t hits the fan as it has, the picture gets even smaller and I focus on my family.

PSS. I learned more from Jack London's The Sea Wolf than any other document, in terms of man against man, man against nature and man against himself. Sea Wolf might've even touched on The Fed, Wall Street and micro/macro economies too. :beer:

Pete Serotta
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
and this had to do with bicycling how? What was the purpose of posting it except to get another thread started like this one.....Come on lets try to mainly focus on bicycling with "some" non biking. (not the other way around).

Yes, I have target painted on my forehead :) :)

nothing personal.....