PDA

View Full Version : Pokey PowerTap

keno
12-12-2003, 01:26 AM
I have an older PowerTap on my indoor trainer bike. When I crank it up, the number readings will stop and sometimes become "---". This happens irregularly. Because I run a separate Polar HRM, I see that the PowerTap is effectively off when those non-readings occur as the time function on the PowerTap will end up lower than that on the Polar. I have new batteries in the PowerTap computer and hub. Anyone know if there is anything I can do to get consistent readings?

dcotcamp
12-12-2003, 02:17 AM
Hi Keno,

Am I right that when the screen shows a bunch of dashes, there is no transmission icon in hte upper left corner of the display?

Is this a PT made by Tune (matte silver hub) or the Graber version (polished silver hub)?

If it's the Graber version, I'd call their customer service folks (800-783-7257). They've been -very- helpful when I've had trouble with mine. If it's the Tune version, you can try calling Graber, but I'm less confident that they'll be able to help. My only other suggestion is that if you have another wiring harness, try the wheel with that one. I doubt that's the problem, but it's nice to be able to tell the Graber folks you tried it.

Good luck,
Dennis

Too Tall
12-12-2003, 07:03 AM
http://www.bicyclewattage.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Leave a message with the (above) wattage forum. Graber mfg. reps are regular members there and will help you. Very impressive support.

dcotcamp
12-12-2003, 07:33 AM
That's a good idea; the wattage forum might be helpful, and I'll say again that the Graber customer service folks are first rate.

If you end up needing to return it to be looked at /repaired, though, you'll need a return authorization number from Graber. That's why I just bite the bullet and call them right away when I have problems - it's often the fastest way to get the problem resloved. By the way, I've never had to wait more than a minute or two to get a real human on the line at Graber.

Dennis

keno
12-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Dennis,

I did as you suggested, and they performed at Graber service as you predicted. The fellow I spoke with said to make the springs holding the batteries in the hub more tight, which I did. It helped somewhat. He also suggested that I use some tape to hold the batteries down. That's for tomorrow. Hopefully, it will solve the rest of the problem.

Thanks for your advice.

keno

dcotcamp
12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Keno,

Great; I hope that works for you. Please let me know.

Dennis