PDA

View Full Version : Firewood Report: Sunny, 68*, Dad, WPA, Menism, Hands and Liverwurst

Viper
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
"Dad's having two cords of wood delivered tomorrow, at 8am" my Mom said over the phone. The end of her sentence had a ping, a verbal cue which left the moment for me to reply, "Tell him I'll be there at 8am."

I wanted to ride today, but knew better as my Dad needed help. He's sixty-eight years old, retired, disabled US Marine Corps Veteran and in my opinion, he shouldn't have to lift his hand, but he loves to work every day. He does chores every day, building a garden, a new driveway, a new bathroom or some other task that most of us wouldn't know how to do, choose to do, or we'd pay someone else to do.

Dad needs the activity, the daily dose of hard work. Up early, oatmeal, denim jeans, work boots, chores; it's the Marine Corp without the bugle in the background. It's deep in his genes, work, afterall, he's the son of two Irish immigrants who came to America during the Great Depression.

According to Dad, his folks, well aware of what America was going through during the late 1930's, but still felt they were coming to a free circus as his Mom left County Mayo and his Dad left County Galway with nothing, but the hope of getting to the New Land. As for the Old Land, if you ever make to Ireland, head to the west coast, visit these two counties, Mayo and Galway and you'll have a true understanding of what these Irish folks are made of; Ireland is still Ireland in those counties and the people are some of the most resilient.

When I was in Dublin back in 2001, I met Irish folks and they'd ask me my name. I told them my first name and each time they said, "What?" Thinking the noise in the pub was too loud, I'd repeat my first name a fifth and sixth time...until I realized, it was my last name they wanted. I gave my last name and instantly the local would shake my hand and say, "That's a good name lad, now go to the west coast, get yourself home." My last name is of clan which took great pride in killing the English and although the fight is over, the Irish can still make a great fighter.

It's widely known that after the Irish had their own Great Depression in 1845, their Potato Famine, which killed one million and coined the phrase one million dead and one million fled...they fled to America. They came into America through three main ports, Boston, New York and New Orleans. When American had it's Civil War in 1861, Irish-Americans from the North fought the Irish from the South. That's a battle I'd rather not see, it must've been hell. I was perhaps the most successful wrestler in my school, for quite a while and the toughest matches I ever had were against some Irish kids, they were bloody and near violent.

My Dad has endured nine operations in his life, remnants of the Marine Corps. He was a teacher and owned a shop where he repaired cars for the town. He could fix anything and I learned a great deal from him. While he could afford to pay others to cut his lawn, wash his car, fix the chimney, repair the sink, he did it all by himself. The driveway we stand on is made of nearly ten thousand red bricks, we placed them there and I imagine the driveway will last another fifty years or so.

Men, firewood, shovels, wheel barrows and lemonade. Men being men. During the rise of women's equality, during their movement, I believe many men forgot how to be men. The nineties became a time of PC, everything became politically correct. My Dad is from a different generation of men who saved America, who used their hands and who appreciated the little things they could barely afford. My Dad tells me, "Growing up, we'd have a boiled egg for dinner. Yes and to make it very filling and tasty, we'd fill it with salt." Imagine that, I do, cause I hear about it all the time. "If my folks had money, we'd have liver, the organ people don't eat, eating liver was a real treat" he reminds me. Dad tells the same stories throughout the year, I enjoy them every time, especially the events of his childhood. He doesn't have much to say about his Father and I wonder about that, I keep meaning to ask my Dad why, but I suspect I already know.

Dad and I didn't speak for about half my childhood, it was for no other reason except this: we are identical, too much alike. You come to a point where you realize that it's not so bad being just like Dad, like him and he comes to a point where he's proud of you, even if you didn't become Commandant of the US Marine Corps and you begin speaking again, after years of silence.

"We've got to fix this country, before it's too late" he said while I stacked wood. "You see that tool in the barn? It's stamped 'W.P.A.', that shovel is from the 1930's, the Works Progress Act. Yup. Picked it up at a garage sale, the person selling it had no idea what W.P.A. meant. It was part of the New Deal, Roosevelt's plan to get men working again. While some executives jumped out of buildings during the Great Depression, others stood on the streets selling pencils and others grabbed tools to go build something, to work" he ended.

While we were in the barn, he showed me what has to be some type of IBM computer. I laughed as it resembled the first generation laptop. Dad picked that up at a garage sale years ago.

My heart didn't get the aerobic workout from the bike, but I managed a thorough sweat and must've completed a few thousand squats, lunges and arm curls. "A cord of wood is 4x4x8, or roughly 220 pieces" offered my Dad and we moved all of them with our hands. No gloves. No illegal immigrant workers to assist, just two Irishmen. During the stacking, the oil truck showed up and we chuckled, ninety gallons at $4.20 for the home. Yup, it's a lot easier to turn the thermostat up and burn the oil, but now more than ever, it's imperitive for men to get outside, cut their own lawns, fix their own cars, cut bills and do for themselves. Women can always join in, no doubt, but men need to rid themselves of the laziness, to be reminded of how their Dad's did it, how they provided and sweated, especially during tough times.

People fall down and when you do, it's the fear of failing that get's you up the fastest. Irish are stubborn, we hate losing, I am a sore loser and will never apologize for it. This economy is falling down, I don't care. It might knock me over, losing bonuses, commissions, income, maybe even employment. I don't care. I have two hands and the memory that I could not lose as a wrestler and why? I could not allow my defeat within the eyes of my Father. I hated him for years, but I wanted him to see achievement, success. America needs a New Deal, not a bailout, but a new roads, bridges, railways, ports, ships and a group of men and women who can look to the past and remind us of how to move forward.

Mom made liverwurst sandwiches for us, I laugh cause liver is still my Dad's favorite meal. Liver? Who eats that anymore? Dad does, he told me as a kid how good it was for you. I jumped in their pool and we talked about my car. I'm installing a new Bilstein HD suspension this weekend. I could afford to have someone else do it, but my hands and mind know how to do the job. I see mechanics today using latex gloves and I laugh, we're supposed to have filthy hands which feel like leather. We're supposed to remember where we came from, so we know where we're going.

Soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_RGNs8s6w

Viper
10-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Viper
10-01-2008, 03:28 PM

William
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
You need to do what I used to have to do to get Bostondrunk to read through my long posts...insert the word "beer" at regular intervals as an insentive....though "swimmin with bowl legged women" might work. or maybe the word "chum". Just a suggestion. ;)

William

csm
10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
what kind of car is getting the bilstein suspension this weekend?

Viper
10-01-2008, 03:36 PM
what kind of car is getting the bilstein suspension this weekend?

E39 5 Series. It will run with OEM Sport Springs with Bilstein HD struts/shocks.

I am using Sachs Sport struts/shocks from Bavauto and the struts blew out in less than 25K miles.

johnnymossville
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Sounds like dad gets it, and son has learned how. Dad succeeded. Great read Viper.

csm
10-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I've been looking for a rear swaybar to give me a bit more neutral handling. and a winter set of tires/wheels.

Viper
10-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I've been looking for a rear swaybar to give me a bit more neutral handling. and a winter set of tires/wheels.

I installed an M5 rear sway and it changed the feel of the car instantly. Great modification. I also installed powerflex control arm bushings, turned the steering wheel into a joystick.

www.tirerack.com for winter wheels/tires. PM me if you have a bimmer, I have several different series wheels and winter tires.

Bobbo
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Great post. I had no trouble reading every word. I love guys like your Dad (and mine). Sadly, men like this are slowly going the way of the dodo. It will probably take another Great Depression (or the like) to create another generation of them.

Jack Brunk
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Cool story and you should only hope that your half the stud that your dad is. You'll have to try harder. :) :beer:

jhcakilmer
10-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Great post Viper!

My father was a logger (acutally 3rd generation), and I started working in the woods at about 13, sold firewood every winter......instead of sleeping in on sundays, I was up early cutting and splitting firewood.....not always happy about it, mostly during those cold mornings of December and January.

Still heat with wood, nothing better IMO!

Manual labor gives me such satisfaction.......probably a mix of endorphins, and posterity, but I miss it!!

rwsaunders
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I have a Jarhead father (3 uncles, a grandfather and 2 cousins too) as well, and I say that in a complimentary way. Head down, full speed ahead at 76 yo....he doesn't know any other way. He spent 44 years in a steel mill and still works like he was 22 yo. I didn't appreciate what he did for a living until I had the opportunity to work in the same mill.

One of my greatest pleasures is seeing my Dad hang with our kids. It sounds like you're enjoying your time as well.

sc53
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey Viper, great read! I'm female and also enjoy hard work, even getting my hands dirty. Wish I had the skills you and my brother have, though, at carpentry, masonry, auto mechanics, bike mechanics, painting, woodwork etc etc. I am limited to weed pulling, spray painting porch furniture (and my mtb fork), and changing my own bike tires. We are Army brats with a General for a father. He too was of Irish descent, spent his whole life in and for the Army, and died in 2000 at 81 yrs of age. Out of curiosity--what is that last name that the Dubliners knew of so instantly, and knew it was from the west? My Dad was a Murphy on his mother's side, and French-Canadian on his father's. Made an interesting mix!

KeithS
10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for that, makes me want to be a better dad to my son. My dad was born in '32. Same era, same work ethic. Seven kids, worked hard all his life retired from his sales/sales management career and worked harder. Acted as his own general contractor on the log home he always wanted to build, started that project at age 65. Liked building, he started volunteering in his local Habitat for Humanity, did that for 10 years and at 75 decided to start farming again. Keeps him out of trouble. He and mom have had some health issues, but are living the life they want to live. Work is restorative. They are proof.

Speaking of wood, dad is heating his home with a wood furnace. They are dual fuel, 18 months on one tank of LP gas. He has enough wood to last through several Minnesota winters. I love splitting the wood with him. His hydraulic splitter is powered by the PTO on his tractor. I hope I have half the energy....

Ahneida Ride
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Semper Fi ! ;)

Viper
10-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Semper Fi ! ;)

1980. I was ten. Dad bought a 1970 Ford van and rebuilt every piece of it. This was the time when vans were converted into moving living rooms with carpeting and couches. He installed an aftermarket A/C system and painted it red. The five kids in the back, mom and dad up front, we cruised down to Florida the next three summers, from NY to FL to visist the grandparents. That first summer, we were lost in NC. Dad wanted to stay near the base, Camp Lejeune. Our A/C was broken in the van it was a million degrees inside, mom yelled at dad for dozens of miles.

We wound up in Jacksonville, NC, 2am, at the main gate for the base. Some MP's approached the van, walked around it while one stood at the driver's door asking my dad his, "Purpose" etc. Then one Marine noticed the 'Semper Fi' bumper sticker on the rear of the van. They chatted it up with dad while he provided his dog tags and ID. The MP's went back to gate and returned to the van, "You're staying here tonight sir, please follow us."

We followed their Jeep and stayed in Bachelor Office Quarters, on the ocean for two days.

It's about brotherhood, moments of their time, joined together, which lasts forever and the faith in knowing they did it right.

73Camaro_Dude
10-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Then you drink foo foo beer. Not to say there is anything wrong with it, but I liken it to Han Solo drinking bottled water. Viper, you are my man and I respect a good many things about you, and its clear where you got it. After reading this, I would swear you were going to put on camo, go down the street and help a stranger install glass packs on his vega and then wash it down with a Schlitz or a Busch beer.

Im not really sure why you went all introspective on us, I mean really... isn't there a Thompson Twins or a U2 video that could have done this just as succinctly?

But no man, its a nice nice read. You were brought about by a man that would actually try and do something when someone was getting mugged, or actually stop and pick up someone elses litter... that will tell someone in a restaurant to stop talking so loud and put down a phone. Nowadays... people just look the other way, and thus the offenses go unpunished.. and thus accepted.

Viper, send me your address. I want to buy your dad a new jean jacket and a pack of Marlboros.

You did right in going to help dad. I wish I lived closer to mine. I cherish the times my father and I get to do hard work. We had to cut and carry enough limbs after a ice storm to make a pile that was 60 feet long 8 feet wide and 6 feet high. Then we went inside and drank beer and shivered, in the shadows of candle and a lantern in the 42 degree house as we were still without power. We cherish the same collegiate football teams and he doesnt understand how I don't care so much about baseball. But then again, he knows nothing about cycling.

My friend. Your story and memories of this one day will last far longer in your mind than any mile you would have ridden. Thanks for the post. It feels like a Halmark moment.

Viper
10-02-2008, 11:19 PM
73Bitchin'CamaroDude - there was a soundtrack from the post, but this one goes out to all the kids growing up, trying to figure it all out,The Ritz 1981:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlHhd3VM_E

I was listening to that tune on my Panasonic one-speakered cassette aka 'box'. All I wanted was a boom box with two speakers and an EQ. I was ten years old, knew the song was about wanting tell parents and adults to go shag off. I didn't know that song was their first hit and I didn't know Bono Sr. gave his son 500 pounds to go to England and record the song.

I watched every single Western movie, War movie, the big boxing matches and some car races sitting next to Dad on the couch. I was so young I used to fall asleep.

I've never told my Dad I love him. I don't think he's said it to me. And I don't think we have to, or ever will. It doesn't need to be said.

Bono's Dad is in this elder fellow in the very beginning and throughout this video and I often wonder if the song, One, isn't written about his strained relationship with his Dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWPeVfWB9o

From father to son
In one life has begun
A work that's never done
From father to son
~Dirty Day by U2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIsFPZit-_M

Star Wars Clone Wars, pizza, Cartoon Network, Friday night, check your local listings.