PDA

View Full Version : OT Auto Racing: 24 hrs of LeMons

Louis
09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Now this (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/automobiles/28LEMONS.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1) sounds like fun to me.

Steve in SLO
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I did this last year at Altamont Speedway. I've been racing Porsches for years and this was more grin factor than anything I have ever raced. It really helps that the proprietor, Jay Lamm, is such a wit...makes it really great.

Steve in SLO
09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
For those who do not know, the Tour de LeMons is a car race built on the idea that any steaming pile of cr*p can hold together for 24 hours of racing. You can spend $500 max to buy your car, then add safety equipment. There are many gag "prizes" throughtout the race, none of which you'd want to win, and the least popular car (voted on by the drivers) gets destroyed by a backhoe halfway thru the race. Below are a few pics.
Our BMW before and after, and one of our next door neighbors in the pits. They actually had a big STOP sign that would swing out when they flashed their lights.

BumbleBeeDave
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I thought Louis was talking about that, uh, "other" race and just couldn't spell.

But THIS sounds like more fun, anyway! :D

BBD