PDA

View Full Version : Technician's Dream Career

Paul Levine
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Technician’s Dream Career

Signature Cycles, in Greenwich CT, a “by appointment only” business, providing a professional alternative to the traditional bike shop experience, is seeking a professional technician to meticulously assemble and maintain the best bicycles on the planet. This is a perfect career opportunity for a team mechanic.

Qualified applicants must:
• Have a passion for hanging bike eye candy on custom frames
• Have extensive experience in road and triathlon equipment
• Possess anal retentive organizational skills
• Love keeping a neat bench and clean tools
• Love dealing with the best bikes in the industry
• Have an entrepreneurial spirit and drive
• Love making dreams come true for our customers
• Never want to work on crap bikes again

Competitive wage and benefits based on experience, ability and negotiating skills.
Email resumes or inquires to paul@signaturecycles.com or call 203-485-0500.

fourflys
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM
If this were 5 years in the future and I was retired from the Coast Guard....I'd be all over this! My dream job is to mange/wrench in a bike shop when I grow up! ;)

Paul Levine
09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Mine too

shiftyfixedgear
09-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Having worked professionally in both extremes for many years, I much prefer real people with crappy bikes to crappy CEO-type folks with so-called "dream machine" bikes.

-dustin
09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Paul, do you have a sibling with the first name of Scott?

Paul Levine
10-01-2008, 04:46 AM
no sibling named Scott

William
10-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Best of luck in your search for a qualified candidate. Just curious, what constitutes a "crap bike" compared to "the best bicycles on the planet."?

William

Paul Levine
10-01-2008, 04:59 AM
I'll take the crap bikes, thank you . . .

Having worked professionally in both extremes for many years, I much prefer real people with crappy bikes to crappy CEO-type folks with so-called "dream machine" bikes.

I am not sure where you work, but we have mostly "real people" with "dream bikes" as clients. Even though we have seen our share of CEO-types come in with crappy bikes.

It is a shame that you categorize CEO-type people as "crappy".

Suffice to say I don't think you should apply for the job. We would be looking for someone with a more positive attitude towards all types people.

Paul Levine
10-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Best of luck in your search for a qualified candidate. Just curious, what constitutes a "crap bike" compared to "the best bicycles on the planet."?

Good question.
The best bicycles on the planet are:
• Accurately aligned to allow perfect chain line resulting in shifting that feels like butta
• Faced and chased allowing bearings to be perfectly seated and aligned resulting in smoother running and longer life
• Drop outs that are aligned so to have a front or rear wheel slip in to the drop out without having to squeeze or spread the fork or rear stays to install the wheel. Where no additional pre-load stress is placed on the frame.
• Seat tubes that are accurately reamed to allow a seat post to slide in with just enough friction to hold the weight of it and the saddle.
• Cable guides that are intelligently placed and aligned to create smooth cable action
• Paint finish that is worthy of the best custom cars in the world. Each frame should be hand polished at the factory
• Bikes that technicians can tune to perform like formula 1 race cars and handle all riding conditions with relative ease and safety

avalonracing
10-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Paul,
That was a VERY good answer that should satisfy anyone who loves well made bikes. I would definitely patronize a shop where people appreciate these kind of things instead of shops where they excited over the latest fancy decal scheme.

aLexis
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Paul, do you have a sibling with the first name of Scott?

Dustin,

Send Paul a resume and get out of the Metroplex!
He is a handsome and powerful man*, and has a
couple of sweet shops.

-Alexis

* ;) hi Paul

johnnymossville
10-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I often wondered if the complete joy I find building up, then maintaining my own bikes transfers to working on others' bikes. This does indeed sound like a dream job.

paczki
10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm really jealous of whoever gets this job!

dogdriver
10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
So where does one live in Grenwich or Manhattan on a wrench salary?

Pete Serotta
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Paul's Signature Cycle is the #1 selling SEROTTA dealer. Great place to work and lust.

Everyone of the folks I met and rode with at his Carmichael event were very nice and yes they were CEO types BUT most important is that they loved riding!!! :bike:

I have put a "sticky" on this for it is a member of the SEROTTA family of dealers. :) :cool:

Paul Levine
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Dustin,

couple of sweet shops.

-Alexis

* ;) hi Paul

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the "sucking up".
"I knew from the moment you walked in that you were a person to be reckoned with..."

Bruce K
10-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I wish I was qualified and lived closer.

But then again, it might cut into my cycling time.... :rolleyes:

BK

PS: Paul, your guy rode a GREAT race at Quad Cross Sunday. He's a nice guy to boot.

weiwentg
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I'll take the crap bikes, thank you . . .

I am not sure where you work, but we have mostly "real people" with "dream bikes" as clients. Even though we have seen our share of CEO-types come in with crappy bikes.

It is a shame that you categorize CEO-type people as "crappy".

Suffice to say I don't think you should apply for the job. We would be looking for someone with a more positive attitude towards all types people.

I appreciate the reasons for opening a high-end only shop, but it's still a shame you characterize some bikes as crappy. My girlfriend commutes on a low end bike. With the last line in your advertisement, I wonder if she would get proper service if she met you in your last shop.

Suffice it to say that when I look for mechanics, I'm looking for someone with a more positive attitude towards all types of riders.

deechee
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I think its easy to misconstrue words here and would like to say Paul has always made me feel extremely comfortable. I have only visited Paul for two fittings over the last four years and he has never turned down a phone call or email. I honestly do not believe he would ever turn away a bike - but honestly, how many of you WOULD bring in your 100$ wal-mart bike to him for a (wild guess - 100$ cleaning job? )

Secondly, how many of you have actually worked on a real pos? I'm talking rust bucket. Brown everywhere. Grime everywhere. The bolts are so rusted/seized you need to saw/grind them off. You use bolt cutters on the chain. The wheel is so misaligned and heavy, you have to put your full body weight to pull it out of the frame. You grunt to pick it up. The cables are frayed and poke you. The handlebars bend under your weight. The customer is a guy who lives on the street and smells like garbage in the store. These are the bikes I see at my LBS. Sure, street-guy can be fun but do you really want him as a customer or someone you know who can pay the bill? This is a classified. You're trying to entice people, not scare them away.

Paul Levine
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
"but it's still a shame you characterize some bikes as crappy."

"Suffice it to say that when I look for mechanics, I'm looking for someone with a more positive attitude towards all types of riders.

Okay, I'll play...I think it is ignorant to believe that all bikes are good and none are crappy. Would you say the same about cars, electronics, watches, audio equipment...any product? Yes, I believe some products are crappy and that includes bikes.

We do have a positive attitude towards all types of riders. We don't have a positive attitude towards all types of bikes. Especially crappy ones.

crashjames
10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
So where does one live in Grenwich or Manhattan on a wrench salary?

Not in a nice part of either, most likely.

Pete Serotta
10-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I have met all the fine folks at the Greenwich shop and they treat ALL customers (no matter what bike they are on) with respect and first class service.

Years ago, when I worked in a bike store WE all hated working on the "crap" for they took longer to repair and never worked as well , as non "crap" even after much TLC,

Okay, I'll play...I think it is ignorant to believe that all bikes are good and none are crappy. Would you say the same about cars, electronics, watches, audio equipment...any product? Yes, I believe some products are crappy and that includes bikes.

We do have a positive attitude towards all types of riders. We don't have a positive attitude towards all types of bikes. Especially crappy ones.

derosa_guy
10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
...it was when I was in college in Virginia. The guy stored his Huffy in his chicken coup. It was covered in chicken crap. I'm not joking. :crap:

-dustin
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Dustin,

couple of sweet shops.

-Alexis

* ;) hi Paul
I've recently been admiring Signature. Coworker visited the Manhattan shop recently, and was apparently shown around by someone that used to work at BSS. From my point of view, that is exactly the type of shop I'd like to find myself at.

And to complete the circle, I've got a customer that flies in from NYC whose last name is Levine...he rides a bright green Meivici.