PDA

View Full Version : Study: Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis

Louis
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Story here (http://www.reuters.com/article/email/idUSTRE48S82820080929)

thwart
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
"... said they had trouble interpreting their results because patients who took placebos had a smaller loss of cartilage than they should have."

Gotta find some of this "placebos" stuff. Sounds like a miracle drug. Minimal side effects, too...

;) :D

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Eat Bacon, Drink Liquor and Smoke Dope. Just learn to speak spanish.

Bob Ross
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
>>Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis<<

Do people actually take Glucosamine and Chondroitin to slow arthritis, or do they take Glucosamine and chondroitin to stem the pain of cartilage loss...which may or may not be related to arthritis?

I hear a tree falling...

flickwet
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
>>Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis<<

Do people actually take Glucosamine and Chondroitin to slow arthritis, or do they take Glucosamine and chondroitin to stem the pain of cartilage loss...which may or may not be related to arthritis?

I hear a tree falling...
I take simple old glucosamine, not expensive seems harmless, maybe some benefit, anybody KNOW about this stuff?

Avispa
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I like when I see an article like that!

The heading stating, like a full blown horn:

"Glucosamine and chondroitin don't slow arthritis"

Then somewhere in the body....

"But the researchers said some of their findings were confusing and said more study was needed."

Conclusion: it worked for some and it didn't for others! Right? Wrong? BTW, are any of the pharma companies behind this "study"?

As our Steve would say.... Just Sayin'

..A..

WadePatton
09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
As I unnerstand it, arthritis is the result of inflammation in the body caused in large part by diet. (stated in almost those words weekly by Dr. Asa Andrew) Therefore, I would never have assumed that cartilage "treatment" would have any effect.

"Placebo effect" reveals the power of the mind. Dr. Andrew Weil.

As for "studies" and media, I cannot recommend The China Study Campbell/Campbell highly enough. It covers the causes of the total confusion that exists about health and nutrition these days. It also covers how to be healthier-simply by choosing wisely what one eats.

Blurb from TCS site: The China Study gives critical, life-saving nutritional information for every health-seeker in America. But, it is much more; Dr. Campbell’s exposé of the research and medical establishment makes this book a fascinating read and one that could change the future for all of us. Every health care provider and researcher in the world must read it.

emphasis added.

Personally experiencing better health and reduced body fat and clarity on nutritional issues. Credit- The China Study and The 80/10/10 Diet, Graham-and a healthy personal interest in nutrition and health.

cadence90
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know about human beans, but I know for certain it helps my dogs. I can see remarkable improvement within a couple of days.

onekgguy
10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I use it. Usually the first thing I used to notice in the morning when I'd swing my legs around to get out of bed was the soreness in my knees. A couple days after taking the combination of Glucosamine/Chondroitin I woke up to virtually no pain whatsoever. It doesn't keep me from cycling pain free but I have no doubt that it helps some.

I'm not sure what it does; if it's masking a pain, reducing swelling, increasing synovial fluid or cartilage in the joint. Don't criticize it until you've tried it would be my only advice.

Kevin g

EDS
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
As I unnerstand it, arthritis is the result of inflammation in the body caused in large part by diet. (stated in almost those words weekly by Dr. Asa Andrew) Therefore, I would never have assumed that cartilage "treatment" would have any effect.

"Placebo effect" reveals the power of the mind. Dr. Andrew Weil.

As for "studies" and media, I cannot recommend The China Study Campbell/Campbell highly enough. It covers the causes of the total confusion that exists about health and nutrition these days. It also covers how to be healthier-simply by choosing wisely what one eats.

Blurb from TCS site:
emphasis added.

Personally experiencing better health and reduced body fat and clarity on nutritional issues. Credit- The China Study and The 80/10/10 Diet, Graham-and a healthy personal interest in nutrition and health.

Diet may impact arthritis, but it is not usually the leading cause.

WadePatton
10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Diet may impact arthritis, but it is not usually the leading cause.
It always impacts arthritis according to Dr. Andrew. He always "prescribes" an anti-inflammatory DIET to callers and they generally always show improvement. He also attributes 80% of every condition being treated today to lifestyle and diet. I agree with that, but I don't follow his methodology of remediation. My approach is much simpler and works for me.

And to the OP-just because G/C doesn't meet the study criteria for helping arthritis does not mean that it doesn't help folks who have joint pain. Part of the problem with our scientific method is that it addresses one singular aspect of anything by design. There are extremely few instances of anything working in any application without a myriad of variables-especially where the human body is concerned.

Diet* is extremely powerful "medicine" and should not be underestimated, ever atmo.

*And by "diet" I don't mean some temporary eating program, I mean a lifestyle of eating for nutrition and health as opposed to convenience and filling a void- which I found quite easy to understand and implement after reading the referenced materials in my first post.

MarcusPless
10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't know about human beans, but I know for certain it helps my dogs. I can see remarkable improvement within a couple of days.

I've heard this from a couple of dog owning MD friends. These guys tend to write off a lot of the popular over the counter treatments as little better than snake oil, but they both noticed significant improvements when they gave glucosamine to their dogs.

--Marcus

EDS
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
It always impacts arthritis according to Dr. Andrew. He always "prescribes" an anti-inflammatory DIET to callers and they generally always show improvement. He also attributes 80% of every condition being treated today to lifestyle and diet. I agree with that, but I don't follow his methodology of remediation. My approach is much simpler and works for me.

And to the OP-just because G/C doesn't meet the study criteria for helping arthritis does not mean that it doesn't help folks who have joint pain. Part of the problem with our scientific method is that it addresses one singular aspect of anything by design. There are extremely few instances of anything working in any application without a myriad of variables-especially where the human body is concerned.

Diet* is extremely powerful "medicine" and should not be underestimated, ever atmo.

*And by "diet" I don't mean some temporary eating program, I mean a lifestyle of eating for nutrition and health as opposed to convenience and filling a void- which I found quite easy to understand and implement after reading the referenced materials in my first post.

I don't know who Dr. Andrew is, but none of the "diets" worked for me in terms of helping my arthritis, and I eat very healthy to begin with.

cadence90
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I've heard this from a couple of dog owning MD friends. These guys tend to write off a lot of the popular over the counter treatments as little better than snake oil, but they both noticed significant improvements when they gave glucosamine to their dogs.

--Marcus
Mine have definitely, visibly improved, in terms of mobility, energy, stamina. It really works for them.

I don't have arthritis or cartilage issues, so I've never tried it. But when I'm reincarnated as a dog, I hope my owner gives me some when my hips ache.

ss-jimbo
10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
It always impacts arthritis according to Dr. Andrew. He always "prescribes" an anti-inflammatory DIET to callers and they generally always show improvement.

Not that I disagree with diet being the most important factor in overall health, but, as a stats instructor at our local CC, I love statements like "generally always."

WadePatton
10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't know who Dr. Andrew is, but none of the "diets" worked for me in terms of helping my arthritis, and I eat very healthy to begin with.
ah, that is the catch. The notions of "healthy" eating we have are quite diverse and often just a touch from really nutritional/beneficial.

Dr. Asa Andrew--ask your friends at google to help you with that one. ;)

No hard feelings and best of luck with your arthritis, I'm just trying to help with the knowledge that I've acquired so far. There's always more to come. :beer:

WadePatton
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Not that I disagree with diet being the most important factor in overall health, but, as a stats instructor at our local CC, I love statements like "generally always."
How to Lie With Statistics, 1954 should be required reading you know.

I didn't dare overstate my case. :no: :banana: ;)