PDA

View Full Version : Interesting to watch

fourflys
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
So, I was going through some boxes in my garage of some old video tapes and found a recording of the '91 Tour. It's really interesting to see all the pre-carbon bikes and also the fashions. As this recording was homemade before DVRs, it's also pretty interesting to see all the commercials. I will say that Phil Liggett looks MUCH younger! Also, the coverage we have now is SO much better. You may not be a Bob Roll fan, but he is infinitly more interesting than Sam Posey! BTW- This was the year after Lemond's final win and it turned out to be his final Tour, he is definitly the featured rider. He actually was pretty willing to do a lot of PR stuff for ABC, a bit different tack than Lance took...

Anyway, it's kinda fun to watch (BTW- I recorded this while a junior in HS!)

Chris

Flat Out
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
First, what's videotape? ;)

Second, Sam Posey may not know cycling be he is a great auto racing announcer. Speed still has him do the opens for all the F1 races but he suffers from Parkinson's so his announcing duties are too few and far between.

So, how much coverege did ABC do that year?

fourflys
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
You're right on about Sam Posey being a great auto announcer, I'm from Indiana and he did/does the 500 for as long as I can remember!

As far as coverage, ABC did a recap of each week on the weekend following with same day coverage of that days stage. Not as good as we have now, but not horrible either.

johnnymossville
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
The coverage was so "theatrical" back then. Soaring Yanni style (tesh I guess) music with flash over substance voice over. Over produced. It always seemed like you were watching a commercial. Like at any moment a cyclist would come up, chroma-keyed over the footage with a giant bottle of deodorant in his hand.