PDA

View Full Version : way OT, but need advice!

jhcakilmer
09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I've never done this before, and not sure if I should, but can't really talk to anyone else.....or anyone that really knows me.

A few month ago a new physician moved to my town/city, and and took over a director position at a local hospital. Kind of a family friend, goes to the same church, etc.....our families spend quite a bit of time together.....similar interest, similar friends, kids same age, etc.....you get the gist.

Now the problem.....his wife. My wife and her get along well, she seems like a great mom, etc......but she's a little too friendly with me. Lately, I've been just avoiding her, but even during greetings I've noticed (or actually my wife noticed) that the husband seems to be overly attentive.....if you know what I mean.

Last week at church, I was walking by with my son, and just stopped to say "hi" she put her hand on my shoulder (I did not reciprocate, and actually picked something off the floor, so to distance myself) .....and after I left I got the "stink" eye (from the husband), as I was walking away.....or atleast that's how it seemed.

Here are the complicating factors......she is brazilian, and is very affectionate (ie hugs, etc with most people...so we've past it off as being cultural....which maybe true...), he is 57 and she's my age 32, etc...I'm not interested in the husbands specialty area, but might like to do my residency in another department, at the same hospital......I hope you see the potential issue....she's also a nurse in the specialty that I'm interested in, thought not currently working, and not even sure if she would work at the same hospital.

My wife just says to be cautious, and stay away...and she usually gives me great advice, but just wanted some other oppininos.

I'm almost a physician, and the last thing I need is something that possible could hold me back, and I also really don't need anymore drama in my life either......attending medical school, while having a family is enough, thank you!

I'm usually a person that likes to bring things out, and talk about it....so to clear the air.....but, if he's as insecure about this as I'm "assuming" then that could only make things worse.

So I guess I just keep avoiding, and hope for the best.......what do you guys think?

Blue Jays
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Ensure all interactions with both of these individuals are in public areas and not behind closed doors.

Lifelover
09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Keep you mouth shut and and your pants on and you will be fine.

rwsaunders
09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Take the advice of a wise old manager that I once had..."Don't crap where you eat".

johnnymossville
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm leaning towards it being just the way she is. There may be some cultural element to it, and yeah, the husband IS being protective.

I'd just act like everything is normal and not make an issue out of it until something really obvious happens. When it does, follow the above advice of keeping your pants on.

jhcakilmer
09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like you have a lot of confidence in me.

I'm very happily married, hottie of a wife, never been a "grass is greener" kind of guy, etc.... and like I said I'm really not into the drama....

Blue Jays
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
"...Thanks guys..."Best wishes!