PDA

View Full Version : vittorias vs. michelin

vqdriver
09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
any opinions/comparisons on open corsas versus pro race tires?
i've only been on the open corsas for a couple months after going years on continental tires only. (i just love their flat resistance)
the pro race seem to be all the rage right now and am curious as to how they compare to the vittorias.

Elefantino
09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Having used all three, I'm curious as to why you are (if you are) leaving Continentals.

dekindy
09-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Having used all three, I'm curious as to why you are (if you are) leaving Continentals.

I have started riding the OC Pave CG because I am looking for a smoother ride and better cornering and a slightly wider tire and the characteristics of tubular which this tire is supposed to have. The verdict is still out. I have been asking myself the same question since the 3000/4000/4000S have all been virtually flat-free and durable for me even at 200 lbs. I don't have enough miles on the Vittoria's yet to render an opinion. One of my riding buddies noticed my green sidewalls and I found out he is riding the OC Corsa but I cannot remember for certain the exact model. It may be the KS or KX. He likes them a lot and he is heavier than I am.

vqdriver
09-29-2008, 09:38 PM

mostly hype i guess. the open corsas are supposed to be buttery smooth per all the 'experts.' i've also moved on to less urban, more bike friendly routes, so less debris to avoid.

bironi
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I like the Vittorias for summer use, and try to avoid debris strewn roads. I have used the Pro Race 2 thru winter with good results. I have not tried the Pro Race 3's yet. I understand they had some quality control issues, and re-fomulated for a trouble free run recently.

bnewt07
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Vittoria OC's definitely feel softer and more comfy but I found they lasted no time, lots of cuts. I also thought they were dodgy in the wet and somehow seemed very pressure sensitive in terms of grip. I just never felt confident with them. I only use them on my spare turbo trainer wheel now!

Michelins for me, Pro-Race 2's ride well, last well and I even keep them on one of my bikes in the winter. Not tried any of the PR3's yet.

paczki
09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Get some Conti tubulars. You will be happy. :banana:

sloji
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I've had three times as many flats on the pro race 3's, more cuts, but they ride like a dream. Can't say i'd continue using them at this point...a bit costly.The prorace2's were not as smooth but were durable.

cmg
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
didn't get much mileage out of the vittorias, went back to conti 4000s. the set of michelins seem to need to be warmed up before they'll stop making rolling noises. seem to be real sticky when cold. waiting on a light set of Vittoria Diamante Prolight tires, should be lighter than the conti 4000 black chilli. seeing if i can tell the difference.

vqdriver
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
does michelin make them in size 25?

jthurow
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
does michelin make them in size 25?They did make the ProRace2 in 25 and will make the ProRace3 in 25 but they haven't yet... at least I haven't seen any anywhere.

jimi

Pete Serotta
09-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Victoria OC are the best (non tubular) tires that I have ridden. Yes they do not last more than about 1300 miles on the rear but the ride is first class for my butt.

My next favorite is the new Conti 4000s, then Michelin pro race 3 and then the 2s.... Their is no science here just my feelings ;)

Johny
09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
No more Vittoria (smooth but fragile) and Michelin (try both Pro and Pro2 but still flat more than I like) clinchers for me. I hate flats. I rather spend time riding than fixing flats.

Conti sucks too: side wall blowups...but no flat. I am getting 4000 Chili's which seem to have better side walls.

Pete Serotta
09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Johnny, the sidewalls with Chile are much tougher (I road them at ride the rockies on a 14 mile dirt section.... (after the Victoria got a slice).

Conti was the booth next to SEROTTA so I a quick source.

also send me a private email address I got some pictures of your lovely wife and children from the RAMBLE> PETE

No more Vittoria (smooth but fragile) and Michelin (try both Pro and Pro2 but still flat more than I like) clinchers for me. I hate flats. I rather spend time riding and fixing flats.

Conti sucks too: side wall blowups...but no flat. I am getting 4000 Chili's which seem to have better side walls.