PDA

View Full Version : Saddle rails creaking

sevencyclist
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I have a Brooks Swift saddle that I have ridden for about 200 miles offroad. Recently it started to squeak with my pedaling action. I have played around with saddle tension and it does not seem to change the noise.

Finally I loosened the seatpost (Easton EC70) clamp on the saddle rails, and that seems to stop the creaking but the saddle shifted out of position. My question is that if I tighten instead of loosening the seatpost clamp, would that stop the creaking as well? I am concerned whether overtightening the saddle rail clamp would cause problem. (to the seatpost clamp or the bolt) Or should I just tightening it as much as I can without worries.

Related question, does anyone know where is a good place to find a torque wrench for measuring? All these carbon bars requires a certain pressure, and I am concerned about overtightening. None of the bike shops around me (Palo Alto) have them for sale. Thanks.

Kevan
11-03-2004, 04:02 PM
apply grease where the clamp meets the rail, others use electric tape. Still others clamp down ever harder and firmer. It would take a lot of torque to damage a rail, but know there are these other options too.

Sandy
11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
I wish I could stop creaking. Help me out buddy! ;)

Sandy

Kevan
11-04-2004, 07:09 AM
See what I have to deal with?

Sandy, at your age, you're supposed to creak. Haaaa..ha..ha..haaa.ha.ha.ha! :D :D :D

TimD
11-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Try cleaning the rails and the clamp grooves, then greasing both.

Others have suggested boiled linseed oil. I haven't tried that.

TimD

sevencyclist
11-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Looks like greasing is the way to go. I will do that and report back. Thanks for your help.

Benjamin
11-04-2004, 02:01 PM
FWIW, i have an EC70 post on my CSi and have found it to be pretty creaky if i don't regularly lubed and tighten the saddle clamp.

hooverone
11-04-2004, 03:44 PM
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=549037476709&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Hand%20Tools&tc=Torque%20Wrenches&item_id=PA-TW2

torque wrench link

Jim

sevencyclist
11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks Hooverone. I have been looking for one all over my neighborhood and no one had them.

Looks like most of the torque for bike bolts ranges between 20-300, so does that mean I need to get both of the Park tools? The same website sells the KD wrenches that measures between 30-200 in/lb. Would one of those be the same (cost more though)? Thanks.

hooverone
11-05-2004, 10:42 PM
The wrench at below link goes from 0-600 inch pounds. The below link at park list the specifics.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=549037476709&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Hand%20Tools&tc=Torque%20Wrenches&item_id=PA-TW2

http://www.parktool.com/tools/TW_2.shtml

sevencyclist
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
I lubed the saddle rails and the bolt, and the saddle rails stopped creaking. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Hooverone on info for torque wrench. I think the Park TW2 should be fine for most of the cycling application. I was not sure how to do the fine pressure between 20-50 for the shifters and brake lever on the handlebars, but I guess what I will do is just to make sure that they do not slip and the pressure does not exceed the limit.