PDA

View Full Version : missing aero carbon: edge, lew, reynolds?

jimcav
09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
anyone have experience with all? jack? anyone--I am hopeful about a warranty from topolino on my cracked v39 rim, but as this is the 2nd time, even if i get them fixed, i anticipate I can't really ride routinely as i was doing. so am looking at options previously recommended to me. the reynolds dvt46 or 66 seems the best pricepoint, but lew pro rims over dt swiss hubs would not be much more.

I like riding aero carbon, and do realize it may not make sense to ride them, but it is what i want to do. i weigh 170 on my weigh to low 160's and my route has normal bumps and road seems, but no potholes or such to worry about.

thanks
jim

znfdl
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I am not sure about other aero wheels, but the crash replacement insurance at Reynolds is second to none. In order for them to make money on the insurance, they must have a lot of faith in their wheels.

My $.02

Jack Brunk
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Jim,

Your choice of the Reynolds DV46's is probably the best all around choice. I really like mine and wouldn't hesitate to but another pair. The lews pro build is an excellent as well. My only concern would be Lew's warranty status as their not getting good press on the Weighweenie forum. Yes you should be able to use aero rims whenever you want too. Go for the Reynolds.

jimcav
09-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Jim,

Your choice of the Reynolds DV46's is probably the best all around choice. I really like mine and wouldn't hesitate to but another pair. The lews pro build is an excellent as well. My only concern would be Lew's warranty status as their not getting good press on the Weighweenie forum. Yes you should be able to use aero rims whenever you want too. Go for the Reynolds.

I am looking at lew rims on more reasonable hubs, so the price may not be crazy. It is really hard to beat reynolds on price--i've seen retail as low as 1389, ebay at 1200, and used for 800.

thanks
jim

paczki
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I just bought an Edge/Tune wheelset and it's rather nice! :banana:

wasfast
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I am looking at lew rims on more reasonable hubs, so the price may not be crazy. It is really hard to beat reynolds on price--i've seen retail as low as 1389, ebay at 1200, and used for 800.

thanks
jim

There is a thread on Weight Weenies that implied that Lew was having some financial issues. They also didn't show at Interbike.

Personally, I'd go for the Edge rims.

jimcav
09-29-2008, 09:14 PM
i did not see anything except 1.38 in stock at fairwheel and they are several hundred more than either the lew or reynolds i am looking at.
here is my current dilemna:
1) new reynolds dv46t (ebay)
2) new reynolds sdv66t for $300 more (local shop)
3) or for the same price as #2 LEW pro vt-1 rims built on dt340 hubs, or for $300 more onto dt240s (both sapim cx-ray)

what do you think?

thanks
jim

sbornia
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Have you seen these?

http://www.ligerowheels.com/wheels/wheels.html

tuscanyswe
09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Ive never tried edge. If i was buying carbon aeros i would prolly try them.
From what ive heard ppl seem very pleased. And every1 has zipp and reynolds so its abit more fun.

Jack Brunk
09-29-2008, 10:42 PM
i did not see anything except 1.38 in stock at fairwheel and they are several hundred more than either the lew or reynolds i am looking at.
here is my current dilemna:
1) new reynolds dv46t (ebay)
2) new reynolds sdv66t for $300 more (local shop)
3) or for the same price as #2 LEW pro vt-1 rims built on dt340 hubs, or for $300 more onto dt240s (both sapim cx-ray)

what do you think?

thanks
jim
Jimbo,
I have a set of Lews from the guy who sells them in Socal. So far they've been bullit proof and I'm leaning toward using them this weekend at the Furnace Creek 508. I have a new set of the Edge 38 tubulars that I just received from Ergott wheels and they ride differently than the Lew's. Either set would make you a happy camper so get the set that will give you instant pleasure. They're both excellent wheels for sure. Let me know if you want to try a set. I can always be bribed for a trip to San Diego for WORK.

cadence90
09-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Have you seen these?

http://www.ligerowheels.com/wheels/wheels.html
Who manufactures that Ligero SLW Hubset?

The specs look pretty good.

sbornia
09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Who manufactures that Ligero SLW Hubset?

The specs look pretty good.

I think that Troy (Ligero) and Jeremy (Alchemy) have been collaborating on their own hub development. If I understand correctly, the front hub is 100% original and the rear hub currently uses internal parts from White Industries with a custom shell...but a completely original rear hub is in the works?? I'm sure that Troy, Jeremy, or even our Ergott could clarify the details.

stuckey
09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I am looking at lew rims on more reasonable hubs, so the price may not be crazy.

Do not go near Lew right now... There website is down, they own a bunch of people a lot of rims, they will not respond to anyone, they fall short on warranty claims/do not respond, they did not go to Interbike even though they are in Vegas to hide from pissed off customers, and finally they do not recommend destressing there wheels when building. Check out Weight Weenies and search "Lew" for more info there is not much love for them over there.

jbrainin
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Warning noted.

FWIW, the Lew website is currently functional and accepting orders if one still is so inclined.

cadence90
09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I think that Troy (Ligero) and Jeremy (Alchemy) have been collaborating on their own hub development. If I understand correctly, the front hub is 100% original and the rear hub currently uses internal parts from White Industries with a custom shell...but a completely original rear hub is in the works?? I'm sure that Troy, Jeremy, or even our Ergott could clarify the details.
Thanks.
But who does the actual milling, etc.?
Troy, Jeremy (my brother just got a set of his wheels the other day and loves them), and Eric don't have set-ups to do that do they?
Does White do it?

The hubs definitely look very elegant.

sbornia
09-30-2008, 12:45 AM

Some info may be here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47441

cadence90
09-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Some info may be here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47441
Thanks.
Interesting thread.

I jump shipped on WW a few years ago, but every once in awhile there is a good thread there.

Dave B
09-30-2008, 04:08 AM
You cats know more about wheels then I do, but this seems kind of spooky. Granted I am not sure if it totally relates to the road, but watch and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSCtEQ_uRrI

Ligero
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks.
Troy, Jeremy (my brother just got a set of his wheels the other day and loves them), and Eric don't have set-ups to do that do they?
Does White do it?

The hubs definitely look very elegant.

The hubs are made by both White Industries and Wheels Manufacturing for me. Jeremy does have a small machine shop and can make prototypes but does not have the capacity to do production work.

znfdl
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Just an FYI, here is a rveiew of Ligero's aluminum wheels after RAAM last year.

I brought 3 sets of wheels to be used in RAAM which included; DT Swiss 1450, Reynolds Clincher DV46 and Troy Watson’s Ligero wheels. I started with the Ligero wheels as I would be climbing during the first leg of RAAM. I liked these wheels so much that these wheels were on my bike for the entire ride.

The wheel set weighed in as a svelte 1370 grams. For a 160lb rider I was little skeptical as the front wheel has 20 Sapim cx-ray spokes, while the rear wheel has 24 Sapim cx-ray spokes.

The modifications that Troy has made to the front and rear hub has made a substantial different in the feel and the handling of low spoke count wheels. The widening of the front hub flanges and wider spacing of the bearings has created a very laterally stiff wheel for 20 spokes. The front wheel handled flawlessly in 20 mph cross winds and was incredibly stable at 52 mph on a downhill.

The rear wheel is a very different configuration, as the wheel has 16 drive side spokes and 8 non-drive side spokes. The real wheel took some abuse as I pedaled across the country, as many roads were less than perfect. The wheel is still as true as when it was brand new. The low spoke count and rim weight allowed for quick accelerations and are an excellent climbing wheel. I noticed the greatest difference in the rear wheel when powering over the rollers in the Midwest.

As a side note, the Phil Wood specified bearings rolled incredibly smooth.

For my riding style, these are the best set of wheels I have ever owned period. Troy thanks for a tremendous product.

Z3c
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I would really suggest you give Edge a look before making a final selection. I have been riding their wheels for about a year and they have been flawless for me. Granted a lot of that has to do with build quality, but the ride is great, the braking is consistent and they seem quick. My LBS wheel builder says they are the best carbon rim he has worked with by far.. They are now offering built sets based on DT hubs or you can order rims and go from there.
38 and 68mm rims are avail as clinchers. Their new 24mm rim is getting accolades for being faster than it seems like it should, very strong and building into sub 900 gram wheelsets pretty easily.

Thanks,

Scott

bigdeal
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
let me know if you'd consider a set of DV46 clinchers with a power tap pro, I am selling a set for 1300 shipped.

jimcav
10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
let me know if you'd consider a set of DV46 clinchers with a power tap pro, I am selling a set for 1300 shipped.

or i'd seriously consider that--are they campy?

jim

Charles M
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I would love anything from Zipp, Edge or Reynolds honestly...

Zipp has a lot of backing and history and make a far better wheel now than they did a few years ago. The new Hubs are really nice and the rim it's self is very good.

I also have a FAT grin, ear to ear when I ride a set of Ligero built EDGE 38's on DT 240 hubs. They're very good and the Ligero price is very good. I have also been on the Ligero hub on a set of clinchers and that was, regarless of the fact they were inexpensive (relative) a really good wheel as well. The Hubs are a very good design.

I hope to spend more time on Reynolds newer products but the old ones were very good as well.

I would not consider buying Lew.

I have yet to meet anyone first hand that has been satisfied long term and have heard that they are telling people "go to your credit card company for resolution" on money they took without delivering... Not sure of the validity but spoke first hand to at least one builder that said that. I also know a couple that won't build with their product...

lew thread at WW (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48057)

cadence90
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
The hubs are made by both White Industries and Wheels Manufacturing for me. Jeremy does have a small machine shop and can make prototypes but does not have the capacity to do production work.
For me, as an owner of 6 or 7-year old bomb-proof W. I./Sapim CX-Ray/Velocity wheels, the W. I. involvement is a huge plus. Congrats on the hubs and the new website. Nice work!

bigdeal
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
or i'd seriously consider that--are they campy?

jim

They're Shimano.