PDA

View Full Version : Which cell phone do you carry?

T-Crush
09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
So I've decided to start carrying a cell phone on my rides. My current instrument (a Blackberry Pearl) is just about toast and I'm looking for some guidance from the crowd on which phones work well and which don't when it comes to surviving in your jersey pocket. Thanks!

Blue Jays
09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
No matter what, the telephone should first be slid into a ziploc plastic sandwich bag before being inserted into a jersey pocket.

Nil Else
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
speaking of cell phones in cycling.. I wonder if Weight Weenies have a cell phone weight comparison chart... :rolleyes:

Ray
09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
So I've decided to start carrying a cell phone on my rides. My current instrument (a Blackberry Pearl) is just about toast and I'm looking for some guidance from the crowd on which phones work well and which don't when it comes to surviving in your jersey pocket. Thanks!
Uhh, a Blackberry Pearl. Does this help? I've only had it about six months or so. I have a little holder that I slip the phone, cash, and any other critical little doodads in. Never had a problem with this or any of the other phones I've carried before from really light little plastic Samsungs to a Motorola Razr (which felt really indestructible). Just get one that's small enough, light enough, and with the features you want and don't worry about how it will do in your jersey pocket. Most of 'em are pretty tough.

-Ray

tuscanyswe
09-29-2008, 01:58 PM
You cant beat an old Nokia 5140i when it comes to durability in all weathers.

It just wont give u trouble no matter what you put it through. Ive dropped it once a week for a year or so. It laughs at rain etc!

Its also got ptt (push to talk) very usefull if you need to stay in contact with your disspatch and fellow riders :D

Its got no fancy gadgets (that wont work)! Its got a microphone and speaker (what more do u need?) its cheap and not heavy! Its the best for cycling!

I think Nokias headsets are the best aswell, Good sound quality and not alot of wind noise.

regularguy412
09-29-2008, 02:04 PM
No matter what, the telephone should first be slid into a ziploc plastic sandwich bag before being inserted into a jersey pocket.

+1

Mine always goes in a zip loc baggie. I sweat enough on most rides to ruin any phone. The issue with phones being affected by heavy rain almost goes without saying.

I've had good luck with Nokia phones holding up under even more than 'normal' abuse. I've personally seen other brands (Samsung, Motorola) stop working just because they were dropped.................once................ from waist level. Now I'm sure some Nokia owners have had a similar experience, but I've owned three Nokias over the years and all have proven to be very resilient. Additionally, the battery in my very simple Nokia seems to maintain a reasonable charge for about a week. Granted, I don't talk a lot on it, but a week between charges is both handy and convenient, since I don't have to worry about whether I've charged it before going on a ride.

Mike in AR:beer:

mobile homeless
09-29-2008, 02:20 PM
No matter what, the telephone should first be slid into a Ziploc plastic sandwich bag before being inserted into a jersey pocket.Exactly. I ride on the NC coast on an island where it can get hotter than Hades under a heat lamp with the added horror of enough humidity to reduce you to a glorified Sweat Machine in a handful of minutes, turning all attire into ClothLake Resort. I have to wipe my bike down for fear of rust, as your sweat attempts to melt through thy thin-as-cellophane Italian paint job.

In other words, without a Ziploc baggy of choice in these conditions, it wouldn't be long before said phone would be an object of bad pop art, no matter WHAT the model. Of course, getting it out of the swine bag while at speed is always a treat...

If getting a new phone, unless you have a replacement plan (perhaps a good idea, too), it's risky to take the Rain/Sweatloaf test.

http://i-vol.com/bikes/pro_phone.jpg

kh

Bruce K
09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Absolutely put it in the baggy.

If that little dot inside turns red (the moisture indicator), your warranty is toast no matter what else happens.

BK

deechee
09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
just take the sim out of your blackberry and plug it into some cheapo 20$ phone. throw in ziploc and you're set. Usually my bags end up with holes thanks to my keys and I can use the phone while its still in the bag...

KeithS
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
you have service from the Simless - Sprint.

fourflys
09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I actually bought one of those bento box type of bags that mounts on your top tube and carry my phone and garage door opener in that, seems to work pretty good. Motorola Razor BTW, pretty indestructable...

Ray
09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I actually bought one of those bento box type of bags that mounts on your top tube and carry my phone and garage door opener in that, seems to work pretty good. Motorola Razor BTW, pretty indestructable...
Quick diversion - you can get a little keypad to mount on the frame of your garage door that opens the door with the right combination. So you don't have to carry your opener when you're not in your car.

-Ray

fourflys
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Quick diversion - you can get a little keypad to mount on the frame of your garage door that opens the door with the right combination. So you don't have to carry your opener when you're not in your car.

-Ray
Thanks,
The house is a rental, besides the opener is pretty small.

Cdub
09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Moto Q in a zip loc baggy.

SoCalSteve
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
iPhone, no ziplock baggie. I have a rubberized case for it that I use when I ride and it has a clear protector over the whole phone as well (like a phone condom)..but not ribbed.

Just sayin'

Steve

Ti Designs
09-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I like the 1950's ATT 500 series rotary dial phone with a long cord. I know when it rings, never drops a signal and helps me find my way home.

jemoryl
09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
My bike remains a cellphone free zone. Who would come to help me anyway?

r_mutt
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
the iphone can help when you get lost with it's maps software.

it's a no brainer!

chuckroast
09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
My current personal phone is a Rumor from LG, seems pretty durable. I've dropped it a couple of times and no damage. Plus I crashed in August with it in the back pocket and survived just fine. I never use a baggie unless there's a threat of rain and have never had a problem.

The Blackberry (my work phone) stays home.

rwsaunders
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I usually use a phone condom when I carry one in my jersey pocket...i.e. a small ziplock bag. Waterproof and condensation proof. :cool:

Blue Jays
09-29-2008, 08:58 PM
"...I never use a [cellphone] baggie unless there's a threat of rain and have never had a problem..."Why take the chance? Stormclouds can form in an instant during summertime. I think a ziploc baggie probably weighs two grams...

quattro
09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Absolutely put it in the baggy.

If that little dot inside turns red (the moisture indicator), your warranty is toast no matter what else happens.

BK

And never leave your phone charging on a hotel room bathroom sink....never :no:

ericspin
09-30-2008, 05:18 AM
the iphone can help when you get lost with it's maps software.

it's a no brainer!

+1

I recently got an iphone and used the map function on my ride last Sunday when I decided to veer off my usual course. Works great!

Ray
09-30-2008, 05:27 AM
+1

I recently got an iphone and used the map function on my ride last Sunday when I decided to veer off my usual course. Works great!
I've used the map on the Pearl a few times while riding as well. And pulling up a live weather map to see how close a storm is getting has been handy as well. Technology can be helpful as long as you don't overuse it.

-Ray

johnnymossville
09-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I have no idea what my cellphone is,... (looking,...) Ohhh, it's a nokia something or other, makes phone calls.

BumbleBeeDave
09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I always keep it and my keys, money, DL, etc in plastic ziploc. Very cheap insurance. I also make sure and turn the phone OFF. I ride to get away from stress, not get more by answering calls. I've got to be expecting something pretty d@mn important to come if I keep it on. Even then I leave it on vibrate.

BBD

Ti Designs
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM
I have no idea what my cellphone is,... (looking,...) Ohhh, it's a nokia something or other, makes phone calls.

And you call yourself a modern man? Get with the program, there's a new Iphone coming out in just 7 months and the line at the Apple store is starting to form - grab your sleeping bag and get over there!

MarleyMon
09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I use an Audiovox Virgin Mobile phone I found on the side of the bike path.
I called VM to track down the owner and it wasn't possible; the phone had not been used or "topped-up" for 8 months.
I bought a new battery & charger and it worked fine, so I got a new number from VM and add $15 every 3 months to keep it active.
I keep it in my waterbottle tool kit (turned off so I only charge it once a month).
It uses Sprint's network and works well here in Indy.

mcteague
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Virgin Mobile Slice. Cheap, small and much thinner than most flip out types. It is a pain to use but I only need it in emergencies or when on-call at work. Otherwise it stays off. It even survived a major downpour when I forgot to carry along a ziplock bag.

Tim McTeague

Joel
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Motorola Q - pda/web/camera/phone - work phone. Thin, light and absolutely double bagged in a jersey pocket. It's Florida. It's wet. And when on the bike fully muted on silent mode. Just for outgoing calls.

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Saddle Bag! All around safer for the phone. ATMO No chance I would be tempted to answer it.

Avispa
09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
There's a nice web site to check out before anyone is interested on a cell phone. They give you all kinds of info, etc. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/

As for me, I have been using the Samsung SGH-C207 for a couple of years with the Pay-as-you-go service from AT&T. Why? The phone is small and very light; I keep the phone off almost always, unless I need/waiting for a call...

..A..