PDA

View Full Version : Advice on dirt road tyres

thinpin
09-29-2008, 04:14 AM
I'm looking for advice on clincher tyres for riding a mix of gravel, rough sand and bitumen roads for a 700c wheel. They are for a cross bike so clearance is not an issue. I was looking at something like the Vittoria Cross XN Pro Folding Tyre. But not sure. What do you guys ride on mixed dirt and bitumen?
Thanks in advance

ericspin
09-29-2008, 05:01 AM
For my $ the Michelin Cross jet cannot be beat. I have many a mile both asphalt and dirt on mine.

Birddog
09-29-2008, 08:17 AM
My experience is somewhat limited as I just got into this multi use business myself, but I had good success with my Ritchey SpeedMax 32's on a variety of surfaces. I logged about 50 miles off pavement on a mix of primitive county road, single track, and National Forest Service roads (some very bad) with good results. They seem to handle everything including packed clay/sand, loose sand, and scattered rocks, and gravel. The rocky sections (football sized) were the hardest, but others have suggested that a larger tire would have helped. I was also under geared (34/25) for the steep rocky sections I encountered. The tires were reasonable too, I think I paid about $25 a piece for them. No flats and I ran them at about 70 psi. I did one 90 mile ramble (25 off pavement) and they were great.

Birddog

Pete Serotta
09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Recommended as a good cross purpose tire. There are better on the dirt and there are better on the road - but these are a good compromise

For my $ the Michelin Cross jet cannot be beat. I have many a mile both asphalt and dirt on mine.

William
09-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Club roost cross terra tires. Fairly smooth center with aggressive side wall. Smooth rolling for road and packed dirt, aggressive tread on sidewall for hard cornering. I ride these things for road and light duty off road. I have other tires with more aggressive tread for more knarily stuff.

They come in a few different sizes. I think Cyclocross World carries some of them now.

See them on the Effin Cross Bike here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22929&highlight=Effin

William

markie
09-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I had good success with my Ritchey SpeedMax 32's

Birddog

I like them, too.

I think they are a great all-rounder.

Ken Robb
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
If you can estimate a percentage of road vs. trail usage or whether you want to "push" your pace on one surface or the other we could help you more. I have the MIchelin cross tires and they are good on dirt and ok on pavement. I have 700x35 Paselas and they are good on pavement and ok on dirt.

markie
09-29-2008, 11:37 AM
FWIW.

I find the ritchey speedmax much better on road and dirt then the 35mm Pasela.

I use the folding version of both and the ritchey is much lighter.

vjp
09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I really like my Ritchey Speedmax also but you have to be cautious when turning on pavement when you are new to them as the knobs on the side are a little squishy compared to the center running area.

I actually rode them on my rollers last year because I didn't want to ride any of my good tubulars and THAT was a mistake. The vibration and hum actually made me throw up after riding for about 40 minutes.... or maybe it was the car running in the garage to keep me warm???

Ken Robb
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
On tires this size (and most other sizes too) I'm more concerned about flat resistance than weight and I have only had one puncture ever on Paselas and that was a nail through the sidewall that would have done in any tire.

I forgot to mention Avocet Cross and Cross ll tires. I have a set on my 1989 MB3 in 26x1.5" and like them fine. The difference between the two models is the Cross ll has a more rounded profile so it corners better with some slight reduction in straight-ahead traction. Since it is a "negative" tread like car tires it has about the same rolling resistance as a slick but does dig into soft earth and sand better. I'm pretty sure they come in 700 sizes too.

WadePatton
09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Let me throw this into the mix. I've only ever found one off-road tire completely wrong for me and it's not in this category. What I have found is that with larger volume tires is that pressures can greatly affect the characteristics of the tire. Don't cuss a tire until you've monkeyed with a range of pressures.

I also like puncture resistance features.

keevon
09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Another vote for 700x35 Pasela TG's. While I have nothing to compare them to, I did find that running them at lower pressure allowed me to fool around off-road fairly successfully. Topped off, they roll very nicely on pavement.

thinpin
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys - all useful stuff. The hills close by are great for road riding but the loops tend to be big-ish >150kms. I don't always have time to ride a loop but can significantly increase my options for more time friendly rides by using the dirt roads that abound here. So the rides consist of 50/50 sealed & unsealed. Lots of ascending and long descents on both, the dirt being mostly hard pack. Mayby I'll try a set of knobblies for a while and then the smoother Vittorias and see whats what. :beer: