PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilding 101?

M_A_Martin
11-03-2004, 12:01 PM
So, as I have some time on my hands, I've picked a new project. Building a set of wheels for my mtb. (I have enough road wheels).

I've done a search on the forum and I find threads on wheelbuilders...but not actual wheelbuilding.

Are there any good wheelbuilding sites out there? I'm sure there are some excellent texts on the subject as well...I'd like to hear the pros and cons of those as well.

Thanks!

Ginger

Andreu
11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
...I asked the same question and the two names that cropped quite alot were:

Jobst's book "The Bicycle Wheel".
And Sheldon Browns website:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I´d love to start this but there aren't enough hours in the day at the moment.
A :beer:

Andreu
11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
.....who rides around with a big eagle on his helmet and a beard like that deserves to be fêted.
A

Ozz
11-03-2004, 01:18 PM
The Gerhard Schraner book is a good one also..."The Art of Wheelbuilding" I think is the title.

The Brandt book has lots of theory and a couple pages of instruction. The Schraner book is sort of a DT Swiss marketing tool, but has nice step by step instructions, and I think is easier to follow.

I bought both this past year and used the Schraner book when it actually came time to lace the wheels.

Have fun!

William
11-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Not specifically about wheel building, but lots of good information to familiarize yourself with all the parts, repair, and dynamics of wheels.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_truing.shtml

William :)

bulliedawg
11-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Ginger:

I was really sorry to hear about your injury, and I admire your attitude. Wheel building seems like a great way to satisfy your cycling bug, and to deepen your knowledge. I have the greatest admiration for wheel builders. I still can't believe how great my Speed Dreams are, and I'm amazed that they can be so light and delicate-looking, and still be so damned tough.

amper
11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
M A Martin,

Check your PM's
I may have some usefull wheel building information for you.

Amper

William
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Ginger,

Get a lab coat and a tie, and then read up and become a master builder. ;)

http://www.rickadee.net/~zephyrus/ad4935/ad4935.html

Louis
11-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Ozz,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about ordering one of them and did not because I was unable to decide. Now I know what would be most appropriate for a newbie wheelbuilder like me.

Louis

I bought both this past year and used the Schraner book when it actually came time to lace the wheels.

Have fun!

shaq-d
11-08-2004, 10:38 PM
what andreu said; the brandt book is easy to read, quick, and interesting. it's what i used when i built my first wheel (successfully). just be sure to get hte right components when u're building the wheel. you need the right spoke lengths for the hub/rim combo. there're resources on google to calculate those. that said, a wewell-stocked LBS will know exactly what to use (a less well-stocked one will, and i speak from experience, offer you a spoke that might be a little long or short, but still usable).

sd

Kane
11-09-2004, 02:46 AM
M.A.,
Equipment suggestions;
DT/Hugi 240 hub (disc): quiet, strong and light (good qualities in a hub or a man)
Mavic 819 tubeless disc rim: run tubes or tubeless, but add stan's if you go tubeless
32 spokes dt/dble butted
brass nipples

very sweet

Time heals most wounds, keep up the glucosamine and look for the 'NOW' liquid fish oil (not in a capsule). This oil has absolutely no fish taste! None!

cheers,

Kane

William
11-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi G.

I just brought home a video called:

Bicycle Wheel Building 101
A video lesson in the art of wheel building

Prestented by:

DT SWISS s/p/o/k/e/s
Park Bicycle Tools
& Campagnolo

Starring Master Wheelbuilder Garret Traylor of the Bay State Wheel Co.

Very straight forward and easy to understand.

William

Too Tall
11-18-2004, 07:54 AM
M.A.M. Nothing to add other than an offer to send you a small bottle of boiled linseed oil (I have a lifetime supply). For your first project it will be nice since it takes days to setup giving you time to fiddle.

Below is all yah need to figure spokage and other mysterys of life.
http://www.hubbub.com/tech/hubbub.xls

William
11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
The gentleman in the video says to use linseed oil as well. Though I don't recall him saying "boiled" linseed. :confused: Other than sniffing the fumes, how does boiling change it for the better? Thickening? Faster drying? Just a chance to get to the fumes? ;)

William
11-19-2004, 06:44 AM
In the video I picked up, the builder uses a table with a hole cut out of the top that is just smaller than the circumfrence of a 700c rim. There is a rod poking up through the middle that he can place the hub on that will place it about center to the rim and make it easier to lace. Is this a standard piece of equipment for wheelbuilding? I can't say that I have seen one in any of the shops that I frequent.
He doesn't refrence the table at all when talking about tools used. Obviously it would be easy to build, but I'm just curious if this is standard or just something this person uses.

Too Tall
11-19-2004, 07:19 AM
That's a cool setup. Not something any of us needs but kewl. I dunno if there is a difference. I've always purchased boiled linseed oil to care for our hardwood furniture...mixed with lemon oil and a dab of turpentine. Mmmm nice smell.

zap
11-19-2004, 09:00 AM
William

I was told a good number of years ago to use boiled vs "regular" linseed oil. I think my good friend Bill Coombe (yes, Coombe pedals) mentioned it to me when he was my "uber" mechanic. I vaguely remember that regular linseed oil has corrosive properties.

Been using the stuff to build wheels and coat frames for over 16 years with great success.

William
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Any particular brand you like? What's a good source?

I wonder if Home Despot would carry it in bulk?

Tanks,

zap
11-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Any local hws will have it. I bought my quart well before Home Depot got here. Sunnyside is the brand.

I still have a lot left even after coating 3 steel bikes and a number of wheel builds.

M_A_Martin
11-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Boiled Linseed oil is probably available from your favorite local corner, family-owned hardware store, back with all the refinishing chemicals and paint goop.

Thanks for the offers of the boiled linseed oil, but I have a supply as well. One of my many other hobbies is refinishing furniture, and sometimes boiled linseed oil winds up as part of the cleaning/refinishing/finishing formula.

William
11-22-2004, 05:39 AM
Found it!

(SNIFF)

:hello:
:banana:
:crap:
:eek:
:confused:

Just kidding :rolleyes: :)

Tanks! :cool:

William