PDA

View Full Version : Help, please. I have become an old man.

Sandy
09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Four years ago, I rode 5800 miles, three years ago 5300, two years ago 3500, last year a little less, and this year about 350 in total. I am no longer a cyclist but need/want to start again. Due to some right chest discomfort (symptoms atypical of heart disease) and two siblings with major heart disease, I took a stress test. Prior to the test I did the treadmill 5 or 6 times (in a two week period to try to get into a little shape for the test) for about 45 minutes each, never going very fast but slowly changing the elevation (and speed) to a the max of 15. Took the test. Cardiologist said that my "heart is perfect". Simply wonderful news, as I am going to be 68 in December, and my family history is so poor. But that is when the problems started:

After doing the treadmill and taking the stress test, I was (and still am) having serious problems with both legs, especially my left- discomfort/pain/soreness mostly in the upper quad area, groin area, and sometimes some in the left butt area. I associated it with doing the treadmill as I was in poor muscular and cardio shape as I was not cycling.

As the symptoms persisted and I had/have serious discomfort while walking and use my arms more when I get up from the floor or a sofa, I went to an orthopedist. I am even limping some. He took x-rays of my back, pelvis, and hips. Said that the problem is arthritis in my back, and hips, more so in my left hip.

The doctor wants me to take physical therapy and a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug. Got the prescription filled and found the information I got from the pharmacist about the med to be scarey and I do not want and probably will not take the drug.

Serious side effects include-
Heart attack
Stroke
High Blood Pressure
Heart failure from body swelling
bleeding and ulcers in the stomach and intestine
anemia
life-threatenting skin reactions
life-threatening allergic reactions
liver problems including liver failure
asthma attacks in people who have asthma

I want very much to start cycling again. I need to be able to walk my dog without major leg probems, and need better locomotion for my own independence.

What I don't understand is why I am having problems with both legs at once. I have lost a great deal of muscle mass a function of not riding my bike.

So, if anyone can make any suggestions about my arthritis, I would certainly GENUINELY appreciate it.

When cycling I always felt years below my actual age. The doctor did say that I may ride a bike as long as I don't use big gears and that I should use pain as a guide.

Now I really feel as if I have aged tremendously. I really feel like an old man, so totally different than when I was cycling.

Help, please!

Sandy

markie
09-27-2008, 11:36 PM
What NSAID were you prescribed?

It might be worth knowing the real risks so you can do a pro/con for yourself.

Over the counter ibubrofen is a NSAID and is minimal risk (hence being available over the counter), but it still it has most of the risks you posted.

Did your pain start after the treadmill? Is it possible that some of it is muscle pain from pushing too hard?

Even easy rides on a recumbent are better than no rides.

Louis
09-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Over the last year or so we've seen a number of versions of this thread, but just the same here are my $0.02:

1) You're only as old as you allow yourself to become.

2) If you want to ride again, then start riding. Slowly at first, for short distances, then, as you get back into better condition, longer distances, at higher speeds.

3) Don't feel sorry for yourself. You still have the rest of your life to enjoy.

4) You can't overcome all of the limitations old-age throws at you, but with effort you can minimize their impact.

Louis

thwart
09-27-2008, 11:59 PM
If you were cycling between 3.5 and 5 K miles a year very recently, barring a major health problem there's no reason you can't again become a "cyclist".

And it sounds like you have effectively ruled out a new major medical problem.

Maybe a good physical therapist can help you "get your mojo back"...

Blue Jays
09-28-2008, 12:23 AM
You could try riding one of these low-slung little puppies (http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/) to see if it can be pedaled without pain.
I tried one for kicks a couple years ago and they are very fast on level ground.

http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/MEDIA/home_page_top.jpg

Gothard
09-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Set up a program with help from a trainer that knows your present limitations, stick to it, then book a plane to switzerland for a week and I'll show you around. I think we are the same size, so you won't need to take your bike.

I'm serious. Set a goal and reach it. Have a talk with Karin Kirk.

ti_boi
09-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Sandy.....feel better my man.
You have been a friend to many..... :beer:

Karin Kirk
09-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Set up a program with help from a trainer that knows your present limitations, stick to it, then book a plane to switzerland for a week and I'll show you around. I think we are the same size, so you won't need to take your bike.

I'm serious. Set a goal and reach it. Have a talk with Karin Kirk.

I'm available as a cheerleader and guide! Sandy, there are Porches everywhere here so you'd have fun with that too. Having a positive goal would be a great idea. And if all else fails, you could still just have a grand time in Switzerland. George would take great care of you.

But ultimately Sandy, this is up to you. I can understand your pain in feeling like you can't overcome the inertia of being inactive for a year. It probably feels insurmountable to get back on track. But the longer you wait the worse it will be. You've got to find something that keeps you motivated and positive about this. That is something that none of us can do for you, but hopefully we can encourage you to do it for yourself.

Smiley
09-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Baby steps, get out on your bike and ride, nobody here can make you feel better then U getting out and riding. As I told you hire Shawn as your trainer coach and he'll ride with you to kick start the process. Get out and do it before we get into the winter blues.

Dekonick
09-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Sandy - If you are serious (and Ill bet you are...) give Josh a call. He knows you... he is a trainer... he can get you back on track.

If you want some easy slow miles, I am always open for a ride - not too far from your house if you don't mind the drive. Plenty of safe flats here as well as the hills when you get your mojo back.

The pain sounds like pain from impact on the treadmill - that and using different muscle groups.

Accupuncture....
Accupressure...
Massage...
walk...
BIKE...

Just do it! :banana:

Dek

Ray
09-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Sandy,

Good advice so far, but one other point. You might be putting too much pressure on yourself based on your past high-mileage riding. I, too, had been riding 5-6,000 miles per year for about a decade. Last year I rode much less, partially due to outside circumstances that kept me off the bike, and partially due to a reduced desire to ride. Because I rode so much less (and never got into the kind of shape I'd been in when I was riding a lot) I always felt like I wasn't living up to my expectations of myself as a "cyclist". Then last winter I pretty much didn't ride at all and this spring just couldn't get back into it. Finally, while watching part of the Tour, I sort of got re-inspired to just go out and enjoy myself again.

I haven't had a computer on the bike all year. I have absolutely no idea how many miles I've been putting in, most of my rides are in the 25-40 mile range instead of the 45-60 mile range, and I haven't done a ride longer than about 50 miles all year. The few times I've fallen in with pace-lines that I used to be able to at least suck wheel in, I haven't been able to hang at all. I'm a shadow of the cyclist I used to be. But I feel really comfortable on the bike again, I'm back to riding a few time a week again, and I've been enjoying it tremendously. And its been enough to get back close to the weight I used to be when riding more. And I'm feeling really good - my overall conditioning is probably close to as good as when I used to ride long miles - its just that my long ride conditioning isn't as good. The speed and distance don't matter anymore - I just had to get out and start doing it again.

So, just start riding. If 10-15 miles in Rock Creek Park at a snail's pace is all that you want to do at first, just do that. And don't worry about the speed or distance, just enjoy the feeling of moving on the bike, the wind in what's left of your hair, etc. You'll probably find yourself riding more in time, but if not, don't worry about it. There are no rules for how to enjoy this activity. Except to enjoy it. Putting pressure and expectations on yourself helps some people enjoy it more. But it hasn't seemed to be working for you lately, so try to relax and enjoy it.

-Ray

Lifelover
09-28-2008, 07:22 AM
You went to a Dr. because he knows more than you. So take the Damn meds! Even if the meds are a risk, it they offer pain relief long enough for you to start getting back into shape, it will be worth and maybe extend you life.

Also, if need be give up being a cyclist. Get a nice cruiser with a fat cushy seat and a chain guard. You don't need to dress up or put on special shoes. Just cruise around the block waving at everybody.

Sandy, I suspect part of your problem in anxiety. It is certainly what is keeping you from taking the meds. My wife suffers from it and from her experience I know that you want solve any of your problems without addressing it as well.

93legendti
09-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Baby steps, get out on your bike and ride, nobody here can make you feel better then U getting out and riding. As I told you hire Shawn as your trainer coach and he'll ride with you to kick start the process. Get out and do it before we get into the winter blues.

Sandy, listen to Smiley.

Old man = non-rider.
Young man = rider.

saab2000
09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Go out and ride your Serotta because it's a nice bike. Don't worry about how you look. Or how fast you are or what others think. It's not a competition and there will be no wagering... :D

Just pump up the tires on the C d'A and let 'er rip. Who cares if it's only 5 or 10 miles?

capybaras
09-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Set a super easy goal like 30 minutes on the bike 3 times a week. Do not go over your goal. If you waste the first 4 days in the week you will have to ride 3 days in a row - no excuses. Increase your goal the next week if you thought that was too easy but not by too much. If you make it too hard you won't keep it up. Let go of what you did in the past - it is becoming a burden to you. :bike:

2LeftCleats
09-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Physical therapy assessment is a great idea. May discover some simple deficiencies/inequalities, correction of which may make things better for you.

An antiinflammatory may or may not help, but worth a try. Not without risk: gastric irritation being the most prevalent--take with food. Also kidney and liver issues sometimes-but usually with higher dose, assuming no underlying problems in those areas. The cardiac concern is relatively small especially if you have few other risk factors and try to avoid prolonged use. Naproxen (generic Alleve) may be the least problematic though debate continues. Definitely worth a short-term trial (weeks-couple of months) to see if it offers anything and stop if it doesn't.

As others have suggested, a training program with small incremental increases in intensity coupled with adequate rest is prudent.

May be worth a consult with rheumatology or physiatry

paczki
09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Sandy,

You should also ask yourself whether there are additional reasons why you are not riding. You know what we will tell you -- get on the bike, be consistent, etc. Is there something else stopping you? Maybe not, but if so address it. Remember how happy it feels once you get on that bike.

Aaron

Sandy
09-28-2008, 09:23 AM
What NSAID were you prescribed?

It might be worth knowing the real risks so you can do a pro/con for yourself.

Over the counter ibubrofen is a NSAID and is minimal risk (hence being available over the counter), but it still it has most of the risks you posted.

Did your pain start after the treadmill? Is it possible that some of it is muscle pain from pushing too hard?

Even easy rides on a recumbent are better than no rides.

The med is Diclofenac Sod, substitution for Voltaren. I certainly think some of the muscle pain is from pushing too hard, but it has not gotten any better with 4 weeks of rest. Pehaps pushing too hard "set off" the arthritic problems that I had, and perhaps if I had never stopped cycling I would not be having the symptoms as they presently exist.

Thanks for the post.

Sandy

Sandy
09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Over the last year or so we've seen a number of versions of this thread, but just the same here are my $0.02:

1) You're only as old as you allow yourself to become.

2) If you want to ride again, then start riding. Slowly at first, for short distances, then, as you get back into better condition, longer distances, at higher speeds.

3) Don't feel sorry for yourself. You still have the rest of your life to enjoy.

4) You can't overcome all of the limitations old-age throws at you, but with effort you can minimize their impact.

Louis

Must say that is quite a list- So reasonable and so meaningful. Just need to implement them. Effort and discipline.

Thanks for the insight.

Sandy

dsteady
09-28-2008, 11:13 AM
The med is Diclofenac SOD, substitution for Voltaren. I certainly think some of the muscle pain is from pushing too hard, but it has not gotten any better with 4 weeks of rest. Pehaps pushing too hard "set off" the arthritic problems that I had, and perhaps if I had never stopped cycling I would not be having the symptoms as they presently exist.

Thanks for the post.
Sandy

Sandy,
I've had a bad back injury all summer and am also finding it hard to get back on the bike. However, I've found PT to be really wonderful and was lucky to find a therapy clinic that is run by cyclists. I thinks it's worth the extra effort to find a PT with some background in riding.

Also, I was on Voltaren for a while when my injury was still acute. I found it gave me bad heartburn, so if you're finding this too it could be a side effect of the meds.

I understand your reluctance to medicate out of this problem, so you might want to look into alternative therapies -- naturopathy, homeopathy, etc.

I think the PT -- and getting out and riding, no matter the length and effort -- will do you lots of good. It's a great feeling to put yourself in the hands of a professional and create a goal around your own recovery. I'm finding the process very freeing. It allows me to look at riding right now as a part of my recovery and not as this onerous thing I must do in order to fulfill an expectation of my past, pre-injured, self.

cheers to your recovery.
daniel

William
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Sandy,

You know what 92 year old jack LaLanne would say???...

http://www.corvetteblog.com/LaLanneCorvette.jpg

Small steps. Get out on the bike and ride. Do not worry about the past, it's just that...the past. Focus on the present and ride for yourself. Start out for short distances and ride to enjoy. I will also second having Josh work with you. You know he knows his stuff and would be more than happy to help.

Wishing you the best! :)

William

sychan
09-28-2008, 11:39 AM
You might consider what old Chinese people do to manage arthritis - take up Taijiquan. Western research has found it to be effective to build up balance and leg strength, bone density, relieve arthritis, significantly boost the immune system - the list goes on and on.

I would consider it not as a replacement for cycling, but as a quality of life enhancer. My own experience is that it won't give you cardio like running or cycling, nor will it give you strength like weight training, but it definitely gives you more overall energy and a stronger immune system. I don't have arthritis, so I can't report on that.

My dad is in his 70's and swears by his daily Taiji practice for improving his health and energy levels.

Good luck!

Louis
09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Picking up on Sychan's comment:

Is there such a thing as "Yoga for the Chronologically Challenged?"

I bet that would also be very helpful.

Don
09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
As one who is 75, still rides four days a week and more than 5k yearly, I can tell you the advice to Get Out and Ride is essential. And, believe me, you will feel better both physically and mentally by doing so.

Yes, aches and pains become more frequent with age but fortunately, exercising can and does reduce the discomfort. Popping a few Aleve before a ride may be of help. More importantly, listening to a respected doctor who knows and understands your cycling desires can be the best "medicine" for you.

Thanks to the warm and gracious hospitality extended to my wife and me when I visited your friends in Merryland (Smiley and Karin, etc.) several years back, know that you have the human resources by your side if only you'll get out and ride rather than philosophize!

BTW, I'm now riding a Meivici and I can tell you I am faster, more "durable," and more comfortable than ever!

Don

Ahneida Ride
09-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Sandy

You focusing on mileage and not on having a good time ...

Just go out and ride, makes no difference if it is 2 miles, 20 or 200.

Cycling is about fun ... not about numbers ....

Ok my dear friend ?

My Best ....

Ps ... Today I am just doing 8 miles ... think I care if any else cares ?

Johny
09-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Sandy,

I'm maybe much younger, but not necessarily have experienced less pain. We all have our down time, physically and mentally. We worry too much. The more we have, the more we worry (now just send your Porche to me and you'll feel better...). Simply go out and ride for 10 minutes...maybe it will turn into half an hour or longer and the ride of your life. You may bump into Liz (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=591914&postcount=1) and that would be a blast.

Your pal,

John

RPS
09-28-2008, 02:48 PM
The doctor did say that I may ride a bike as long as I don't use big gears and that I should use pain as a guide.Sounds like a green light to get back in the game.
Start slowly and you should start feeling better in no time.

Good luck,
Rick

fierte_poser
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Sandy,

I don't know you, but I like you. You like dogs, I like dogs. You like cars, I like cars. You like bikes, I like bikes.

Having said that, your original post is, in my humble opinion, an example of finding the cloud behind the silver lining.

I just reread your post...you are 68 years old and you have been told your heart is in perfect shape. You are a blessed individual.

If I did the math right, you rode 5800 miles in your 64th year of life, 5300 miles in your 65th year of life, 3500 miles in your 66th year of life, ~3000 miles in your 67th year of life, and 350 miles in your 68th year of life. You are a blessed individual and an inspiration to all of us younger riders who hope to spend our 60s racking up thousands of miles per year.

Did I mention that you have been blessed with a long and healthy life? Take a look at US male mortality rate tables sometime.

It also appears from your posts that you have no financial struggles to speak of. You own a Porsche Cayman. You own a brand spanking new CDA. I would wager you are in the top 10% of the US population in net worth and in the top 1/10th of 1% of the world population in net worth. And my guess is probably conservative. You are a blessed individual.

In fact, any of us who can sit around on a Sunday afternoon and post on the Serotta forum are incredibly blessed with our lot in life. You might think I'm being flippant, but I'm not.

Having said all that, I see two distinct paths for you [Sandy] going forward.

Option 1:

Sit on your @ss. Preserve your 68 year old body for as long as possible. Do not exert yourself physically. Do not exert yourself mentally. Do not exert yourself spiritually. Do not exert yourself emotionally. Doing any of the above will merely suck the life out of you faster. Each day you live without regard for your age is a day that drags you closer to the grave. Pay heed to your wife when she tells you, 'Don't you think you're too old for that.' Wiser words have never been spoken.

Option 2:

Savor the gift of life God has given to you. Listen to your aging body, but don't live in slavery to it. Do what brings you joy and fulfillment. Pray that you will die while in the midst of doing something that brings you joy and fulfillment. At the end of every day, write down 3 things you are thankful for. You have about a million things to be thankful for from my perspective, so 3 a day should keep you occupied for the next ~913 years.

Finally, as for my part, I wish you the best and I will pray for you over the coming days.

Also, I'm sending you a PM for something 'off the record'.

Your friend,
Kent

capybaras
09-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Another idea: do you know anyone who is interested in riding or rides but needs to build confidence? Offer to ride with them and share some of your knowledge. You know a ton about riding and bikes and could surely share some of that with a newer rider. It's not all about fitness. Pedal stroke, how to deal with traffic, turning, climbing, descending, etc. You could help someone with his or her riding skills and it would be fun, take the pressure off, and be a nice thing to do. :banana:

Erik.Lazdins
09-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Sandy,
I blew out my back Thursday afternoon and have missed all my planned rides - this on top of being sick for a week. My plan was to hit 300 riding days this year - this past fortnight has all but stopped that.

What I yearn to do most of all is feel the wind the next time I ride - I just want to feel a bike again and shall do my best to forget about my "blown year"

Any ride is better than no ride.

I wish you all my best - get out there - the distance does not matter - the rides do.

Thanks for your post - I'm rootin' for you!

Erik

Johnny P
09-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Sandy,

Consider yoga to help you stretch and if you don't want to take medication, consider dietary changes. For diet, I would recommend this web site: http://www.drmcdougall.com/

Best of luck,
JP

Kevan
09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Listen to your doctor who knows how you tick. Given that PT and meds are helping you, then listen to everyone here, get on the bike. GET ON THE BIKE!

Distance, direction, speed and style have nothing to do be a cyclist. You are a cyclist, all you need do is behave like one. Like every turn of the crankarm, each pull you take leaving the driveway will improve you a bit more. Bit-by-bit. Go out every day. Every day. EVERY DAY. Ride your bike every day. I'm not going to tell you how far, how fast, how hard. You decide that. But I will tell you to ride every day. Every day. Sounds boring, but you'll find in a week or two it isn't. Every day.

If you build slow, take your time, smell the air you can do it everyday. If you try too hard you won't be able to, so don't. Everyday is more-better than trying to prove something when you're not ready. Take it slow and easy.

Viper
09-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Sandy,

Louis and Aaron touched on something:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49162

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21541

Aside, you wrote about something that recently became an issue too:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23797

And to connect my dots, here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2233

What does this mean? That you are a wise man. You are one of the elder statesmen here and it is, I believe, your responsibility to show us young folks, through example, lead.

In the threads above we learn that as Louis and Aaron offered, there is more to your non clipping-in on the bike. We also learn that you see the Big Picture, have empathy in your perspective of photos of ladies etc. and lastly we learn that your wisdom of life can be shared from behind the wheel of a 1997 M3. In other words, you're a smart, wise man...any question you ask me about your inability to ride is a question to which you already know the answer.

So I say this, I have nothing to say. I can only *suggest* that you organize a Serotta Sandy Sycle, a 25 mile ride in your neighborhood where you supply waffles and hot chocolate, then beer, lunch and dog bones are provided to you and King. If you offer rides in your M3, it might entice even more to attend. :)

Now, more than ever, today, in the immediate future, we need to look to those who've climbed a mountain and listen to their sage advice.

Regards,
Viper

Dave B
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Sandy move to Indy, I have a spare bed and would ride with you every day. Nice and easy.

fiamme red
09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Get yourself a beater bike that you can just hop on and ride in your regular clothes and shoes around the neighborhood. It can be a mental block when you need to get all dressed up just to go for a short ride.

Ahneida Ride
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Sandy

I could only get in 8 miles today ( although it did include a steep hill)

Hey .... but at least I was out there riding .... Perfect too,
cause it started to rain soon as I returned.

Just head out for a short spin and enjoy the aroma of fall.

Remove that dang computer ....

God Bless.

Ray
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Get yourself a beater bike that you can just hop on and ride in your regular clothes and shoes around the neighborhood. It can be a mental block when you need to get all dressed up just to go for a short ride.
Great recommendation. A sit-up-and-beg, go to market bike. Like this one. Some of my nicest rides these days are five miles or less just bopping around on this doing errands, riding around town, occasionally stopping by a friends house. Street clothes, no helmet - nothing more than a clip for my pants to keep 'em out of the chain when its cool enough for long pants.

-Ray

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/ramboorider/Bleriot/IMG_0095.jpg

FMS_rider
09-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I don't have much to add to the long PM I sent you in the wee hours of yesterday morning, other than I forgot to mention yoga, so I want to echo what was said by others earlier in this thread.

Yoga is one of the 3 things that have enabled me to go from a virtual invalid as a result of fibromyalgia (FMS) to an almost fully functional state (I managed to do a solo ride of 103 km with 5008 ft of elevation gain yesterday) --and don't forget that I am only 3 years younger than you. I felt positively silly when I started doing yoga --definitely not "me"(!) but I have been doing it almost every day for 2-1/2 years now. I did it with a group for a couple of months to get started but have done it alone at home in the early morning since then. Even if you are stiff it does not matter (I will never be able to "touch my toes" and a lotus? --fahgettaboudit!). I do a really basic routine that anyone can, but it has helped me tremendously --the effects are mental as well as physical.

I presume you have not yet gone to the physical therapist --when you do I guarantee you will come away with a very different view of your condition than you did after seeing the orthopedist!! I also think you would be amazed to learn how many people on this site have the same, similar, or worse conditions than yours but continue to live-to-bike (for starters, I have some "arthritic changes" in my neck and lower back in addition to the fibromyalgia).

Think of your situation as a challenge --adopting that mindset has helped me tremendously.

I hope you will be able to hear the cheers of everyone here every time you get on your bike! We are all looking forward to seeing you at group events next summer --YOU WILL BE RIDING WITH US! (even if it is off the back with me --I would love the company)

Lew

Ray
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
.... I forgot to mention yoga, so I want to echo what was said by others earlier in this thread.

Yeah, Sandy, yoga is a HUGE help to me too. I also do a pretty basic routine, alone, at home. I don't do it every day, but a few times a week, only about 20 minutes to a half hour. If I'm feeling good, it makes me feel better. If I wake up with stiffness or aches or pains, it almost always gets rid of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

-Ray

Viper
09-29-2008, 07:50 AM
The most powerful muscle is between the ears.

RABikes2
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
The most powerful muscle is between the ears.
+1

You have a PM waiting for you Sandy ... be sure to READ IT a few times! I'll be waiting for your reply.

RA

FMS_rider
09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
+1

You have a PM waiting for you Sandy ... be sure to READ IT a few times! I'll be waiting for your reply.

RA Same here --I just sent you another one that won't take as long to wade through as my first one. However in contrast to RABikes2 whose reputation and credentials I am well aware of from things I have read on this site, my verbose PMs only deserve a single read.

We all love you Sandy!

Lew

michael white
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Sandy,

so what's the big deal about cycling? I mean, it's a really great thing to do, but if you're not happy I would probably think about that some more first. Have a great day.

best,

mw :)

93legendti
09-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Sandy, this is good advice:
i would never ride indoors - ever.

the fittest i have ever been as a cyclist when i could not
ride regularly outdoors in the cold weather was when i'd
go up to cockaponsett forest a mile out of town and just
walk - and walk - and walkmo atmo.

walking is under-rated. i lost weight. toned by body. got
the heartbeat upmo atmo. and got away from people. do
it, james. and walk alone. it's not a social activity, it's for
your headmo atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:o :o :o
:o :o :o
;) :o :o

PBWrench
09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Sandy -- great advice from everybody. Set small goals and use all of this positive karma from the forum to motivate yourself to acieve them. Picking up on one early post, I'd highly recommend borrowing a recumbent from a friend or LBS. When I was rehabbing from a pelvic fracture several years ago, I rode one for a couple of weeks. The position on the bike required less flexibility, etc., but most importantly the low center-of-gravity gave me the confidence to get off the crutches and to ride. Those short rides did a world of good for my spirits and state of mind. Try it -- you may be very pleasantly surprised! Shanah Tovah, may you and your family have a healthy, happy and productive New Year.

Sandy
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Sandy,

I don't know you, but I like you. You like dogs, I like dogs. You like cars, I like cars. You like bikes, I like bikes.

Having said that, your original post is, in my humble opinion, an example of finding the cloud behind the silver lining.

I just reread your post...you are 68 years old and you have been told your heart is in perfect shape. You are a blessed individual.

If I did the math right, you rode 5800 miles in your 64th year of life, 5300 miles in your 65th year of life, 3500 miles in your 66th year of life, ~3000 miles in your 67th year of life, and 350 miles in your 68th year of life. You are a blessed individual and an inspiration to all of us younger riders who hope to spend our 60s racking up thousands of miles per year.

Did I mention that you have been blessed with a long and healthy life? Take a look at US male mortality rate tables sometime.

It also appears from your posts that you have no financial struggles to speak of. You own a Porsche Cayman. You own a brand spanking new CDA. I would wager you are in the top 10% of the US population in net worth and in the top 1/10th of 1% of the world population in net worth. And my guess is probably conservative. You are a blessed individual.

In fact, any of us who can sit around on a Sunday afternoon and post on the Serotta forum are incredibly blessed with our lot in life. You might think I'm being flippant, but I'm not.

Having said all that, I see two distinct paths for you [Sandy] going forward.

Option 1:

Sit on your @ss. Preserve your 68 year old body for as long as possible. Do not exert yourself physically. Do not exert yourself mentally. Do not exert yourself spiritually. Do not exert yourself emotionally. Doing any of the above will merely suck the life out of you faster. Each day you live without regard for your age is a day that drags you closer to the grave. Pay heed to your wife when she tells you, 'Don't you think you're too old for that.' Wiser words have never been spoken.

Option 2:

Savor the gift of life God has given to you. Listen to your aging body, but don't live in slavery to it. Do what brings you joy and fulfillment. Pray that you will die while in the midst of doing something that brings you joy and fulfillment. At the end of every day, write down 3 things you are thankful for. You have about a million things to be thankful for from my perspective, so 3 a day should keep you occupied for the next ~913 years.

Finally, as for my part, I wish you the best and I will pray for you over the coming days.

Also, I'm sending you a PM for something 'off the record'.

Your friend,
Kent

Kent,

There are some really superior posts on this thread. Each is remarkably genuine and helpful. The advice and concern is so apparent that it is humbling. All the posts hit the bulls eye but yours hit dead center.

The reality, which I do realize and have for a very long time, is that I am, as you said, blessed by what I have. More so than you probably realize. I will be 68 whereas my sister and father died in their 50s. My sister, mother, and father all died from one of the most lethal of all cancers- pancreatic. My overall health is superior.The fact that I am still here makes me blessed. I am retired but have an income and although not wealthy I have more than I actually need at this time. My daughter is extremely well educated. I have few of the financial demands that many still have. Recent market conditions has decreased what equity I have by a great deal, but I still am able to presently live my life without too much worry. Blessed again. Have a few really wonderful friends. Blessed once more. I have two passions- cycling and dogs. I own two great bikes, have a super dog, have time to volunteer at shelters and ride my bike. Once again the blessed word appears.

Your two choices are dead on, and I will opt for number two.

By the way, here is my list of 3 for today-

My wife, my dog, your post.

Sandy

BarryG
10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
(sorry for the delayed response)

Sandy, you've received a lot of excellent, big-hearted advice already. But I wanted to add to the pie from a slightly different perspective, based on my own efforts to come back to cycling over the past 3 years.

Do some experiments with your activity and see if you can identify your left hip as your main limitation. You have classic hip arthritis symptoms. I think the back issues can be dealt with by yoga and adjusting your cycling position (or going to a recumbent), but hip arthritis can really sideline you. Hip arthritis can be rapid onset and your mileage just tanks quickly. If the hip is as big an issue as I suspect it might be, seek out a really top hip orthopedist doing the latest procedures (do some research) and explore your options to relieve the arthritis including arthroscopy or resurfacing/replacement after the diagnosis is definitely confirmed.

In the mean time, take a NSAID regularly (not just when it hurts) and switch from Voltaren to Naproxen. Personally I find Naproxen a lot more effective for my hip than Voltaren and experience no GI issues with it. Do shorter rides and take 3 days off between rides. Increase as tolerated.

Hang in there!