PDA

View Full Version : impatient newbie

krampa
09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm in the process of purchasing the Legend Ti pictured in this Craig posting: http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/857549310.html (I've also attempted to upload/attach photo here.)
Seller isn't totally clear on its year, and I'm confused by the handful of similar model names; some w/ just a letter or two added, etc. I've emailed the 'CT 57.5 xxxx' serial w/ a request for info, but it's the weekend. Any help will be appreciated. (I'm currently on an '02 LeMond Zurich with D/A-Ultegra and [gasp!!] Campy Neutron's & Chorus calipers.) Thanx!

BTW, how might such a Legend's ride compare to my current '853' Reynolds-framed rig, which I find to be kinda like glass, f/ the most part?

fierte_poser
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Folks here could help you narrow down the date of manufacture based on the _complete_ serial number. Please post the 'xxxx' part of the serial number.

For reference, see this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49643&highlight=serial+number

Lifelover
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
what is the serial number?

Peter B
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Looks like pre-2000 to me. I believe Serotta introduced the 3D rear dropouts that year, and the 3DXL (with more machining) the following year. Yours look to be the older plate style. What is the asking price?

krampa
09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks, folks. Here's the complete serial #: CT 57.5 4066 (I believe that's all of it. But MAYBE it begins with 'CTI', and not just 'CT'.)
Couple more photos w/ detail too; incl closer of rr dropout area, f/ PeterB.
Bike's tauted as 'perfect' w/ full Record-TEN. Orig asking was $1750. I'm down considerably from that, on my pending deal.
Size: 54-55 TT and 57 (and a 1/2?) ST.
I appreciate the replies and your kind attention / support!

thwart
09-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Helluva deal---if the short top tube geometry of the frame fits you.

Atmo. :rolleyes:

regularguy412
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Helluva deal---if the short top tube geometry of the frame fits you.

Atmo. :rolleyes:

Those were my thots, as well. Sounds almost custom, to me.

Mike in AR:beer:

krampa
09-28-2008, 01:00 AM
I certainly hear you guys re the short TT possibly indicating custom. (That was my 1st thought, and it's been confirmed.) And I've been eager to get hold of a 57; my Zurich is a 56 and 58's are a tad tall, and I'm forever swapping in a WAY! shorty, and UPturned, mtb stem on std-geo 56's. I figured that spending maybe a few $100 for the frame (over the Record-TEN groupo & Ksyrium SL's) was a pretty safe bet, even if it doesn't fit me. Anything further from the serial #?

thinpin
09-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Jeez that is spot on for my wife's custom frame measurements. if you're ever selling........

krampa
09-28-2008, 11:18 AM
... maybe it's CTI 57.5 4066. Is there an "I" after the "CT"? hmmmm......
You be the judge ~ here's the photo. A most unfavorable lighting angle, to be sure. See how the vertical part of the 'T' sorta disappears? And, obviously, there's room for another letter after 'CT'. If I squint a bit, I think I can see it, the 'I'.

Ahneida Ride
09-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes it is CTI = Custom Ti ....

great looking bike ... Legends are certainly a candidate for the best
all around bike out there.

If she fits .... you have a phenomenal bike at a fraction of new. ;)

krampa
09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I rcv'd the build sheet just now (on a SUNDAY!). It's a custom 2002 Legend Ti OS Compact // 57.5 x 54 w/ 81.7cm mid-standover ht and Ouzo Pro fork (etc., etc., ...).

Now what does OS stand for?

Lifelover
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I rcv'd the build sheet just now (on a SUNDAY!). It's a custom 2002 Legend Ti OS Compact // 57.5 x 54 w/ 81.7cm mid-standover ht and Ouzo Pro fork (etc., etc., ...).

Now what does OS stand for?

Have you bought the bike yet!?

krampa
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
My deal is sealed. Bike awaits my settling the small balance I owe and collecting it. Its orig buyer passed away shortly after ordering it, I've just learned (from my seller who bought it from the LBS the widow had taken it to).

Peter B
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
OS = oversized chainstays IIRC.

I stand corrected -- those are the 3DXL dropouts.

Sounds like you got a good deal if it fits.

krampa
09-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Yup. There's always the FIT. Like I said, I'm down with its height, and my overall reach should be fine using a more conventional length stem, such as the one it's got.

NEW QUESTION: Is there a table/chart showing maybe a timeline of some Serotta models' evolution, and when new features, both std and optional, came into play?

Steelhead
09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
My guess was going to be 2001, so pretty darn close... That purple is pretty sweet, too. And the Serotta/Flite saddle. Nice :)

krampa
09-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Oddly(?), I'd made a totally UNeducated guess myself, and it, too, was '01. My guess turned out to have been motivated by completely unfounded assumptions and guesses, in my part.
THANKS to all who replied to or even read any of this. I'll post a brief assessment after I take delivery of my (perhaps Like NEW!) '02 custom Legend Ti OS. That'll be around 10/15.

dekindy
09-30-2008, 02:59 AM
I love the ride of my steel Schwinn Paramount and Serotta Fierte. I love the ride of my Serotta Legend so I think you will be pleased. Great deal and I hope it fits. You will enjoy it for a very long time.

krampa
10-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Got it. It/we fit perfectly. It was in near perfect condition (YES, an '02 w/ Campy Record 10)! It helped confirm how much I love (and prefer!) the ride of my steel LeMond. I listed it on eBay and got my BuyItNow within 12 hours. I had it packaged. I shipped it. I found an older steel Legend2 w/ Dura Ace 8-spd. I'll pick it up in a couple weeks. And all was right with the world ...

cadence90
10-25-2008, 03:50 AM
OS = oversized chainstays IIRC.

I stand corrected -- those are the 3DXL dropouts.

Sounds like you got a good deal if it fits.
I may be wrong re: Serotta (never owned one) but "OS" typically refers to the frame tubing, specifically DT/ST, and sometimes TT, especially on a custom frame, for a client who wants a "stiffer" or stronger (rider weight) frame.

Ti is the real deal. You'll be happy on this bike.