PDA

View Full Version : Hammer versus Gu

dekindy
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
My favorite LBS stocks the Gu gels and Cliff Bars, Shots, and Cliff Gel. I have been using Hammer Gel and Perpetuem and like them well, mostly ordering direct.

I am thinking about trying the Gu products and wonder if anyone can give me some feedback on Gu or has used both and what your impressions are.

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I like Vanilla Gu gel. Quite palatable, easy to digest, and gives me a quick boost when I need it.

I like Sustained Energy but when I mix it on the road, it's hard to know how many calories are in the bottle, since I just pour it from a Zip-loc bag.

mnoble485
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Hammer Gel hands down. Worth looking for IMHO. If you go to their web site you can sometimes find a local retailer.
Mike

dogdriver
09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm just a schleb, but have ridden over 8 hours with Perpetuem and Hammer gel and wasn't even hungry when finished. Agreed with the above, Hammer products rock. Turned my wife onto them this spring, and she agrees. With other "shot" gu's I feel like I have to eat something solid to balance.

Cheers, Chris

znfdl
09-26-2008, 02:02 PM
I like Vanilla Gu gel. Quite palatable, easy to digest, and gives me a quick boost when I need it.

I like Sustained Energy but when I mix it on the road, it's hard to know how many calories are in the bottle, since I just pour it from a Zip-loc bag.

fiamme: I get the half sized ziploc bags and put two scoops of sustained energy in one bag. This way I know how many calories that I am getting.

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
fiamme: I get the half sized ziploc bags and put two scoops of sustained energy in one bag. This way I know how many calories that I am getting.I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Blue Jays
09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
No demonstrable difference between any of the common tear, squeeze, n' eat prepared gels.
They're all good and all do an excellent job of on-the-fly refueling / replenishment.

znfdl
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Blue:

If you look at the source of carbohydrates for the gels, they do differ quite a bit.

The maltodexetrin in Hammer supplies energy much more consitently than simple sugars. e.g. no sugar spikes and crashes.

Bruce K
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
And znfdl ought to know !!! :D

I'm a simple shlub of a rider. Long charity rides, a few TT's and some cross. But for me, the Hammer stuff works the best for consistently feeling good during, and at the end of a ride.

BK

jbrainin
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Hammer gel, no contest. It fueled me last year on my cross country trip (as did Accelerade) and it's much easier to deal with when consumed from a flask when compared with any regular gel pack. And your jersey pockets stay much cleaner using Hammer gel instead of Gu or other similar products.

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Hammer gel, no contest. It fueled me last year on my cross country trip (as did Accelerade) and it's much easier to deal with when consumed from a flask when compared with any regular gel pack. And your jersey pockets stay much cleaner using Hammer gel instead of Gu or other similar products.If you're using a flask, I recommend Carb BOOM! (http://www.carbboom.com/products/energy_gel_24.html), especially the Apple Cinnamon flavor. I prefer it to Hammer gel.

Blue Jays
09-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I've interchanged and used whichever happened to be in-stock at my LBS. They have both, they're priced similarly, and have similar caloric values.
I feel the same from a physiological standpoint using any of the commonly-available gel products. I like 'em all and even enjoy the flavors.

PBWrench
09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I am, unfortunately, addicted to Espresso Love GU. The double caffeine makes me doubly happy. When I add electrolytes to my water, though, I use the Hammer product. I find Cliff gels kind of pasty tasting.

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I feel the same from a physiological standpoint using any of the commonly-available gel products.People who ride very long distances (like znfdl) are more likely to feel the difference, e.g., between a maltodextrin-based gel and one based on simple sugars. What works for a 75-mile ride may not work so well for a 250-mile ride.

JumpStart
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
I switched from GU to Hammer Gel (and perpetuem for 2hr plus rides) about 3 years ago and haven't looked back.

dekindy
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
If you're using a flask, I recommend Carb BOOM! (http://www.carbboom.com/products/energy_gel_24.html), especially the Apple Cinnamon flavor. I prefer it to Hammer gel.

I have never heard of this even though it says they have been around since 2000!?

Blue Jays
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
People who ride very long distances (like znfdl) are more likely to feel the difference, e.g., between a maltodextrin-based gel and one based on simple sugars.
What works for a 75-mile ride may not work so well for a 250-mile ride.Any of the gels I've used on nearly double-century days have worked fine.
If it's berry, orange, lemon, or lime, regardless of manufacturer, I'm totally good to go. Yum!

FL_MarkD
09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
I used GU but was looking to go with a flask and bulk purchase to reduce trash/mess and reduce the cost a bit. I found the Hammer Raspberry gel in the big bottles somewhere online on a big sale with free shipping. Ended up being a great buy and I really like using the flask on the go and the results (predictable energy).

Both GU and Hammer use maltodextrin as the primary 'sugar'.

For GU I do agree that the vanilla is a good flavor.

Mark

Blue Jays
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Yep, I similarly have an interest migrating to flask-type gel containers. It does seem somewhat silly to cart all that messy extra packaging.
I saw news posted somewhere for a top compatible with Specialized Big Mouth® bottles that houses an internal gel container, which seems pretty cool. I'll have to check it out some more...

kgreene10
09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I got a long talking to from a guy who seemed knowledgeable at my home-away-from-home LBS about the virtues of Hammer products. I was so convinced that I tried the drink mix for the first time on an 80 miler with 8,600 feet of climbing and bonked like never before (and never since). I had a stomach ache the whole time and got ridiculously woosy. Oddly, I did fine with their gels. But there's no beating Gu Espresso Love on taste.

I tried a flask once and found it incredibly clumsy and it was quite difficult to get the gel to come through the mouthpiece. I suck pretty bad, but perhaps I'm don't suck hard enough.

Bobbo
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Hammer Gel in a flask is great in the winter cold temps - it will flow when the other gels turn into taffy.

For single shots, I like GU the best, but wish everyone had Clif's litter leash; it's tough fiddling with a tiny tear off tab when the group's hammering and you're trying to hang on.

My current fave carbo drink is PowerBar Endurance (fruit punch). Dee-lish without being too sweet, and packs a decent amount of carbs.

fierte_poser
09-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I got a long talking to from a guy who seemed knowledgeable at my home-away-from-home LBS about the virtues of Hammer products. I was so convinced that I tried the drink mix for the first time on an 80 miler with 8,600 feet of climbing and bonked like never before (and never since). I had a stomach ache the whole time and got ridiculously woosy. Oddly, I did fine with their gels. But there's no beating Gu Espresso Love on taste.

I tried a flask once and found it incredibly clumsy and it was quite difficult to get the gel to come through the mouthpiece. I suck pretty bad, but perhaps I'm don't suck hard enough.

I've never tried the Hammer products, but if I was going to try them, I wouldn't make a cold-turkey switch on a ride that substantial. Did you use the rest of the drink mix at a later date? Which one did you use?

mflaherty37
09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I prefer the taste of Gu. I like Cliff Shot Blocks more yet.

avalonracing
09-28-2008, 06:26 AM
I like Hammer better than GU because it is more like a syrup and less like pudding. I also really like Enervit because it comes in a great cola flavor.

Walter
09-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Much of the decision on these things is driven by taste. I do not like the added simple sugars (fructose, sucrose) in many of the products and am drawn to Hammer products and the CarBoom gels for this reason.

For me, the taste of the Hammer hydration drink powder is not good and I use GU becasue it has less simple sugar than the others.

kgreene10
09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I agree. I didn't do it on purpose. I was away from home and the only LBS in the neighborhood didn't have my usual Cytomax. I haven't tried Hammer again, mostly because the flashbacks from that one experience make me pretty nauseous. I do plan to try EFS (or ESF, or FSE, or something with those three letters -- PCP?) and will do a test-run in the house.

I've never tried the Hammer products, but if I was going to try them, I wouldn't make a cold-turkey switch on a ride that substantial. Did you use the rest of the drink mix at a later date? Which one did you use?