PDA

View Full Version : New Regional Framebuilder/Bike Show

WadePatton
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
check it out:

Lifelover
09-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I wonder if this will bring out all the complaining that the San Diego show brought. Might show that the previous B!tchin was more about BB than the show.

WadePatton
09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Let's hope not. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery you know. ;)

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.oregonmanifest.com/exhibitors/

WadePatton
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
URL for the Texas Show: http://ridedaltex.com/bike_show.htm

more builders and links on that one. :cool:

Ligero
09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Wade, you want to put on a Tennessee show? We have Lynskey, Litespeed, Kirk Pacenti, me and some guy building lugged frames in Knoxville, I think there is more but I can't remember. I can't remember the guys name in Knoxville but I have it written down somewhere, I know he is professor at UT.

Ti Designs
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Not that I would ever go to one of these shows, but I have to question if everybody putting on their own smaller show is such a good idea. Smaller shows aren't going to have the draw for the frame builders, so the people who go to these shows only get to see a limited number of builders. The shows become local craft fairs of sorts, and that's really not what the custom hand built bike customer is looking for. Last year our own in-house frame builder, Peter Mooney went to the Hand Built Bike Show to show what he could do against all the others. He built displays for the show, set up a little slide show of his past work and even brought a clean shirt with him. IF (all of 6 miles away from us) built a half dozen full custom bikes for the show, knowing that since they weren't built for any customer they would have a hard time selling them, even at discount. These are things that large shows in a niche market can bring in, smaller shows never will.

Ligero
09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Not that I would ever go to one of these shows, but I have to question if everybody putting on their own smaller show is such a good idea. Smaller shows aren't going to have the draw for the frame builders, so the people who go to these shows only get to see a limited number of builders. The shows become local craft fairs of sorts, and that's really not what the custom hand built bike customer is looking for. Last year our own in-house frame builder, Peter Mooney went to the Hand Built Bike Show to show what he could do against all the others. He built displays for the show, set up a little slide show of his past work and even brought a clean shirt with him. IF (all of 6 miles away from us) built a half dozen full custom bikes for the show, knowing that since they weren't built for any customer they would have a hard time selling them, even at discount. These are things that large shows in a niche market can bring in, smaller shows never will.

I think what the smaller shows do is increase local business. There are many people that have no idea who is building bikes in there own city or state. It is very common for riders around here to have heard of my company but then ask me what I am in town for because they have no idea that I live here.

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 11:01 AM

I would go to either (big or little) if it was local enough and didn't cost an arm and a leg to get in.

I think I prefer and be more likely to purchase from a smaller local show.

gdw
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
"our own in-house frame builder, Peter Mooney went to the Hand Built Bike Show to show what he could do against all the others"

That's great but was it a wise business decision? Did his attendance generate any sales? Did he cover his expenses?

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 02:15 PM
"our own in-house frame builder, Peter Mooney went to the Hand Built Bike Show to show what he could do against all the others"

That's great but was it a wise business decision? Did his attendance generate any sales? Did he cover his expenses?

I have always assumed that for most at the show, it is a vacation (so to speak) and tax write off.

Ti Designs
09-30-2008, 03:29 PM

Three questions that could end interbike as we know it...

It got Peter out of the shop for a few days - that has to count for something. I'm going to point something out, then about three dozen people are going to flame me. The Serotta forum is not a good representation of the greater population, and as much expensive bike hardware as y'all own, few here back up what they think should happen with their credit cards. How many here thought that Serotta should continue the CSI or at least produce that final run? How many ordered them???

Smaller shows are great for showing off what local builders can do, too many local shows will take away the emphasis on the larger shows which have the real draw. Frame building isn't such a popular career that they can afford that. Keep in mind that these shows live or die on what the last show was like. If the last show was a let down, a lot of people are going to skip the next one too. In that way bike shows are much like group bike rides ('cept there's less riding going on). With the bigger shows it's hard not to find something you like, so the show continues to grow. Take a look at the bike trade shows in the past 10 years. There were a number of smaller shows which ther retailers didn't bother going to. My feeling is that it's a small enough market to need the one big show - I could be wrong there.

Lifelover
09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
......Smaller shows are great for showing off what local builders can do, too many local shows will take away the emphasis on the larger shows which have the real draw.....

What is the emphasis of the larger show(s)? Does it benefit the smaller (local) builders as much as a local show would?

Joellogicman
09-30-2008, 05:37 PM
What is the emphasis of the larger show(s)? Does it benefit the smaller (local) builders as much as a local show would?

All by smaller builders.

All three have shown at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show.

The NAHBS purpose is to give handmade builders a chance to show their wares and get customers. One of the builders I used I had never heard of until NAHBS. His operation is across the country from where I live. Had he not been at NAHBS, I doubt I would have found him and ordered from him.

I imagine many small builders have similar success stories.

Arklatex
10-03-2008, 05:32 AM

Swoop,

I have to disagree with you on the idea that regional shows will dilute the effect the big show. The relationship is more akin to College Football and Professional Football.

Half of the Texas show exhibitors display at NAHBS and will continue to do so. I think Ligero's comments are dead on, local shows have more of a 'direct effect', the national show has more of an 'indirect effect'. The local shows take handmade bicycles to people that would never travel to a national show.

The Texas show is being held at a world class velodrome, regional racing will be going on during the show, I have every reason to believe exhibitors will bring displays and clean shirts :) .

The Texas show is a grass roots effort of the Texas framebuilding community. I don't think that makes it a 'local craft fair'.

Anyway, all the comments in the thread are good. It is great this topic hasn't turned 'radioactive'. :beer:

Arklatex
10-03-2008, 05:54 AM
The list of exhibitors has grown, please check it out.

http://ridedaltex.com/bike_show.htm

nicrump
10-03-2008, 08:01 AM
small local shows like this are about community. think of it like the saturday farmers market. some guy 300mi from me will see my stuff and chit chat. he probably won't buy but he is encouraged by what he looks at and so is the builder.

its not always about marketing and selling. sometimes you just want to celebrate what you love with some folks in your area.

Lifelover
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
"Swoop"

Ti,

Them there is fighten words!

johnnymossville
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Holding it at the velodrome while racing is going on is very cool.

WadePatton
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey Wade, you want to put on a Tennessee show? We have Lynskey, Litespeed, Kirk Pacenti, me and some guy building lugged frames in Knoxville, I think there is more but I can't remember. I can't remember the guys name in Knoxville but I have it written down somewhere, I know he is professor at UT.
Yeah, and there's another guy doing tigged atb's over around Cleveland. I'm not ready but would love to in a couple or three years. KP already has his bags packed anyway (we're 80 miles apart and I met him at Portland). But I love the idea--and I'm sure somebody in the SE will do it sooner or later.

AS TO the MINI-SHOWS: I understand that exhibiting at shows costs time and money, and that some builders may have to choose one or the other. That's the only negative I see. I think the best reason for small shows is to afford more access and education to the buying public (the extreme tiny sliver of velo-pie). Took me many years to discover that small custom builders existed. LOT of IGNORANCE out there. Mini-shows should work in conjunction with the BIG show to help stamp out bespoke ignorance atmo.Which, methinks could fatten up the tiny sliver.

Hey Troy, Chattanooga would be a great place for a track--what are they going to do with the old foundry? :bike:

Oh and hey Ti-I helped a good friend find a builder a few years back, she wound up choosing Peter. I touched up the paint on it the other day. She loves it and it's probably the only Mooney in TN. I'll be riding the Vail Cycle Works with her and a couple hundred others tomorrow.

Arklatex
10-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Southwest Frameworks - steel
Crumpton Cycles - carbon
True Fabrications - steel
Kirklee - carbon
BCD Racing - carbon
Tim Massengill - steel / carbon
Daltex Handmade Bicycles - steel

6 days and counting!

dekindy
10-25-2008, 08:22 AM

I don't get your comment at all. Not everyone can afford to travel across the nation to attend one large show. Texas is a big state and they might not even be able to travel that far, especially to visit a half dozen builders. Yet if they could talk to and view the work of a half dozen builders at one show it might be worth it.

I certainly would not attend the North American Handmade Bicycle show if it were held on the west coast. Since it will be here in Indianapolis, I have had it on the calendar ever since it was announced and have volunteered to help shuttle builders to the show, set up, or whatever they want me to do.

Let the shows begin and the consumer can decide whether to attend and the popularity/profitability of smaller shows will be determined. There is a very large model train show in York, PA but also traveling train shows that visit Indianapolis twice a year and also there are local train shows regularly held all over Indiana. The same is true for ham radio. There is a big annual show in Dayton, OH every year yet there are numberous local shows and swap meets and across the nation. I think it is a great thing that the bike builders are willing to attend these regional/local shows.

Indianapolis has Roark, Don Walker, Shamrock, and Cherry near Lafayette, IN. I would attend a show put on by just those four, especially if they had clinics on frame geometry, how to interact with a custom builder, etc.

rspecker
10-25-2008, 11:19 PM
For the NAHBS seemed thin. Why so light on builders?

Arklatex
10-26-2008, 04:02 AM

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Please clarify and I'll do my best to answer. thanks.

dekindy
10-26-2008, 07:02 AM

I do not understand either. There are close to 50 on the current list, which is probably not up to date, and there are still 4 months to go before the show. I think it will be a great show! If the west coast builders don't want to market to the rest of America, then so be it. The builders on the current list are more than impressive enough for me to attend. Let's make this year's attendance so big that they cannot ignore it next year!

rspecker
10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
My point was that TI Designs gave Peter Mooney as his example--but unless I missed it he isn't even listed as an Exhibitor at the 2009 NAHBS. Neither is Andy Newlands as another example. I'm not an expert, but there looked like a lot of names missing. That was my point.

dekindy
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
My point was that TI Designs gave Peter Mooney as his example--but unless I missed it he isn't even listed as an Exhibitor at the 2009 NAHBS. Neither is Andy Newlands as another example. I'm not an expert, but there looked like a lot of names missing. That was my point.

Like I said, there are still 4 months to go and the list is very likely not up to date. Roark is not on the list yet and they certainly will attend since they have in the past and they are a bicycle ride from downtown Indianapolis Convention Center.

There are 7 builders from CA and the same number from OR already signed up, and a total of 46 builders from 15 states and 3 foreign countries as well as accessories and clothing vendors. I wonder how many had signed up by this time last year?

SoCalSteve
10-26-2008, 10:02 PM
small local shows like this are about community. think of it like the saturday farmers market. some guy 300mi from me will see my stuff and chit chat. he probably won't buy but he is encouraged by what he looks at and so is the builder.

its not always about marketing and selling. sometimes you just want to celebrate what you love with some folks in your area.

Great sentiment!

This is how you DO sell bike frames...with love and sincerity.

Just sayin'

Steve