PDA

View Full Version : Deddacai vs. Columbus

animl57
09-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone have thoughts on Deddacai tubing. I'm having a custom frame built and I need to know which brand to go with.

fiamme red
09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Why not let the builder decide?

Elefantino
09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
+1.

David Kirk
09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
If the builder doesn't have an opinion I'd seek out a different builder.

dave

rphetteplace
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
different builders will each have there own favorite. Some guys are Columbus guys, some guys are Reynolds guys. Some guys use different mfg's for different tubes in the same bike. it's all up to the builder. imho

Steve in SLO
09-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone have thoughts on Deddacai tubing. I'm having a custom frame built and I need to know which brand to go with.

I have two Deddacai-tubed bikes and they are my favorites. That being said, my EL-OS Columbus bike is pretty sweet. I love my Moots Ti, too.
Point is although tube type contributes to the bike, geometry is what really makes it.
My 0.02

Steve

bigbill
09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Pegoretti built frames from Deddacai for years before switching to Columbus. They all ride well and are highly sought after. Therefore..... skill and knowledge of the builder > the manufacturer of the tubing.

Peter P.
09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
The brand of steel should be irrelevent to you, unless you're interested in a particular shape for aesthetic reasons. All steels have essentially the same properties in regard to ride qualities; it's the shape and wall thickness which will influence ride quality.

Let the builder use what they're comfortable with.

fiamme red
09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I'd go with Columbus because it's easier to spell.

soulspinner
09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Diameter(for a given geo) is the number one determinate of ride quality, tell the builder how you want it to ride etc, let them do the rest......

cpg
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Excellent point but is it Italian enough? Isn't Columbus a city in OH? Dedacciai now that just looks Italian.

OP don't worry about it. Worry about the color and let the builder figure this stuff out.

Curt

animl57
09-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys! I spoke to my builder today & he explained to me the various properties of the steal he's using. We decided TOGETHER, to go with Dedaccai. Cheers! :beer:

Oirad
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM

No kidding.

BTW, it's Deddaciai.

Oirad

cpg
09-27-2008, 03:14 PM
No kidding.

BTW, it's Deddaciai.

Oirad

Actually it's Dedacciai but I have to look at the box everytime I type it.

Curt

cadence90
09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Pegoretti built frames from Deddacai for years before switching to Columbus. They all ride well and are highly sought after. Therefore..... skill and knowledge of the builder > the manufacturer of the tubing.
Perhaps I'm wrong (and in any case I'm not saying that one of these 2 manufacturers is necessarily better than the other), but I thought I read somewhere that the reason for Pegoretti's switch was that Columbus was more open to butting tubing to Dario's specifications, which for some reason Dedacciai had decided to no longer do.

As I say, I may be wong on that, but there is that part of the builder/manufacturer relationship which does play an important role in their choices.

gemship
09-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Just out of curiousity. How many over bike steel makers are there? I also know of Reynolds, are they still in the business?

PacNW2Ford
09-28-2008, 10:29 AM
True Temper and Reynolds

Tange still has a website and Kogswell uses ECO from Taiwan.

cadence90
09-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Just out of curiousity. How many over bike steel makers are there? I also know of Reynolds, are they still in the business?
Off the top of my head, the top-end steel bicycle tubing manufactuers are: Columbus; Dedacciai; Kaisei (formerly Ishiwata); Tange Prestige (no longer produced, but I think some builders still have stock); True Temper; and Reynolds.