PDA

View Full Version : Best cold weather jacket/jersey

sam.g
09-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Now that the days are growing shorter and the morning temps are alittle cooler, I'm starting to consider a new cool/cold weather jacket or jersey. I'm looking for something with good air management that I can adjust as the temps rise and I warm up. So what your favorite jacket or jersey and why?

Sam in Cincy

sloji
09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Someone had to be the first to say it;

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=534

"Money is printed like it's going out of style but Rapha's Softshell will remain a classic."

johnnymossville
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I bought this Adidas Adistar one early in the year and find it great for riding in cooler weather. Warm yet still breathes. I liked it so much I bought two and gave one to my brother.

http://thelongride.blogspot.com/2008/03/adistar-formotion-clima365-left-nut-of.html

jimcav
09-25-2008, 03:03 PM
has vented sleeves and back, blocks the wind, blocks water (i wore it in lots of wet riding in the seattle area all winter. if you ride hard and are warm in general, then you only need a jersey under it, but you can easily layer more.

if you want more aero form fitting jacket then i loved my assos airblock 851, but it is a whole different level of cost

Pete Serotta
09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Buddy in the Northeast got an ASSOS (around $500) once he got past the price he said it was the warmest jacket he ever had.

THe way I have done it for years is to dress in layers.....

IBEX, Patagonia, Craft make some very workable base and mid layers. Like wool the best.

Then I have a Pear/Craft l shell. for mid temp and a Pearl yellow HEAVY flee ce with windstopper. for COLD

I have never found a single jacket that does it all. Just my 2 cents///PETE

Now that the days are growing shorter and the morning temps are alittle cooler, I'm starting to consider a new cool/cold weather jacket or jersey. I'm looking for something with good air management that I can adjust as the temps rise and I warm up. So what your favorite jacket or jersey and why?

Sam in Cincy

Bob Ross
09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
My favorite cold weather jersey is the Pearl Izumi Kodiak. (edit: sorry, that's the "Pearl Izumi Slice Kodiak Light" according to the receipt.)

My favorite jacket is still the Performance jacket I got in 1996...but sadly, they no longer offer this, & I have yet to be able to find an equivalent from anyone. It has windproof/waterproof panels along the front of the torso, fronts of the arms, & tops of the shoulders, but it has breathable fleece along the backs of the arms & torso. So it's incredibly warm without getting incredibly hot, if you get my drift.

My wife -- who is notoriously sensetive to chilly air & usually can't possibly be overdressed - swears by the Assos 851 jacket. She's out riding in 25°F weather wearing just that and a lightweight polypro base layer.

(Well, and pants also.)

fiamme red
09-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't care for jackets on long, hard rides. I prefer to wear as many layers as the weather dictates -- when it's below freezing, three wool base layers and two wool jerseys, or even more.

Ozz
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
The Descente Element is a nice jacket....a touch heavier than a shell, and layers nicely. The cut is not as form fitting, but not bad.

I also have an Assos Airjack which is great. Layer with Craft and warm jersey and I'm good down to 20 degrees with it. It doesn't get any colder than that here in Puget Sound area...and even then it only lasts for a couple days. Snap coller is nice.

I also have a coupel Etxe Ondo jackets...just as good as the Assos, with less of a "Star Trek Next Generation" look to them.

AndreS
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I have absolutely NO IDEA what the "best" jacket/jersey is, and I have no interest in that question. I can only relate what has worked for me so far.

Wind barrier on top, layers beneath appropriate to the temp and planned activity level. My experience is that jackets are a waste of money - it is far better to dress in layers so you can adjust to changes. You may experiment and find an answer diametrically opposed to mine that works for you and your situation.

Sorry if the above is obnoxious, I just get tired of all of the posts looking for "the best ....". There is no answer to this question: there ain't no sech animal for everyone, every situation and it is silly to ask.

-------------------------

Viper
09-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Sugoi's Majik Shell. Depending on your temps and needs, see here:

http://sugoi.com/category/86966

TMB
09-25-2008, 04:32 PM
When it gets cold outside, or cool, I wear a poly-pro turtleneck underneath a jersey ( usually wool ),

That is good for me down into the low '40's, after that I will often wear a a Long sleeve wool jersey over top.

The only time I wear a "jacket" is if the roads are sloppy and I don't want the wet, mucky slop all over one of my good wool jerseys. ( keeps the wet out too)

gdw
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
+1 on the layers. Everyone is different when it comes to how they tolerate cold temperatures. I usually just wear an old Pearl Izumi vest to block the wind with a light or mid-weight wool jersey underneath. On really cold days I'll add a silk undershirt.

Joellogicman
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't care for jackets on long, hard rides. I prefer to wear as many layers as the weather dictates -- when it's below freezing, three wool base layers and two wool jerseys, or even more.

Except here in Chicago, where Fall seems to go straight from balmy to frigid, I have gradually replaced my jerseys with Filson sweaters. They are heavy but warm and very durable. If it is not quite cold enough for the baclava, I wear a short wool scarf, as a cold neck bothers me any way.

For the hands, I have tried just about technical glove out there. None have worked as well for me as the Ortovox boiled wool gloves popular with back country skiers.

Chicago is probably the second worse large city in the winter after Minneapolis. You people from warmer climes will be right to take my advise as overkill.

fiamme red
09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Except here in Chicago, where Fall seems to go straight from balmy to frigid, I have gradually replaced my jerseys with Filson sweaters. They are heavy but warm and very durable. If it is not quite cold enough for the baclava, I wear a short wool scarf, as a cold neck bothers me any way.

For the hands, I have tried just about technical glove out there. None have worked as well for me as the Ortovox boiled wool gloves popular with back country skiers.

Chicago is probably the second worse large city in the winter after Minneapolis. You people from warmer climes will be right to take my advise as overkill.I started wearing a wool scarf on my rides last winter, and it made a big difference. I also wear a wool cap. I don't like balaclavas because they make it harder to see behind me (not a problem if you use a mirror).

In really cold weather, there's really nothing as good as boiled-wool mittens (not gloves) with wool glove liners underneath.

Joellogicman
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
balaclavas

In case anyone was wondering, I do not wear Greek pastry in the winter.

Cannot emphasize enough a shorter scarf. Believe it or not, I have seen some riders with those cool looking longer scarfs draping down their back.

Seems to me only a matter of time before one of these trendy riders become a Darwin's Choice exhibit after the story of their unfortunate demise from a scarf in spoke accident hits the internet.

Agree the boiled wool mittens are better than gloves. When it is cold enough to need them, it is cold enough quick interface with the bike is really not an issue.

rwsaunders
09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I use a PI Vector in weather down to 25 degrees. After that, I go bowling.

steelrider
09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Santini sweater-weight jersey. Timeless form and function.

fiamme red
09-25-2008, 08:12 PM
In case anyone was wondering, I do not wear Greek pastry in the winter.

Cannot emphasize enough a shorter scarf. Believe it or not, I have seen some riders with those cool looking longer scarfs draping down their back.

Seems to me only a matter of time before one of these trendy riders become a Darwin's Choice exhibit after the story of their unfortunate demise from a scarf in spoke accident hits the internet.

Agree the boiled wool mittens are better than gloves. When it is cold enough to need them, it is cold enough quick interface with the bike is really not an issue.I tuck the ends of the scarf inside my jersey or sweater.

It's not a problem for me to shift with thick mittens because I ride either with bar-end shifters or fixed-gear in the winter. I admit that mittens are clumsy with Ergo shifting.

mgm777
09-25-2008, 09:12 PM
+1 on the Assos 851 & layers.
Works great for me...I vary the baselayer depending on the temp. Usable from 50 down to 20 deg.

Ripple
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
An outer layer that is breathable with some wind protection works well on top of base layers. I have had great luck with the Gore BikeWear Finish Line Windstopper jacket between 25 and 45 degrees. It's not too heavy and provides great wind protection.

dsteady
09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
For "cool/cold" weather which for me means Seattle in December, I've found that the Exte Ondo w/ windstopper jacket to be really, really nice. I'm too confounded by the Exte Ondo website to be able to tell you the exact model. It retails for abut $290, IIRC.

daniel

Ahneida Ride
09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Showers Pass always received good reviews here .... ;)

Karin Kirk
09-26-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm also a fan of the Pearl Kodiak jerseys/jackets. Champion Systems makes a full zip, insulated jersey that is similar. If it's cold I wear a Patagonia wool or caplilene layer under that.

A new layer in my arsenal is a very lightweight wind jacket made by Champion, but these are available in many brands. It bunches up small to fit in the jersey pocket, but is toasty warm when donned. It also has pit zips and a back pocket that is a vent. This is probably one of my most useful items, and costs less than $100.

Neck gaiters make me claustrophobic, but a lightweight helmet liner works wonders. And as Rwsaunders said, when it's colder than that I don't ride much anyway, I ski.

I kind of like the feeling of adding some layers for fall riding. It sure beats the sweltering rides of midsummer.

Joellogicman
09-26-2008, 07:55 AM
I use a PI Vector in weather down to 25 degrees. After that, I go bowling.

By Mid-January I am often tempted to do the same.

Joellogicman
09-26-2008, 08:05 AM
For "cool/cold" weather which for me means Seattle in December, I've found that the Exte Ondo w/ windstopper jacket to be really, really nice. I'm too confounded by the Exte Ondo website to be able to tell you the exact model. It retails for abut $290, IIRC.

daniel

This is not meant as a knock on the manufacturers, but most winter bike gear - in fact most bike gear - is made with coastal or at least more temperate regions in mind.

One reason I and other Upper Midwest riders I know are less apt to buy bike oriented gear is they are not designed for our weather.

Summers here tend to be hotter than the coasts, and much more humid than the Southwest. Winters are dry, cold and usually overcast, meaning we get none of the solar warming riders in mountain valleys enjoy.

The result is much of the bike riding apparel out there is usually too heavy for summer riding and too light for winter.

For winter at least, back country ski and hunting gear fill in admirably. Other than joining the naked bike ride demonstrations (and that has its own unique drawbacks in my opinion) there is not much to do about mid-Summer beyond being in optimal condition and drinking plenty of fluids.

BicyclingHub
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Paco Rodrigo, owner of Etxe Ondo, used to work for Christian Dior. In 1979 he started making clothing exclusively for professional cyclist and not the general public. His winter stuff looks great and features Gore Windstopper fabrics and extra nice Ketarin fleece.

I have sold both and currently of the two I only sell Etxe Ondo. In my opinion Assos overpriced for what it is.

The Descente Element is a nice jacket....a touch heavier than a shell, and layers nicely. The cut is not as form fitting, but not bad.

I also have an Assos Airjack which is great. Layer with Craft and warm jersey and I'm good down to 20 degrees with it. It doesn't get any colder than that here in Puget Sound area...and even then it only lasts for a couple days. Snap coller is nice.

I also have a coupel Etxe Ondo jackets...just as good as the Assos, with less of a "Star Trek Next Generation" look to them.

ThasFACE
10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
I have Assos stuff for the cold and love it. Definitely spendy, though... kind of scary expensive, actually, but it's seriously warm and moves seriously well.

xjoex
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
When its below 30*F I use a Castelli softshell jacket, the Ares. It is a amazing. It is good from 10-30F out. Once you get below that I throw a goretex jacket on over top.

When its above 30 I can wear a wind breaker with a long sleeve jersey.

-Joe

BicyclingHub
10-16-2008, 11:12 PM
It's been said a few times here. The best fabric that we have found for winter cycling is Gore Windstopper. Not only does it work in the rain, it also keeps you extremely toast without making you feel like you're in a sweat lodge. By all means. Be it Castelli, Santini, Gore Bike Wear, Etxe Ondo or any of the large number of brands out there get a Gore Windstopper Jacket. They are very breathable and very comfortable.

happycampyer
10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Paco Rodrigo, owner of Etxe Ondo, used to work for Christian Dior. In 1979 he started making clothing exclusively for professional cyclist and not the general public. His winter stuff looks great and features Gore Windstopper fabrics and extra nice Ketarin fleece.

I have sold both and currently of the two I only sell Etxe Ondo. In my opinion Assos overpriced for what it is.

I have windstopper jackets from Craft and Etxe Ondo, among others, and they are all very nice--I agree 100%. By far the best winter jacket I have, however, is the Assos fuguJack, which is ridiculously expensive. It seems to go up in price by $100 every year. But there is no other winter jacket like it--it takes 3 layers in other "systems" to get the same degree of warmth, but then you don't have the same mobility and breathability. IMO the Exte Ondo windstopper jackets fall somewhere between the 851 and the fuguJack in terms of warmth. IMO they are all overpriced for what they are, it's just that Assos is at the extreme end of the curve.

Climb01742
10-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I have windstopper jackets from Craft and Etxe Ondo, among others, and they are all very nice--I agree 100%. By far the best winter jacket I have, however, is the Assos fuguJack, which is ridiculously expensive. It seems to go up in price by $100 every year. But there is no other winter jacket like it--it takes 3 layers in other "systems" to get the same degree of warmth, but then you don't have the same mobility and breathability. IMO the Exte Ondo windstopper jackets fall somewhere between the 851 and the fuguJack in terms of warmth. IMO they are all overpriced for what they are, it's just that Assos is at the extreme end of the curve.

+1
the jacket is insanely pricey but when it's really cold, it just plain works.

coloclimber
10-17-2008, 11:50 AM
+2
I have an Assos 851 and its great. Then I picked up a Fugujack and use it more often than the 851 in the windy Colorado winters. Its comfortable and breathable and warm as all get out. I think the 851 would be fine for Ohio weather though, having lived there for 18 years myself.

Ozz
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM

:beer:

I bought my Assos jacket from you about 3-4 years ago....I really wanted to buy the Etxe Ondo jacket you sent with it, but it was too small.

I like the new look of your website!

ADD
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Picked up a Sugoi Firewall recently....fantastic jacket so far!