PDA

View Full Version : Beater Tubular Suggestions.

R2D2
09-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I like clinchers OK but love tubulars.
Always have.
Anyway I have some blinged superlight tubs but wanted to get a beater pair with
Continental Sprinters or Champions.
I've seen some decent prices on older Campagnolo Eurus and Ksyrium SL's.
Anyone ridden either and/or have other opinions.
Would like to spend no more than 500 - 600 .
Seems pricey as my first Super Record bike was 600.

Spicoli
09-25-2008, 07:40 AM
If its wheels, dont waste your time with pre builts IMO. Get the hub of your choice and 3x/2x some Ambrosio tubs (F20, Nemisis, Montreal). They will be the bench mark for great ride and handling! They can make even shiitty tubs ride well. FYI good clinchers ride better than crappy tubs.

R2D2
09-25-2008, 07:44 AM
If its wheels, dont waste your time with pre builts IMO. Get the hub of your choice and 3x/2x some Ambrosio tubs (F20, Nemisis, Montreal). They will be the bench mark for great ride and handling! They can make even shiitty tubs ride well. FYI good clinchers ride better than crappy tubs.

I appreciate the clincher versus tubular comment.
Are there any less expensive tubs straight and true etc...........
Use Gp4000S as clincher now.

rnhood
09-25-2008, 08:01 AM
I appreciate the clincher versus tubular comment.
Are there any less expensive tubs straight and true etc...........
Use Gp4000S as clincher now.

Do you not like the GP4000S? I was just getting ready to buy a set thinking it might be a good all-around tubular. I am running Tufos now and, they are a bit harsh when pumped up but, otherwise, I don't have flats and they ride Ok.

R2D2
09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Yes. I'm running clincher now. For best wheels will use as tubulars.
They roll well and the thread on the side grips the more you lean.
Very stable and secure.
BTW I was using TUFO. Tough but slow.

paczki
09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Conti Sprinters are perfect for everyday.

I have set of Mavic Reflex rims with Record hubs which are just great for bumpin' around.

Spicoli
09-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I think sprinters are still the most bang for the buck that I know of? I am not too hip as to any screaming deals going on right now. I look at it this way, when you see a good deal stock up. I loaded up on The new Competitions a while ago since I got them for a good deal and they are a very nice tire. Also the new Sprinters ride better than the old ones and are way straighter, the only knock is that I dont think they wear as well as the old ones? I have a set with low miles and they seem to be wearing quickly. I have come full circle with tubs, I started w/Conti. and went to every other brand and am now back with Conti's. There are tires that ride better (Veloflex, Gommetalias, Vittoria's) but I always had durability issues with them. Nothing worse than valve stems letting go on a perfectly good tire or base tape pulling off. To me thats unacceptable but its an item that you are basically stuck with at that point? I have had the fewest issues like this w/Conti. Thats just my experience, I am sure if you ask ten people you will get ten answers?

P.S. I too am using the 4000's clincher and have had alot of luck with that. I always hated Conti clinchers because I thought they rode like stones but the 4000's with the silly chili stuff ride great, wear well and roll fast.

mister
09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
yeah, the sprinters are a good everyday beater tire. they are pretty durable and ride ok too.
i order one or two from ribble whenever i order other parts. comes out a bit cheaper than going to any LBS...

R2D2
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks all.
Probably go Record/CD Reflex/Sprinter................