PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: DeSalvo,Economy, Lithuania, Studebaker, 55*, Sunny, 53miles with Oatmeal

Viper
09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
To say things have been upside down lately is an understatement as we watch news alerts regarding Wall Street wondering to ourselves, is this what it was like just before the Great Depression?

Tension requires a release, distraction, a change of focus and I decided to clip-in for a ride. It was about 55* and my knee warmers were necessary as the temperature drops within the woods, along the shore, when cruising at zone three output and the thin skin on the knees becomes unhappy rather quickly. I had ordered some Louis Garneau arm warmers last season, in XL and to my surprise, they made better knee warmers than arm warmers. If you're looking for inexpensive knee warmers, consider this solution as during the summer, the arm warmers can be had at give-away prices. With three layers on, some oatmeal at hand, I was ready. Oatmeal, what a proud form of nutrition; along with cockroaches, gossip and Michael Jackson's nose, oatmeal will survive a nuclear war. A few secretive Forums will survive too.

The first item I stumbled upon was a 1957 Studebaker. Wow. Cars from the 50's were things our Dads owned, talked about and we'd see on Happy Days once a week. Those same cars are so rare now and this piece of art reminded me of something on my mind, the economy; Dad had told me years ago that Studebaker began in the early 1900's as an electric car company. Funny thing I thought, the Studebaker brothers must be laughing somewhere right now.

I looked down from the cliff out at the low, tired Fall sun and thought the Bay resembles the exact shape of Lithuania, a country with a cool flag. Viva Lithuania, on 1/20/09 you'll see a new American President, as per the sign along the road.

During the ride Mike DeSalvo called. He finished the custom steel, TIG frame and it's at Spectrum awaiting a paint scheme. We've tossed some ideas around and today we nailed it. In fact, Mike suggested the bike make it's way to NAHBS this February and it will, so stay tuned.

I wound up with a little over 50 miles and I pushed it hard, I have to believe I'll have only a handful of rides left before I place the bike inside and return to the YMCA pool, gym and reading some books for the winter. I hope Nelson DeMille comes out with something new soon.

Dinner was to-go, it was pitch black out and I had to walk the last two miles as it was too dark to ride without risking a wipeout on a pothole, fallen apple or uneven road. I wasn't prepared for riding in the dark and the early sunsets aren't within my internal clock just yet. I'm never ready for Fall, I cling to summer and always will. Maybe I'll have to extend my cycling season this year, put some knobby tires on and play in the dirt.

Soundtrack by Oingo Boingo, a band with a wacky name and things are wack these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11jY0v5t1WM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqY7hHWCe48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg&feature=related

Viper
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
My knees are in a great position over the pedal, I felt good today. When I'm tired, weak or the opposite, feeling great, I take a pulse of my form by focusing on where my knees are, what they're doing throughout the stroke. Maybe it was the oatmeal, I felt good. These gloves rock, Pearl Izumi Pro Gel Vent etc, perfect for Fall riding. If you wipeout, the pavement will get scratched and your palms will be fine. They're comfy on the bars too, where it matters and I endorse them even if the reviewers online gave them mixed reviews. At $40.00, it might be a little more than I'd like to spend and they're no longer made, but can be found on the web. Typically I race up this steepest hill at 12mph, today was 14mph as I thought I'd miss days like this in about another 4-6 weeks. I haven't been on the bike in a little while, but short, half mile walls are always fun to tackle.

Viper
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
"Like every other instrument man invented, sport can be used either for good or for evil purposes. Used well, it can teach endurance and courage, a sense of fair play and a respect for rules, co-ordinated effort and the subordination of personal interest to those of the group. Used badly, it can encourage personal vanity and group vanity, greedy desire for victory and the hatred for rivals, an intolerant esprit de corps and contempt for people beyond a certain arbitrarily selected pale."
-Aldous Huxley, 1937

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Viva Studebaker! :D

BBD

johnnymossville
09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Your ride reports are great Mr. Viper. Now if I could just sneak out of work and go on one myself.

MarleyMon
09-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Here's a link to the
Studebaker museum (http://www.studebakermuseum.org/history.asp) for a brief history.
They started as a blacksmiths and became horse drawn wagon makers.
In a previous incarnation I worked at the convention center where the museum started. Cool cars.
There is still an area in So. Bend known as the Studebaker corridor - a real Rust Belt case study.

girlie
09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I start out just looking at the pictures....and always enjoy.
Then eventually read the report and enjoy even more.
girlie

Viper
09-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Sequel to The Gold Coast comes out October 28th:

http://www.nelsondemille.net/

rphetteplace
09-25-2008, 01:00 PM
so what colors did you finally decide for the DeSalvo?

Viper
09-25-2008, 01:05 PM
so what colors did you finally decide for the DeSalvo?

It's a secret. Shhh. It'll be in Indy.

:beer:

rphetteplace
09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
It's a secret. Shhh. It'll be in Indy.

:beer:

that's ok I'll ask Mike and post som pics on the forum for ya :beer: