PDA

View Full Version : Does someone need to tell Contador that Cycling is a TEAM sport

jmc22
09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I use to think this guy would be good for the sport, but now I think he thinks that everyone should be kissing his A** and it's all about Contador.

I think if he keeps it up, he may have to start Team Contador in order to find a ride.

http://velonews.com/article/83526/contador-hesitant-to-ride-with-armstrong

Climb01742
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
i don't know. maybe he's being a little too honest or too loud. but i kinda think he's got a point. he's earned being an undisputed team leader. who knows. maybe in spanish, it sounds better. :rolleyes:

dauwhe
09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I loved the interview--turned me from agnostic on Contador to a fan! Would you rather hear him spouting platitudes about teamwork? "We played hard, we played together, we gave 110%. I'd like to thank my Mom..."

Cycling is not a team sport in the sense of football (or any other "team" sport I can think of). Who won the Vuelta? Contador, not Astana. Cycling could exist without the whole concept of teams, and I don't think it would be that different (aside from being more egalitarian).

Dave

johnnymossville
09-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I think he's gotta find another team. QUICK.

jthurow
09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I always thought that about lance. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I can kinda see why he might be a little pissy... dude's won all 3 tours, 2 in the ame year, but might not be the team leader next year b/c lance wants to give it another go? Granted it's a team sport but he was turning those pedals up the Agrilu...

jimi

bagochips3
09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
If I'd won all three major tours and was in prime shape to win them many more times, I would not want to ride support either.

Fixed
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
he has a point
..but imho the cat has to learn to t.t. better ...and keep his mouth shut
cheers

Ray
09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, not even a close call. If I'm Contador, there's no way in hell I want my boss (Lance owns a chunk of the team, right?) and an ex-superstar coming back for a senior tour spin around France at my expense. Jeez, I'm the best stage racer on the planet at the moment, and I'm gonna ride for Lance? NOW? I don't think so.

Either Lance rides for Contador or Contador's gotta go to a team that set up to ride for him and then ride Lance into the ground, which I assume he can do. If not, it'll be a good show. But no way those two guys should be on the same team unless Lance is there to support Contador and get publicity for his cancer campaign.

Jeez, is this even a question? Yeah, its a team sport and every team needs a leader and he's the leader.

-Ray

johnnymossville
09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
he has a point
..but imho the cat has to learn to t.t. better ...and keep his mouth shut
cheers

Yep, he's lucky the tt wasn't a few k longer or he'd be a 2nd place finisher in the Vuelta. He's not THAT much better than Levi in the mountains.

goonster
09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
I think he thinks that everyone should be kissing his A** and it's all about Contador.

How do you think Lance would have reacted in '99 or 2000 if Indurain wanted to unretire and captain that team?

Gothard
09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
It *is* surprising that his domestique, who sacrificed himself to help him win the Vuelta is that close behind. What if Levi did not burn himself for him??
He may need to be stronger if he has another team.

Viper
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Contador was doing something we don't see in politics, he was telling the truth. Team sports don't really exist any longer, that changed when the Yankees signed Catfish Hunter. Contador was whimpering in talking about Levi's finishing time, no doubt, but he's spot on in talking about Lance. I am psyched to see LA next season, but if I were his competition, I'd tell him to stfu at the starting line and I'd taunt him across the Alpide belt. Isn't Lance the least 'team' player out there, it's all about him and shouldn't it be? When you're the top wolf on the hill, you eat when you want. Check out this photo, who is focused with good posture and who is meek, shoulders stuck in his ears, timidly acknowledging he doesn't stand a chance? Contador ain't this guy:

stackie
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Contador definitely needs to go if Lance comes to Astana. The only way that Lance will ride support of Contador is the way that Hinault rode for Lemond in '86.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon

Viper
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Contador definitely needs to go if Lance comes to Astana. The only way that Lance will ride support of Contador is if Contador has a hot, 18 year old, blonde niece/cousin that Lance can date. Just my 2 cents.

Jon

Fixed. :)

paczki
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm glad he said it all so honestly. It's exactly how Merckx would have said it back in the day. Hinault would have beaten Leipheimer up.

Maybe Contador could slip into Sastre's spot and school those Schleck brothers.

jhcakilmer
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I kind of agree with his thought, though not very articulate.

He use to talk/act modestly, but obviously winning 3 GT is miracle grow for the ego. Lance will join the team, and he'll leave, but I'm betting he will not be as successful.....Bruyneel is a master at winning stage races, I think Contador fits his system, and vice versa.

I really don't like his comments about Levi.....you definitively should keep your mouth shut about fellow teammates, especially ones that just helped you win a GT.

Viper
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm glad he said it all so honestly. It's exactly how Merckx would have said it back in the day. Hinault would have beaten Leipheimer up.

Maybe Contador could slip into Sastre's spot and school those Schleck brothers.

+1

And before Lance's look, Jordan's tongue, Hinault's obfuscation, Merckx's cannibalism, there was The Greatest; Muhammed Ali showed in modern day sports what lots of training, confidence and trash talking can do. I've never seen or heard an athlete like Ali, I'm glad to be able to say I was just old enough to catch him while he had a few things left to do in the 70's.

Contador would do well to remind us that caníbal is a Spanish word:

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:XRER9Zko7JAJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism+cannibal&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

StephenCL
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Racing a GT is a TEAM sport. Hard stop. You don't get to the bottom of the last climb fresh without the team. You don't get protected from the wind and working at all on the flat stages without the team. I think that Contador is a great rider. Maybe the best climber of this generation. But, he needs the team to get him to the final hill fresh.

Johan has built a machine that churns out stage race champions. He has the right formula. I seriously doubt that Contador is as successful anywhere else. I think a Lance at astana and Contador at any other team is a lot closer race than anyone thinks it will be.

I think that Contador needs to grow up just a little and respect those that got him to where he is right now.

Just my .02.

cs124
09-23-2008, 04:29 PM
<snip>...you definitively should keep your mouth shut about fellow teammates, especially ones that just helped you win a GT.

I disagree here. I think Contador was right to voice his displeasure.

Levi rode for himself, soft pedalled in the mountains and left something in the tank for the final TT, just like he did in the '07 Tour.

jmc22
09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Racing a GT is a TEAM sport. Hard stop. You don't get to the bottom of the last climb fresh without the team. You don't get protected from the wind and working at all on the flat stages without the team. I think that Contador is a great rider. Maybe the best climber of this generation. But, he needs the team to get him to the final hill fresh.

Johan has built a machine that churns out stage race champions. He has the right formula. I seriously doubt that Contador is as successful anywhere else. I think a Lance at astana and Contador at any other team is a lot closer race than anyone thinks it will be.

I think that Contador needs to grow up just a little and respect those that got him to where he is right now.

Just my .02.

I think you are spot on... don't you think that if Levi wasn't told that the "Team Orders" were that he was riding in support of Contador, that he would not not contested some of the stages, maybe beating Contador and winning the Overall and not finishing 2nd... I bet that Levi had to swallow a pretty big pill and now sleeps at night saying...I could have won that race if not the overall.

With respect to LA and Contador, least we forget...there are 3 grand tours & LA is only riding 1 of them, that leaves 2 for Contador.... when was the last time soemone won all 3 Grand Tours in the same year...do you really think Contador could win all 3 in the same year...I don't!

bluesea
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I doubt there are any GC hopefuls who wouldn't trade a Giro and a Vuelta for the Tour.

TMB
09-23-2008, 04:46 PM
There is no reason for Contador to be expected to, or to have to, ride with or for Armstrong.

LA was a trick pony who rode the TdF and that was it.

Contador has proven himself, he was won each of the GT's and has earned the right to be the leader of the team.

Even if LA says he will ride for Contador, it isn't good enough. LA should be looking elsewhere to stroke his fragile ego.

If Astana is intent on pulling LA back into the team then Contador should, and must , leave.

He will owe no apologies or explanations.

Absolute nonsense.

Lifelover
09-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I fully understand Contador's concern with LA coming back to be the man. I could see him thinking that he could still win even if riding with a different team.

However, to call Levi a Wheelsucker is a low blow. Contador did win the the race, so apparently Levi did enough to help him. If he sucks at TT and can't beat his own team mate, than he does not deserve the win.

It seems that he might know that his poor TT skills mean he can not compete with LA.

Either way, it will be a great season next year!

jimp1234
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Not a "team sport"? Ask Cadel Evans. A team with two "Captains"? Ask Greg Lemond.

Marcusaurelius
09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think Astana was invited to the tour de france this year and given the fickle nature of the tour organizers they may not invite Astana next year.

I always thought the strongest rider on the team is the leader. If Contador is the strongest on the team he'll be leader and if Lance comes to the team and is the strongest...

Gee, I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a knot because Lance might come to the team. I think it's a competition not a popularity conquest.
The best rider will win.

Danke

cadence90
09-23-2008, 06:33 PM
There is no reason for Contador to be expected to, or to have to, ride with or for Armstrong.

Contador has proven himself, he was won each of the GT's and has earned the right to be the leader of the team.

Even if LA says he will ride for Contador, it isn't good enough. LA should be looking elsewhere to stroke his fragile ego.

If Astana is intent on pulling LA back into the team then Contador should, and must , leave.

Absolute nonsense.
Totally agree.
If LA goes to Astana, the Kid should leave. It's hard to tell (from what I've read Bruyneel say) if he's going with the past, the future, or if he thinks the two can co-exist.
They can't.
"There is no 'I' in team, but there is in 'win' " - M. J.

I guess we'll know on the 24th.

If LA doesn't go to Astana, how about:

http://agouracycles.com/merchant/550/images/large/1064_venom_l.jpg

:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:. ..:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes:...:rolleyes :

davidlee
09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Am I mistaken or is it not every man for himself in the TT's?
It's not like Levi attacked Contador in the mountains or worked with another team to bring him back when he was OTF.
Totally lame and unclassy comments by the kid IMHO..
Levi waxed his a$$ in the TT and to quote the kid himself "what if it had only been 20k longer".
I'll tell ya what would have happened, you would have been 2nd place overall bro.
Those comments are gonna come back to haunt him.
What a punk.
d

jeffg
09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Absolute nonsense.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Contador rode the Giro and the Vuelta because he was not invited to the Tour -- end of story. Being Spanish there is pressure on him to race the Vuelta, but Lance could also have won all three GTs -- it is to his discredit he did not try. I think Contador would have raced in the LA mold, so Astana not getting an invite was perhaps a blessing for AC.

Now, AC is no Hinault. I'd pick Levi in a fight with AC every day of the week and twice on Sunday. He has more in common with pretty boy Christiano Ronaldo at ManU than the Badger.

Levi pulled on the mountains when he could, but responding to attacks is not Levi's forte. But AC could barely beat Levi and would not have if not for time bonuses and being named the leader by JB. He is a great rider, but he's also a linkswichser ...

jhcakilmer
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Am I mistaken or is it not every man for himself in the TT's?
It's not like Levi attacked Contador in the mountains or worked with another team to bring him back when he was OTF.
Totally lame and unclassy comments by the kid IMHO..
Levi waxed his a$$ in the TT and to quote the kid himself "what if it had only been 20k longer".
I'll tell ya what would have happened, you would have been 2nd place overall bro.
Those comments are gonna come back to haunt him.
What a punk.
d

+1

Dekonick
09-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah, not even a close call. If I'm Contador, there's no way in hell I want my boss (Lance owns a chunk of the team, right?) and an ex-superstar coming back for a senior tour spin around France at my expense. Jeez, I'm the best stage racer on the planet at the moment, and I'm gonna ride for Lance? NOW? I don't think so.

Either Lance rides for Contador or Contador's gotta go to a team that set up to ride for him and then ride Lance into the ground, which I assume he can do. If not, it'll be a good show. But no way those two guys should be on the same team unless Lance is there to support Contador and get publicity for his cancer campaign.

Jeez, is this even a question? Yeah, its a team sport and every team needs a leader and he's the leader.

-Ray

I agree. You can't have 2 franchise quaterbacks on the same team... It just doesn't work. Not with type A personalities...

I doubt the days of the badger and GL will repeat here...

BumbleBeeDave
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
. . . what everyone already knows and was talking about behind his back. Lance can ramble on all he wants about coming back to promote the fight against cancer, but he won't show the same honesty that Alberto does in admitting what everyone knows and is already talking about behind Lance's back--this comeback is all about Lance, Lance, Lance . . . the cancer fight is just a convenient excuse.

BBD

Elefantino
09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Contador has won three GTs in 14 months. He is the best stage rider in the world. Period, game over, no question, thank you for coming, try the veal.

Lance has been retired for three years.

If he wants to come back to promote cancer, great. Join Astana and work for Contador to promote cancer. Don't promote it by being a Cheney.

It's Contador's team. Period, game over, no question, thank you for coming, try the veal.

And tip the waitress on your way out.

Dekonick
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Contador's team.

Is it?

:cool:

Contador deserves a team. I agree 100%. He can go elsewhere if he doesn't want to be a domestique for LA.

paczki
09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree there was no point in making those comments about Levi, although it's the sort of thing they said regularly in the olden days. But it's interesting to compare Klöden and Leipheimer. Klöden is perfectly capable of placing high in any race, he's a beast.

BBB
09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Contador has won three GTs in 14 months. He is the best stage rider in the world. Period, game over, no question, thank you for coming, try the veal.

Lance has been retired for three years.

If he wants to come back to promote cancer, great. Join Astana and work for Contador to promote cancer. Don't promote it by being a Cheney.

It's Contador's team. Period, game over, no question, thank you for coming, try the veal.

And tip the waitress on your way out.

Spot on and Bruyneel would want his head read if he chose 6 months of ego gratification ahead of 6 years of potential GT wins.

jmc22
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Heres my BOLD perdiction...

LA starts his own team and gets invited to TDF, takes all of their drug tests and passes..
Contador if he is lucky to get invited to the TDF, wins a hill stage or 2, but loses the overall to LA who is a better TT
Contador eats crow by saying he was tired from the Giro and saving himself for the Velta..

Remember that you read it here 1st folks...

jeffg
09-23-2008, 11:11 PM
. . . what everyone already knows and was talking about behind his back. Lance can ramble on all he wants about coming back to promote the fight against cancer, but he won't show the same honesty that Alberto does in admitting what everyone knows and is already talking about behind Lance's back--this comeback is all about Lance, Lance, Lance . . . the cancer fight is just a convenient excuse.

BBD

You are a cynical man, Dave

I'l take the bet it raises awareness and give some benefit of the doubt to Lance over Contador's onanistic whining and "honesty." What about when he said he would love Lance on the team during the Vuelta. Honesty my a$$ He didn't have the balls to say what he felt ... of course, Johan might have let Levi win if he did ...

why don't you cut to the chase and criticize him as a father again for ****s and giggles

keno
09-24-2008, 05:13 AM
I have one word on the subject: Brett Favre.

keno

Sandy
09-24-2008, 05:37 AM
I have one word on the subject: Brett Favre.

keno

Two words. You were an engineer?? :)

Sandy

keno
09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
BrettFavre.

keno

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
You are a cynical man, Dave . . . why don't you cut to the chase and criticize him as a father again for ****s and giggles

. . . on this particular subject. If he races the TdF and loses, then keeps racing anyway to call attention to the fight against cancer, then I will most certainly retract my cynicism on this subject.

As for his kids, do you really think that if he told them honestly what this means--that he will be away from them for so much training and racing--and they reacted by saying, "Daddy, please don't do that" that he would not do it? It's a no-brainer. His kids will have issues as time goes on--or they will find someone else to be a real father figure to them, because he just plain won't be there.

Period, game over, no question, thank you for coming, try the veal.*

BBD

* . . . © the Elefantino Corp.

93legendti
09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
It seems to me the name of the game is getting into the TdF. iirc, the 2008 TdF refused to extend an entry to Astana because of doping concerns.

Lance with his palmares, increased fan interest AND "clean regimen" has a better chace of getting Astana into the 2009 TdF. After all if LA doesn't ride, what will have changed from 2008 to allow Astana in (other than AC walking away with GT wins and making the TdF look petty)?

Most sponsors WANT the TdF exposure and, without it, leave the sport quickly. 6 months with a TdF spot might be better than a few years without a TdF spot.

JMerring
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Lance with his palmares, increased fan interest AND "clean regimen" has a better chace of getting Astana into the 2009 TdF. After all if LA doesn't ride, what will have changed from 2008 to allow Astana in (other than AC walking away with GT wins and making the TdF look petty)?

ASO said long before Lance's announcement that Astana would be in in 2009. I think the fact that Contador didn't get to defend in '08 and won both the Giro and the Vuelta means that, absent a doping scandal involving Astana, their start in the '09 Tour is virtually guaranteed.

I hope that Contador eats Lance as an hors d'oeuvre to Contador's morning tea in the '09 Tour.

malcolm
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Shouldn't the leader of any GT team be the strongest rider with the best chance of winning if that particular team is a contender.

93legendti
09-24-2008, 09:14 AM
ASO said long before Lance's announcement that Astana would be in in 2009. I think the fact that Contador didn't get to defend in '08 and won both the Giro and the Vuelta means that, absent a doping scandal involving Astana, their start in the '09 Tour is virtually guaranteed.

I hope that Contador eats Lance as an hors d'oeuvre to Contador's morning tea in the '09 Tour.
Did it? Well, there's goes my theory. I hope they have TT on the last day. AC and LA will probably be even after the mountains.

paczki
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Did it? Well, there's goes my theory. I hope they have TT on the last day. AC and LA will probably be even after the mountains.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lance was a brilliant strategic climber, not the sort of pure climber that Contador is. Contador is also a wee bit younger, and that's not of small importance when we are talking about climbing. I would be very surprised if they were even after the climbs IF (big IF) Contador also has a strong team.

93legendti
09-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Lance was a brilliant strategic climber, not the sort of pure climber that Contador is. Contador is also a wee bit younger, and that's not of small importance when we are talking about climbing. I would be very surprised if they were even after the climbs IF (big IF) Contador also has a strong team.
He was the best climber in the 7 TdF's he won...his strategy was go faster than everyone else. :)

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
. . . because everyone will know his style and there will be no more getting away with tricks like his little Oscar acting performance that one time. He will have to be dependent even more on his fitness because his strategy is a known factor.

BBD

93legendti
09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
. . . because everyone will know his style and there will be no more getting away with tricks like his little Oscar acting performance that one time. He will have to be dependent even more on his fitness because his strategy is a known factor.

BBD
That was in 2001 and he won 4 more TdF's after that (as well as 2 before)...I don't think he's relying on acting.

FTR, I do not think LA can win an 8th TdF and I loved him in Dodgeball.

Climb01742
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
lance's teams, especially as the years went on, were stellar. they sure helped. if he's a bit "less", and his team isn't what postal/disco were, could be challenging.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
...I don't think he's relying on acting.

I wasn't trying to imply this was one of his usual strategies. I just mean his usual strategies and abilities are a known quantity. In the past his fitness was such that if the other contenders knew he was suddenly going to take off on one of the climbs they couldn't go with him and stay with him even if they wanted to. But THIS time around his fitness better be equal to the past or else he's going to find there's a few who CAN stay with him.

BBD

Chris
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
lance's teams, especially as the years went on, were stellar. they sure helped. if he's a bit "less", and his team isn't what postal/disco were, could be challenging.

They were also juiced to the gils. None of those guys are able to lead over the climbs anymore and keep things together like they did during the Lance days.

jmc22
09-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Okay, with todays announcement that LA is riding for Astana and plans to ride the TDF and Contador who is under contract with Astana thru 2010 saying he may quit the team if LA signs with Astana...what do you think Contador will do?
Will he ask to be traded (if you were Astana would you want to race against him...I think not)..
sit out the year?...
sit out the TDF?..
ride the TDF with LA and see who is the better rider?

Viper
09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Okay, with todays announcement that LA is riding for Astana and plans to ride the TDF and Contador who is under contract with Astana thru 2010 saying he may quit the team if LA signs with Astana...what do you think Contador will do?
Will he ask to be traded (if you were Astana would you want to race against him...I think not)..
sit out the year?...
sit out the TDF?..
ride the TDF with LA and see who is the better rider?

I think:

Elefantino
09-24-2008, 11:07 AM
. . . on this particular subject. If he races the TdF and loses, then keeps racing anyway to call attention to the fight against cancer, then I will most certainly retract my cynicism on this subject.

BBD

1) I agree.

2) I WANT ROYALTIES!

jeffg
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
. . . on this particular subject.
As for his kids, do you really think that if he told them honestly what this means--that he will be away from them for so much training and racing--and they reacted by saying, "Daddy, please don't do that" that he would not do it? It's a no-brainer. His kids will have issues as time goes on--or they will find someone else to be a real father figure to them, because he just plain won't be there.

BBD

Dave,

Perhaps you do not have a realistic understanding of the hours that most professionals work. I would bet that LA spends more time with his kids than any CEO, CFO, partner at a major law firm, managing director at any investment bank (to the extent they exist), etc. Also, it's not more than other pros. I mean, Zabel has kids and look how long he's been racing. What about all other pro athletes?

LA has unretired for what, like a year? Most of these professionals (except the pro athletes) will not retire at 40 or even 50.

I would be thrilled to have my dad be retired by 40. Trust me, I have two little boys and lost my father to leukemia when I was 16. I just do not think Lance deserves to be called out and frankly you have no clue what goes on in his family or anyone elses.

I presume your family is like Leave it to Beaver?

soulspinner
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
If they stay on the same team theyll know whats what. Burritos and beer will not be served at the top of the climb for second...Lance wont have a chance...why cant these guys leave a perfect career perfectly, ie on top?

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
. . . on child-rearing or fatherhood. My daughter is 19 now and a sophomore at a local college. She was 6 when her mother and I divorced. As most other parents do, I have just done the best I could given the life experience I had to draw on at the time. I recognize now in hindsight that at times that life experience was inadequate for me to make decisions that turned out to be the best ones in the long run. But again, I did the best I could.

I don't mean to "call out" Lance. I think he's probably doing the best he can given his life experience. I just have my own personal opinion--based on my own experience--and I'm voicing it. You're entirely free to disagree with it.

Of course I don't know everything about Lance's circumstances. I go on what I do know from my own circumstances. I think small children benefit from having both parents around. I think for boys in particular, it's important to have a good male role model locally to spend time with. I am just puzzled by how a parent with kids in Austin(?) would train and race in Europe, jet all over the place to raise money to fight cancer, have a social life, and spend adequate time with his kids, even if he does have his own private jet. The travel time and jet lag alone would seem to me to be bad for whatever training he might be doing.

So I feel for his kids, based on my knowledge of his commitments, his training, his personal history as I've read about it, and my own life experience. Sure, he may "retire" at 40, but by then his son will be almost into adolescence. I feel for his kids, and I feel for him possibly turning around 5 or 10 years from now and coming to the sudden realization that he doesn't really know his own kids.

It's my opinion, nothing more. Of course I fervently hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I wish him the best of luck. In the meantime, I'm going to move on because I see we disagree and I don't think either one of us going to convince the other.

BBD

JMerring
09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I think small children benefit from having both parents around. I think for boys in particular, it's important to have a good male role model locally to spend time with. BBD

There was an article somewhat recently (early this year or late last year, I think) in Pro Cycling magazine (I think) wherein Greg Lemond spoke extensively about the - negative - impact his pro racing career had on his family and his son in particular - very apropos of BumbleBeeDave's point.

Viper
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
There was an article somewhat recently (early this year or late last year, I think) in Pro Cycling magazine (I think) wherein Greg Lemond spoke extensively about the - negative - impact his pro racing career had on his family and his son in particular - very apropos of BumbleBeeDave's point.

The negative impact pro racing had on Greg Lemond's faimly? I heart Greg Lemond more than most. That said, perhaps a greater negative impact was Greg's (admitted) infidelity in his marriage. Greg also said for a while, everyone in his house (except the dog) was on an SSRI, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors...anti-depressive drugs.

I had to say that, cause I believe it to be true. That said, I think I, we, all of us are digging way too deep here. They're bikes, two triangles welded or glued together, forks, a seat, steering and two wheels, sit down and pedal fast. Interesting a bike is composed of the strongest structure, a triangle and one of the weakest, a circle.

Lance is back.
He wants to be in Paris wearing yellow.
You're either with him or against him.

If you're on Team Astana, you better raise your hand and say, "Ayy" in approval of the color of choice for summer Paris-wear for Lance, or you're off the team. All for one and one...for himself.

I admire Lance's return, applaud it and don't profess to know squat about his kids, wife or their future. Lance was abandoned by male figures in his life, it got him pissed off so he ran fast, swam fast and rides fast. Cool. I'm cool with that. Men dumped on his mom, now Lance dumps on women, I'm not so cool with that. However, when he clips in, it's showtime and I like drama on the pavement of France, Italy, Australia, America or wherever his show rolls.

2 great GL interviews:

http://www.roble.net/marquis/coaching/lemond98.html

http://www.mensjournal.com/feature/johnson/lemond.html

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM

. . . and I have the issue sitting somewhere around the house. I found the story poignant, revealing, and very educational. From the tone of the story, it sounded like Lemond realized what was going on with himself and his family just in time and they are now firmly on the road back to family happiness.

I am not so much trying to "call out" Lance, insult or belittle him so much as express concern that I hope he is making the right choices not only for himself but for his family. Because I have realized, at least for myself, that when all is said and done it doesn't matter how rich you are or how famous you are, all that really counts is knowing the people you love are safe and happy and that you have had some role in making that happen.

If I can go to my grave knowing that I have helped make the people I love happy and healthy people then this life will have been worthwhile. It's not about how much money or how many yellow jerseys you leave behind. And it's not worth having the love of millions of cancer survivors if your own children don't know you or end up hating you. At least it's not to me. I hope ultimately it isn't to Lance either.

BBD

jberk
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I can understand where Contador is coming from. He is probably :crap: . Look at it from his perspective. He lost a chance to ride the Tour this year because of Astana's prior history and now is probably faced with the same risk because of Lance's return (and no, unless Lance got a piece of the team as part of this comeback, he doesn't own Astana). The bottom line is if you are as talented as Contador is you shop for a team that will make you the team leader and in that capacity he has delivered. So, why shouldn't he want to change teams?

jmc22
09-24-2008, 07:02 PM
It's not if he wants to change teams, I think it's more like is he going to be permitted to change teams...afterall unless Astana elects to release him..and I don't know why they would and then have to race against him or he has a No LA clause in his agreement...he might not be permitted to go elsewhere...right?

jberk
09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
The first step in getting your release when you don't have a release clause is to create a ruckus. It doesn't matter if it is European Football, Cycling, or another sport. The game from this perspective is played the same way and if I were Alberto Contador I would be on the phone to Manny Ramirez right now and would be trying to set up a face to face meeting in the off season to get some tips.

jmc22
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
The first step in getting your release when you don't have a release clause is to create a ruckus. It doesn't matter if it is European Football, Cycling, or another sport. The game from this perspective is played the same way and if I were Alberto Contador I would be on the phone to Manny Ramirez right now and would be trying to set up a face to face meeting in the off season to get some tips.

The difference here in cycling vs baseball...Manny was traded from an AL team to a NL team, you won't face him till the WS and then is he enough to be the main reason they beat you in a 7 game series?..In cycling you would expect to face Contador in all 3 tours plus a few other events, any one of these as we have experienced, he is capiable of winning... I don't see them releasing Contador, I bet they work things out & he becomes a team player.

Elefantino
09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't see them releasing Contador, I bet they work things out & he becomes a team player.
What's in it for him?

And "money" is the wrong answer. He'll never have to work again. Or shouldn't, unless he is caught doping and has to forfeit his winnings and loses his endorsements.

I'm also puzzled by why Bruyneel would do it. Does he really want to p*ss away another half-decade of dominance for a trip down memory lane? Or does Lance have something on him?

bluesea
09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't take it as a given that Contador will become a multi-consecutive Tour de France winner. The Tour is more demanding than the Giro and the Vuelta. The Tour peloton has been diminished these two years after the culling of a small handful of riders, who might have emerged as front runners in the post Lance era. I'm open to anything happening this coming Tour.

rounder
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
. . . on child-rearing or fatherhood. My daughter is 19 now and a sophomore at a local college. She was 6 when her mother and I divorced. As most other parents do, I have just done the best I could given the life experience I had to draw on at the time. I recognize now in hindsight that at times that life experience was inadequate for me to make decisions that turned out to be the best ones in the long run. But again, I did the best I could.

BBD

Brother Dave, we all want what is best for our kids. But, if LA wants to race, and has been sucessful in the past, let him go for it. His kids will, most likely, respect him for that.

keno
09-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Being the team sport that it is, and Bruyneel is a master of that game, why would he want the possibility of dissension and divided loyalties among the domestique riders? Various riders will have differing views as to the merits of Contador and Armstrong as the rider who gives them the best chance to have more $$ in their pockets and that will affect performances and attitudes.

Since Armstrong's word as to retirement is no good, as he has shown, even promises to Contador that the team is his after this year should be of no value to him. So a short term deal shouldn't fly, unless cash is king for him. Contador should press hard, if that is needed, for a release.

keno

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Brother Dave, we all want what is best for our kids. But, if LA wants to race, and has been sucessful in the past, let him go for it. His kids will, most likely, respect him for that.

. . . REALLY hope so. I do not wish him ill. I hope things work out with him family-wise because that is very important! I'm just not sure he may fully realize it yet.

BBD

paczki
09-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Being the team sport that it is, and Bruyneel is a master of that game, why would he want the possibility of dissension and divided loyalties among the domestique riders?

I've been trying to make sense of that. He must think that a young rider on the squad will be as strong or stronger in a year than Contador. My guess is that Janez Brajkovic is the man, and that he (and maybe Phinney, that remains to be seen) will ride second or third lieutenant for Lance and gradually move in. He's much more of a rider in the Lance/Merckx/Indurain mold -- brilliant time trialer and very good in the mountains but not a pure climber -- than Contador. And I imagine a lot cheaper too.

He's probably not racing at the moment because he's getting the good stuff somewhere in a back room in the middle of a Silesian forest! (Sorry, had to make a doping joke).

Russell
09-25-2008, 08:08 AM
No way Astana is going to let Contador out of his contract; he is their future. Lance is doing one year and I doubt he can win the Tour again. As long as Lance does not embarass himself (and I also doubt that he will) then he will have provided the world-wide exposure to his cancer foundation.

jberk
09-25-2008, 09:03 AM
while it would be foolish to let Contador go to make room for a 37 year old Lance Armstrong, you never know and it is not unheard of for teams to let very good riders (and young riders) go even if they are under contract. Tom Boonen comes to mind. Most people forget that he started out with US Postal and was allowed to leave with a year to go on his contract because it became clear that he would never have the resources to win the Classics and would not have the support he needed to win the Green Jersey in the Tour.

JMerring
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't take it as a given that Contador will become a multi-consecutive Tour de France winner. The Tour is more demanding than the Giro and the Vuelta. The Tour peloton has been diminished these two years after the culling of a small handful of riders, who might have emerged as front runners in the post Lance era. I'm open to anything happening this coming Tour.

There is no question whatsoever in my mind that, barring an accident, Contador would have won the Tour this year.

johnnymossville
09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
There is no question whatsoever in my mind that, barring an accident, Contador would have won the Tour this year.

Levi would've had a better than outside chance to beat Contador in this year's tour. No winning time bonuses, no 23% mountain climbs, and long TT's work in Levi's Favor big-time.

JMerring
09-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Levi would've had a better than outside chance to beat Contador in this year's tour. No winning time bonuses, no 23% mountain climbs, and long TT's work in Levi's Favor big-time.

good points but much as i like levi, i don't think he has the killer instinct that is necessary to win. sort of like ernie's els to tiger's woods (i'm not saying that ernie is as good as tiger, but he (ernie) could be a lot better than his record indicates).

bluesea
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
With Prudhomme's recent statement it appears that there is a possibility that the upcoming Tour could be one that will begin to heal old wounds. The ultimate irony of Armstrong's projected return, is that it could be used to help clean up the image of pro cycling in terms of its drug controversy. Having suffered from past handling of drug issues, the Tour has also been tarnished by exclusion from its race roster of prominent teams and riders. The main question is if the ASO (and everyone else) is ready to abandon dwelling upon the past.

wc1934
09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I disagree here. I think Contador was right to voice his displeasure.

Levi rode for himself, soft pedalled in the mountains and left something in the tank for the final TT, just like he did in the '07 Tour.

You make it sound like Levi was out for a stroll in the park - if "soft" pedalling in the mountains is so easy, why does not everyone do it. Levi is tough, raced a good race while still being a domestique. My opinion is that Alberto was out of line with his comments towards Levi.

ClutchCargo
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
You make it sound like Levi was out for a stroll in the park - if "soft" pedalling in the mountains is so easy, why does not everyone do it. Levi is tough, raced a good race while still being a domestique. My opinion is that Alberto was out of line with his comments towards Levi.

I feel kinda sorry for ole Levi. IMO he is the real loser here ... he's going to go crazy trying to figure out who should get the cold water bottles !

Seriously, there's lots of speculation out here as to whose feelings have a right to be hurt and whether Bruyneel's crazy to be ok with LA's return or is just crazy like a fox. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Contador is lead rider for the Giro and the Vuelta while LA gets another go at the Tour. A Grand Tour is a Grand Tour, after all, and one of 'em's Contador's home country. The TdF tends to be elevated above the others more in the States than in Europe. Heck, maybe even Levi gets a shot at the Giro.

At any rate, the entertainment value of pro cycling has been ratcheted up a notch. Buckle up, it's gonna be a fun ride!

Ride on!

JMerring
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
A Grand Tour is a Grand Tour, after all, and one of 'em's Contador's home country. The TdF tends to be elevated above the others more in the States than in Europe.

i don't agree that "a grand tour is a grand tour". the tour = the masters; the giro = us/british open; vuelta = pga championship, in that order. i think most all pros (cyclists and golfers) will agree.

dauwhe
09-25-2008, 02:14 PM

I have to bet on Contador in stage races the last two years:

1st 2007 Castilla y Leon
1st 2007 Paris-Nice
1st 2007 TdF
1st 2008 Castilla y Leon
1st 2008 Pais Vasco
1st 2008 Giro
1st 2008 Vuelta

Leipheimer:

1st 2007 Tour de California
1st 2008 Tour de California

Dave