PDA

View Full Version : Creaks and Squeaks - Oy Vey!

Ray
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
So I've had this weird clicking sound that seemed related to the crank somehow. I've had creaks and squeaks in my bikes over the years and could usually isolate them and get rid of 'em pretty quick. But this kept hanging in there. It was happening when I was out of the saddle and really cranking down on the non-driveside crank. I tightened everything. I changed a chainring. I swapped cranks and bottom brackets, I lubed everything, particularly up around the headset and handlebars because I've had squeaks coming from the handlebar sleeve before. I tightened up around the seat clamp, thinking it could have been related to the saddle (despite only happening out of the saddle??? - I can be REALLY stupid when frustrated). But the damn thing wouldn't go away.

So after a couple of months of messing around, I figured I'd try swapping wheels. I did. Silence. Must have been the wheels. So I put the wheels I had been using back in to verify (before I was gonna swap the cassettes - that was the next step). No noise. Silence. So all of this could have been avoided if I'd just pulled the rear wheel off and re-mounted it. I don't think there was any play at the dropout - the wheel was in tight. Maybe the spring in the quick release was moving around a little bit? Maybe the QR lever was touching the frame and rubbing on it?

I don't know what it was, but I spent a LOOOOOONG time trying to find a problem that I ultimately fixed in about 20 seconds.

Screw the economy - I'm feeling GOOD today! Went out and did 30 miles with no noise other than my breathing and the wind in the trees. Damn I like a quiet bike.

-Ray

thwart
09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
You gotta love this... I did a similar thing recently---multiple change-outs, lubes, greases, etc. :crap:

'Twas the pedal. Sure as he*l didn't sound like it was, but it was.

So... good to hear that just the very act of removing and reinstalling something can "cure" noises. Another possibility to keep in mind.

Ray
09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
'Twas the pedal. Sure as he*l didn't sound like it was, but it was.
Oh, right. Forgot to mention I changed the pedals a couple of times too. And rode with different shoes/cleats. Wasn't that either. Glad that took care of yours.

-Ray

keno
09-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I've got a squeaky flite saddle. Tried everything, the last this am. Requested an RA from ProBikeKit.

keno

93legendti
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I thought this was going to be another thread about joint pain...

SadieKate
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I can't resist. I usually hate youtube links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4