PDA

View Full Version : OT invest for college--at least 12-15 yrs

jimcav
09-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Anyone out here have any thoughts on a possible aggressive return investment for a college fund? I heard on the news that the russian stock market is at a 10 yr low. I know things are crazy now and i don't even understand all of it, but maybe some here do? Would it be bad to invest in some sort of tracking stock (or spyder I think they are called) in a foreign market. For my oldest i have a "simple" aggressive growth 529 that invests in a mix of stuff (it is with USAA, and they seem decent) so i am doing that but wonder if it would be good to put some into something else?
thanks
jim

93legendti
09-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Anyone out here have any thoughts on a possible aggressive return investment for a college fund? I heard on the news that the russian stock market is at a 10 yr low. I know things are crazy now and i don't even understand all of it, but maybe some here do? Would it be bad to invest in some sort of tracking stock (or spyder I think they are called) in a foreign market. For my oldest i have a "simple" aggressive growth 529 that invests in a mix of stuff (it is with USAA, and they seem decent) so i am doing that but wonder if it would be good to put some into something else?
thanks
jim
We have 529's for my kids...we have been happy so far. Are you REALLY ready for the risk that comes with "a possible aggressive return investment"? A wise man once told me he didn't gamble with money he had already earned...

jimcav
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
We have 529's for my kids...we have been happy so far. Are you REALLY ready for the risk that comes with "a possible aggressive return investment"? A wise man once told me he didn't gamble with money he had already earned...

it will be mainly on top of the 529 that they both have. based upon the 529, i don't think if i put it into the 529 it would be a huge difference, and so thought I might have it be much more agressive. the usaa thing starts somewhat aggressive and then becomes progressively more conservative the older they get

thanks
jim

93legendti
09-23-2008, 12:58 PM
it will be mainly on top of the 529 that they both have. based upon the 529, i don't think if i put it into the 529 it would be a huge difference, and so thought I might have it be much more agressive. the usaa thing starts somewhat aggressive and then becomes progressively more conservative the older they get

thanks
jim
I understand..I thought you meant instead of the 529.

znfdl
09-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Jim:

I luckily got into the Virginia State College fund, where it locked in my sons tuition at a state college for four years at $16K per child. This is turning out to be relative bargain compared to where tuition costs have increased over the last 8 years. I would check out your state's plans.

Ahneida Ride
09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
My College Tuition was 2,500 frn / year ...

I made 3-4 K over the summer as a Janitor. clean toilets, remove trash.

Try that today .... Tuition is 25-50K and a janitor does not make
30K-40K frn for 3 months of work.

Cost in frns had escalated up by a factor of 10, but wages has not.

frn-acation at work. Wait till all the counterfeit bail out frns hit the
market. :eek:

jimcav
09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Jim:

I luckily got into the Virginia State College fund, where it locked in my sons tuition at a state college for four years at $16K per child. This is turning out to be relative bargain compared to where tuition costs have increased over the last 8 years. I would check out your state's plans.

I don't know where we will be--the navy moves me every 2-3 years on average. right now my state for tax purposes is IL--but not sure at all about my boys going to school there. I'd love to retire right where i am in southern california, but housing is still crazy, and even without ridiculous housing it is still a fairly expensive area.

weiwentg
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
thanks
jim

If you personally want to invest in Russia, there is likely an exchange traded fund you can use.

For your kids' college funds, please stick to a 529 plan. they offer low cost diversified portfolios. You know what happened to BP recently? You take on a whole lot of political risk by investing in Russia. More so than you do investing in China, even. KISS.

USAA is decent but there are probably better options out there.

Daverino
09-23-2008, 07:44 PM
USAA is decent but there are probably better options out there.

How does one figure out which are better?

jimcav
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
How does one figure out which are better?

i don't have the knowledge base or time to attain the expertise.
i already have 529, i was looking to do something more aggressive with 1-2k/yr.
thanks
jim

dancinkozmo
09-24-2008, 06:49 AM
hoard silver chorus/record components...

marle
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Just as saying

jimcav
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Just as saying

just asking