PDA

View Full Version : How steep is that darn hill? Bar-mounted inclinometer

Louis
11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I just came across this interesting accessory from Wallbike. I think I might get one to figure out how steep that darn hill is...

http://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/mounti.html

Russ
11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Louis,

Make sure that you get one to fit your bars... Last time I checked, they did not make one of oversized bars and I gave them away.

The buddies that I gave them to, really liked them, however.

Cheers!

Kevan
11-02-2004, 07:43 AM
and I thought my knees, heart and lungs were enough to tell me how steep a hill is. :confused:

No thanks, in this case ignorance is better than knowing. :D

Ray
11-02-2004, 08:08 AM
I just came across this interesting accessory from Wallbike. I think I might get one to figure out how steep that darn hill is...

http://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/mounti.html

The one thing to know about these is that they're not that effective when you're moving. Unless you're incredibly smooth, the bubble tends to bounce around a fair amount. It works well if you stop though, which givesyou an opportunity to take a break. I tend to put mine on for a few weeks every winter and go check out the toughest hills that I discovered over the summer. Generally, in January and February, if it's steep enough to make me wonder, I don't mind stopping for a few minutes.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2004, 08:22 AM
. . . and I just assumed it would bounce around a lot, given my experience with my home toolbox level.

But this does make me wonder again if there is a cycling computer out there that will do this. A device which would calculate average grade, maximum grade, AND vertical distance for a defined interval would be very useful in gauging which hills really ARE the toughies, versus sitting at the convenience store afterward, arguing about it over a bottle of Gatorade.

Punch the button at the bottom, punch it again at the top, and the settings go in memory--and you can do it again on the NEXT hill and review them after the ride.

Does such an animal exist that's not part of some $500 SRM-like setup?

BBDave

Richard
11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
The HAC 4 and, I think, the Polar 720 will do what you want, BBD.

jeffg
11-02-2004, 09:02 AM
The HAC 4 and, I think, the Polar 720 will do what you want, BBD.

BBD --

I use the Polar for precisely this purpose. I can look at a hill interval and check speed, cadence, HR average/maximum as well as average gradient, total vertical gain, etc. I have also used it to design stages/climbs for my trainer, and you can see some of the steeper ramps of the climbs when you plot it out. I guess the one downside is that you cannot check the stats until after the ride, but that's the way it should be IMO. Focus on the ride!

Kevan
11-02-2004, 09:41 AM
a suggestion:

Lash the toolbox level to the top of your helmet in a manner such that you can see the bubble out before you. That would be cheaper than the SRM solution.

As an incentive you might consider tying a carrot to the end of the level to draw your interest to the top of the hill. :D

I tried this myself, but found I had to use chocolate at the end of the stick and well... to hell with the hills!

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Where on earth did you learn THIS trick?!?!

Does Sandy do this with a tuna sandwich? :banana: :banana:

BBDave

Kevan
11-02-2004, 10:48 AM
He told me he "flies" up the hills. :D

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
. . . tuna sandwiches could fly.

BBDave

rustolium
11-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes, the HAC4 does it really well. Download the info to your computer and have at the whole ride and the intervals. It will cost you close to $500 with all the accessories. An SRM will not tell you %Grade that I know of, but is very accurate for power and runs around $2500.00.

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2004, 06:12 AM
. . . that’s kind of pricey. The big jug of Gatorade’s only $1.59. I think I’ll stick with that and the spirited argument. ;)

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
and I thought Russ sent me one cause he liked me !
Shame on you Russ !

This little device is great ! Love it. Especially in the Vermont Hills.
It confirms my pain. The Bubble is damped nicely and accurately
reflects the steepness.

Be nice to Russ and you just might receive one in the mail also.

Thanks Russ

JohnS
11-03-2004, 03:22 PM
I think that the majority of us don't want to know the actual gradient of the hills. That way, we can exaggerate it.

TmcDet
11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
. But this does make me wonder again if there is a cycling computer out there that will do this. A device which would calculate average grade, maximum grade, AND vertical distance for a defined interval would be very useful in gauging which hills really ARE the toughies, versus sitting at the convenience store afterward, arguing about it over a bottle of Gatorade.
BBDave

Specialized and Vetta make a computer that gives ya some info like this, there are also several GPS devices that would give you this type of information

Louis
11-03-2004, 06:51 PM
A Ride,

Russ offered me one, but it came at a price... (reasonable, though)

How does one rate a free one?

Louis

Ahneida Ride
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Louis

Ride slow and the great one will have pity on you.