PDA

View Full Version : Garmin or Tom Tom: What y'all like? Models please.

William
09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I think it's time.

Mrs William does a lot of traveling in the U.S. and can use when when I different cities. I can use it when going to group ride locations out of state so I'm not late and holding everyone up. ;) ;)

What models do you like and why please. :beer:

William

TMB
09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I think it's time.

Mrs William does a lot of traveling in the U.S. and can use when when I different cities. I can use it when going to group ride locations out of state so I'm not late and holding everyone up. ;) ;)

What models do you like and why please. :beer:

William

One of the Tom Tom One models.

Pretty cheap ( on sale at Best Buy) at about $160.

Does more than I will ever use or need and have never got lost with it.

Pretty amazing technology really. I like the voice prompts.

malcolm
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
William this was discussed at lenght with I believe 93 legend asking the question then. I think he eventually got the tom tom and has been happy.

I have a garmin nuvi that came with both usa and europe loaded already and we have been very pleased. We used it in Italy and it had streets on it that looked like ox cart paths. We never found a street or location it didn't have. We use it when we travel and in the car. It works better and has more detail than any factory gps I've used in a car. It is great for walking around an unfamiliar city. The garmin is very intuitive/easy to use. See if you can find the old thread as opinions were somewhat divided although I don't think anyone had anything particularly bad to say about either, they just liked the one they had or used.

Ahneida Ride
09-21-2008, 02:32 PM
In the a few years they will be dirt cheap and built into every
bike computer....

I can plan my trip on bikely and download it to my bike computer ...
No more clue "less" sheets !

Of course .... Big Brother will know where u are every second of the
day ..... :bike:

Pete Serotta
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a Garmin 350 and love it. A suggestion would be to go and do some "hands on" with both and see which one you like. It is alot like a Ford vs Chevy discussion :)

Ken Robb
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
my Garmin C330 works great and I download free updates on-line as needed. I sometimes wish it had oral directions with street names which came on the 340. These models are NLA but those are good features to get. I don't think all of the cheaper brands offer free updates to keep new roads, restaurants, gas station, etc. current.

1centaur
09-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I bought my wife a Nuvi 660 telling her it was for my sake so she could come rescue me on the bike if I was way out there, but she has learned to absolutely love it. A principal differentiating factor that made me go with the Nuvi was that it could take long and lat inputs to calculate directions. The Garmin computer on my bike produces long and lat. The Nuvi has another name (coordinates, I think), but the point is that many streets in New England don't have signs and I did not want to be in the position of giving here street by street turns for 40 miles especially if a car would come from a different direction anyway. When I was doing research, lower end Garmins and all Tom Toms did NOT take long/lat inputs.

djg21
09-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I bought my wife a Nuvi 660 telling her it was for my sake so she could come rescue me on the bike if I was way out there, but she has learned to absolutely love it. A principal differentiating factor that made me go with the Nuvi was that it could take long and lat inputs to calculate directions. The Garmin computer on my bike produces long and lat. The Nuvi has another name (coordinates, I think), but the point is that many streets in New England don't have signs and I did not want to be in the position of giving here street by street turns for 40 miles especially if a car would come from a different direction anyway. When I was doing research, lower end Garmins and all Tom Toms did NOT take long/lat inputs.

I have a NUVI 680 I really like. The MSN Direct is OK when there is coverage. I've had good luck with on-line purchases from http://www.tvnav.com. The proprietor maintains a GPS mailing list that is very informative.

Jeff Weir
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I've got a tomtom xl330s and it's great. good graphics. easy menu system. Tells you when to turn (with advanced warning) blah blah blah.
It also has different voices to choose from. I chose the german S&M female. If you make a wrong turn she screams at you and threatens to whip you once you get to your destination. She's hot.
Radio shack had them on sale for 250.

Bradford
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 200, the cheapest Nuvi in the lineup and it has been fantastic. I travel every week to different cities, so I really use mine a lot. I don't know what features you get as you spend more, but I only use mine for directions and it is great.

I also have an older Garmin in my wife's car. The newer ones with the touch screens are infinitely easier to use. The newer ones, even the 200, also have the whole US loaded into the unit, so I don't have to worry about loading maps like in the old one.

93legendti
09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
William this was discussed at lenght with I believe 93 legend asking the question then. I think he eventually got the tom tom and has been happy.

I have a garmin nuvi that came with both usa and europe loaded already and we have been very pleased. We used it in Italy and it had streets on it that looked like ox cart paths. We never found a street or location it didn't have. We use it when we travel and in the car. It works better and has more detail than any factory gps I've used in a car. It is great for walking around an unfamiliar city. The garmin is very intuitive/easy to use. See if you can find the old thread as opinions were somewhat divided although I don't think anyone had anything particularly bad to say about either, they just liked the one they had or used.

Good memory. :) My wife and I both have Tom Tom's and we have been very happy. The touch screen takes very little time to enter an address:

I was on the way home from the airport and was talking to 3 guests staying with us for a few days. I was too busy blabbing to realize I missed my exit. So I touched the screen, selected "home" and the voice prompts got me back on track ASAP.

Garmin is probably just as good (if not better?), but I think most companies probably have their act together.

Ken Robb
09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
my Garmin C330 works great and I download free updates on-line as needed. I sometimes wish it had oral directions with street names which came on the 340. These models are NLA but those are good features to get. I don't think all of the cheaper brands offer free updates to keep new roads, restaurants, gas station, etc. current.

What I mean above is that I would get one that tells me to turn right on "Elm" street in 100 yards rather than turn right in 100 yards like mine does. Sometimes when streets are close together I'm not sure which street I'm supposed to turn on. When I have a co-pilot/navigator she can read me the street name off the screen.

djg21
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I've got a tomtom xl330s and it's great. good graphics. easy menu system. Tells you when to turn (with advanced warning) blah blah blah.
It also has different voices to choose from. I chose the german S&M female. If you make a wrong turn she screams at you and threatens to whip you once you get to your destination. She's hot.

I always wanted to reporgram mine to be rude. You know: "You missed the turn you moron. Now pull a U-ee and get your ass in gear."

William
09-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. I had tried looking for that other thread but didn't turn it up so I started a new one.

Hmmm, S&M German female voice huh? Tom Tom is leading so far.... :D :banana: :D

William

rwsaunders
09-22-2008, 06:59 AM

93legendti
09-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Here's the thread, in case you are interested:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48264&highlight=tomtom

William
09-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Here's the thread, in case you are interested:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48264&highlight=tomtom

Thanks. :cool:

Ah, I see why it wouldn't pop up....

William

93legendti
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks. :cool:

Ah, I see why it wouldn't pop up....

William
Any time. I made the same mistake...you'd think it would be Tom Tom, but no....

Climb01742
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
william, if you can wait until the holiday season, i can tell you with 100% certainty that tomtom will be offering a sweet deal to boost gift-giving sales. patience will be rewarded.

William
09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
william, if you can wait until the holiday season, i can tell you with 100% certainty that tomtom will be offering a sweet deal to boost gift-giving sales. patience will be rewarded.

James,
As much as I would like to wait and see what’s coming, Mrs. William pretty much needs one Asap. I let her read everyone’s replies in the threads, and last night while I was teaching she went and bought a TomTom. I don’t know which model yet, I’ll find out later this afternoon. One of my students let me borrow their Garmin Nuvi last night so I’ll play around with that for a couple of days before I give it back.

Thank you for all your input folks!

William

William
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Mrs. William has used co-workers Garmins in the past. And she just purchased a TomTom the other day. After a trip to Baltimore and visting multiple clients in different parts of the city....she likes the TomTom better.

Thanks for the replies folks! :cool:

William

gt6267a
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I always wanted to reporgram mine to be rude. You know: "You missed the turn you moron. Now pull a U-ee and get your ass in gear."

the GF speaks french and german. from time to time she'll put the device in another languange for fun. the structure is in place to put in different languages, why not urban hipster, old man, ghetto, rude ...