PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 2001+ 9 speed Campy index gear

Steve in SLO
09-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I am converting an 8 speed Ergolever to 9 speed, and would like a 2001 or later 9 speed index gear. This is the one with a '1' on the tab, not a '9', which is the pre-2001 gear. I do have an earlier 9 speed gear, which I'd be happy to trade, if you'd rather.
Thanks!
Steve

93LegendTG
09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
FYI, I learned this the hard way. I have both a "9" and "1" index gear and neither fits the older pointed syle 8 speed ergos. The index cogs for the 8 speed brifters are different from the newer style and from what I have discovered, unavailable.

Steve in SLO
09-20-2008, 07:55 PM
FYI, I learned this the hard way. I have both a "9" and "1" index gear and neither fits the older pointed syle 8 speed ergos. The index cogs for the 8 speed brifters are different from the newer style and from what I have discovered, unavailable.

The thru bolt is larger on the pre-99 models, which is one reason the brifters can't be updated. I ground mine down to fit the newer gear, so I think it should work. Mine is shifting OK with the pre-2001 9 speed gear, but I will need the later gear to make it work well.