PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
.... ..

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 02:28 PM
2 questions:

1. Has anyone had significant experience with a Campa Record threadless headset? How do they compare to Kings in terms of quality and durability?
2. I know this has been discussed before, but I'm hoping to find answers that now have more miles/experience behind them....How do the Record Skeleton brakes compare to Zero Gs (ti) in terms of stopping power and modulation (Clydesdale ride, alloy clincher rims)?

Thanks.

I tried the Campy on my Peg Marcello and never did like the way it looked, felt, adjusted, etc....I switched to a CK headset (as I have pretty much on all my bikes) and have never looked back.

Hope this helps a bit,

Steve

cadence90
09-20-2008, 02:45 PM
.... ..

thwart
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I think it's an issue of very, very good vs. excellent.

Either one is more than you need, for most folks, anyway.

Some people have had aging issues with the little rubber band trim on the Record headsets, so I've heard. Strictly cosmetic.

My two Record headsets have been bulletproof, and beautiful. :banana:

djg
09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
dunno . . . I've had both record and CK, with no problems on either one.

Steve in SLO
09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=cadence90]
How do the Record Skeleton brakes compare to Zero Gs (ti) in terms of stopping power and modulation (Clydesdale ride, alloy clincher rims)?
[QUOTE]
I have Zero Gs on one bike and Record Skeleton on another. Each bike has about 3K mi on it. The Zero Gs seem to bite harder initially, but still have plenty modulation. The Records are very linear. Both have about the same ultimate stopping power. This may be due to design or pads or both--I don't know. Both are great brakes, so I'd choose the one that you think looks best to your eye or wallet.
Steve

johnnymossville
09-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I never tried Zero G's so can't help you there, but my new bike has Campy Record Skeleton on them and they look and feel great. I seriously can't see someone asking for more out of a brake, unless they want lower weight. Then they'd be asking for Less I guess. :p

Check Competitive Cyclist at the moment for a screaming deal on the Campy Record brakes.

-dustin
09-21-2008, 01:37 AM
If you're looking for a clean headset, check into the STAR headset. Euro-Asia sells them. search here, some pictures might come up. it's pretty.

Dave
09-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Never tried the zero G's, but I have read that they are very sensitive to cable housing length changes, that affect the brake centering. As far as I know, Campy is the only brand with a rear brake that intentionally produces far less braking force on the rear, to minimuize the chance of rear wheel lockup. Just about every motor vehicle hade has this type of arrangement, but not most bike brakes.

cadence90
09-21-2008, 02:09 PM
.... ..