PDA

View Full Version : Newborn 16 lbs, 6 oz...

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

As I grieve the loss of one Time bike, I celebrate the birth of a new (to me) Time bicycle coming into this world at 16 pounds, 6 ounces.

If any of you know me, you know that I am NO weight weenie. In fact, I take pride in my "heavier" bikes (with their Brooks B-17 saddles and their deep dish "aero" rims). Also, if any of you have met me, you will see that at being 6' 5" and 240 "ish" being a weight weenie just doesnt make sense.

Well, my new Time VXR comes in at this whopping low weight (for me) and, I didnt even try to make it light.

Build:

XL 2006 Time VXR Module (frame-fork-headset)
Time Monolink stem
Time Spirit seatpost
Time Monobloc handebars
Time ASX Titan crankset
Time water bottle cages
Time spacers
Dura Ace 10 7800 group
Flightdeck computer
Dura Ace 7810 pedals
Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow saddle
Kysrium SL wheelset
Michelin Pro3 Race tires

Pictures and ride report to follow.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

ericspin
09-20-2008, 01:16 PM
huh???!!!

No pics.......you, my friend, are in big trouble.

Elefantino
09-20-2008, 03:41 PM
That, my friend, is awesome.

I think that bike is so nice that you probably should sell your Hors.

zap
09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
uh-pic.

Build sounds great but ummmm............the Time crank. I love carbon cranks and the Time looks great but gosh, some people had problems with '06 vintage Time/Stronglite cranks.

BumbleBeeDave
09-20-2008, 04:01 PM
. . . officially on "Double Secret Forum Probation" until you post some pics of this bouncing newborn! ;) :p

BBD

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:28 PM
uh-pic.

Build sounds great but ummmm............the Time crank. I love carbon cranks and the Time looks great but gosh, some people had problems with '06 vintage Time/Stronglite cranks.

Not sure what the vintage of it is. I rode it 40 miles last weekend without issue...

Please tell me what the problems were.

Thanks,

Steve

zap
09-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Found the link.

I have no idea what the failure rate was/is, but I thought it best to advise you about some of the problems.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21075&highlight=asx+failure

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Found the link.

I have no idea what the failure rate was/is, but I thought it best to advise you about some of the problems.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21075&highlight=asx+failure

Thank you for the link!

I gleaning what they had to say, seeems like it happens when the bolts are not tight enough...

I will be careful-watch and listen.

Thanks!

Steve

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
. . . officially on "Double Secret Forum Probation" until you post some pics of this bouncing newborn! ;) :p

BBD

Well, we cant have that now, can we?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=592068&postcount=1

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:57 PM
huh???!!!

No pics.......you, my friend, are in big trouble.

Hate being in trouble!

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 04:58 PM
That, my friend, is awesome.

I think that bike is so nice that you probably should sell your Hors.

Everything is for sale...For the RIGHT price!

TAW
09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Hate being in trouble!

Looks great, Steve. Now that you have pictures, you're only on single secret probation without a ride report. :)

Jack Brunk
09-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Nice job Steve. Bike looks outstanding!

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Nice job Steve. Bike looks outstanding!

Jack,

Thanks! That means alot coming from you.

Steve

Jack Brunk
09-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Jack,

Thanks! That means alot coming from you.

Steve
No worries. That bike deserves it. You did a masterful job in putting it together. It may be one of the nicest larger bikes I've seen. If you had put Campy on it then it would have been maybe perfect.

Again great job. Enjoy the heck out of it.

SoCalSteve
09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
No worries. That bike deserves it. You did a masterful job in putting it together. It may be one of the nicest larger bikes I've seen. If you had put Campy on it then it would have been maybe perfect.

Again great job. Enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm getting more limber and flexible all the time. My saddle to bar drop is increasing on each ride. My bikes are starting to look more "proper".

Jerks pearl of wisdom on the other site got me to thinkin' about the right way to ride a bike...and now that I have a saddle I am comfortable with (that doesnt look like its for touring) I am much more inspired to set up all my bikes this way...

Glad you noticed.

Steve

Elefantino
09-21-2008, 06:17 AM
If you had put Campy on it then it would have been maybe perfect.
Whoa. Rough crowd. Rough crowd.

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/rodneydangerfield.jpg

(Uh ... I agree) :D

soulspinner
09-21-2008, 07:33 AM
I agree that for a larger frame it just looks right, saddle and tape nice touches. Ummm can you say Record 11? :beer:

SoCalSteve
09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree that for a larger frame it just looks right, saddle and tape nice touches. Ummm can you say Record 11? :beer:

Thank you! Thank you!

I can say Record 11, but I wont be putting that on any of my bikes anytime soon...I'm a Dura Ace 7800 fan for now and when the prices drop BIG TIME on the 7900 stuff, I may switch out shifters, brakes and front derauillers (as they work together, the rest of the gear is totally compatible, from my understanding). I am truly happy with the 7800 10 speed Dura Ace group!

But, thanks for askin'

Steve

soulspinner
09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I have 8 and 10 Campy but really like the 7900 DA look, adjustable levers, metal crank, integrated computer with altitude and heartrate.

alancw3
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
i would be interested to hear how the kysrium sl's hold up for you with your weight. i went with elites because of my weight at 220 and they have been bulletproof in over 5000 miles of riding. actually the best wheel i.e. most durable i have ever owned in 45 years of cycling.

SoCalSteve
09-21-2008, 01:33 PM
i would be interested to hear how the kyserium sl's hold up for you with your weight. i went with elites because of my weight at 220 and they have been bulletproof in over 5000 miles of riding. actually the best wheel i.e. most durable i have ever owned in 45 years of cycling.

These were on my wife's Merlin for about 10K miles and I had them rebuilt with new spokes, etc...We shall see. If I break a spoke, off they go and I will put on a set of Cosmic Carbones in their place. But, now that I am SUCH a weight weenie :banana: it will probably add about 1/2 a pound to teh weight of the bike..Oh my!

SoCalSteve
09-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I have 8 and 10 Campy but really like the 7900 DA look, adjustable levers, metal crank, integrated computer with altitude and heartrate.

Thats why I have my Polar 725x...I think the ONLY reason I would move to 7900 would be for the hidden derauiller cables. I dont particularily like the way the crankset or derauillers look...Too "XTR" for me.

So, if I do decide to switch at all, I will wait a few years for the prices to come WAY down or buy used. Seems like this was a marketing upgrade and not something that shows any REAL improvement over the 7800 grouppo...

Bobbo
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Great looking bike; congrats. How about comparisons to some of the other similar bikes you have owned?

Also, do you know what your BB to top of saddle measurement is? It just looked like not as much seatpost showing as I would have thought for someone 6-5.

SoCalSteve
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Great looking bike; congrats. How about comparisons to some of the other similar bikes you have owned?

Also, do you know what your BB to top of saddle measurement is? It just looked like not as much seatpost showing as I would have thought for someone 6-5.

Its 79cm. I have a very short inseam for someone my height...I actually have been pushing it higher and higher and lowering my bars...

And to me, it looks like a lot of seatpost showing (for one of my bikes).

Just sayin'

Steve

alancw3
09-29-2008, 06:14 AM
any ride report yet? is that a size xl frame? what made you choose the vxr versus the vxrs? thanks.

SoCalSteve
09-29-2008, 06:12 PM
any ride report yet? is that a size xl frame? what made you choose the vxr versus the vxrs? thanks.

Yes, XL..I have a Look 595 that I havent cut down yet. Want to see if I like the ISP before I got another and this deal came up on a pristine VXR, so I couldnt pass it up...Oh, I like the older carbon-paint schemes better than the newer stuff anyways.

Ok, ride report...First off, I am a big guy and all the uber-weight weenie carbon bikes I've ridden have disappointed me as they are just too flexy...This bike is a BIT better, but not like steel or Ti...I can still feel and hear the bike flex under my weight when I stand and/or pound on it.

But, on a more positive note, it truly feels like a race bike. You need to pay attention all the time. Its squirrly, but really fun and fast. And, I cannot say enough about the Michelin Pro3 Races...Great tire, I can really feel the suppleness of them. I cannot wait for them to come out with a 700 x 25 version.

Its a great looking bike, great feeling bike and if it werent so flexy (just a bit more than I'd like), it would be a 100% winner for me...Of course at 6' 5" 240ish, what can you expect, right?

All in all, its a winner, I just need to realize its limitations and/or lose 40 lbs...

Thanks for reading,

Steve

Keith A
09-29-2008, 06:53 PM
And, I cannot say enough about the Michelin Pro3 Races...Great tire, I can really feel the suppleness of them. I cannot wait for them to come out with a 700 x 25 version.I just put some Pro3 Races on my VXR and was amazed at the difference I could feel between these and another tire I've ridden. I kept thinking that the tire pressure must be low as they were so comfortable to ride on.

Ozz
09-30-2008, 10:32 AM
sweet set up....

I would have figured you for an XXL on a Time?

SoCalSteve
09-30-2008, 10:54 AM
sweet set up....

I would have figured you for an XXL on a Time?

The difference between the 2 is the headtube length...as I get more flexible and work on my core strength, I don't need the height anymore